louis pittman
01-22-2017, 3:30 PM
Does any one have a contact to buy Elk Burr - Buttons

Thanks

Louis

John K Jordan
01-22-2017, 3:38 PM
Does any one have a contact to buy Elk Burr - Buton

I never bought any but my Cousin Google gave some supplier contacts. This is one: http://www.bestelkantlers.com/elk-antler-burrs
The price doesn't look too bad.

JKJ

Ryan Mooney
01-22-2017, 4:40 PM
I've bought a few things happily from here (although no elk buttons.. more bones and cow horns):
http://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/2495.html

They're from Moscow ID not .ru :)

John K Jordan
01-22-2017, 9:48 PM
I've bought a few things happily from here (although no elk buttons.. more bones and cow horns):

Ryan, cow horns: do you make powder horns, by chance? I can't remember if we discussed this before. A friend of mine here makes a lot of these as well as uses scraps for jewelry and other small things. He said it was the plastic of the time - heat, bend, shape. He gave me a list of his favorite cow horn suppliers but I didn't think of checking them for the elk horns. I bought several books on making powder horns mostly for the education, but I'd like to make one. BTW, the latest Eew kickstarter update has the guy beginning to assemble the units.

JKJ

Ryan Mooney
01-23-2017, 12:01 AM
Ryan, cow horns: do you make powder horns, by chance? I can't remember if we discussed this before. A friend of mine here makes a lot of these as well as uses scraps for jewelry and other small things. He said it was the plastic of the time - heat, bend, shape. He gave me a list of his favorite cow horn suppliers but I didn't think of checking them for the elk horns. I bought several books on making powder horns mostly for the education, but I'd like to make one. BTW, the latest Eew kickstarter update has the guy beginning to assemble the units.
JKJ

Well no .. at least not yet :D I actually bought the last batch for drinking horns but a couple have small cracks a bit lower than I wanted so I'm not sure how well they'll do for that, likely still enough to make it work (I picked up some seconds really cheap knowing the risks which were well documented so still A+ on the vendor - they appear to be sold out of seconds at the moment). LOML was eyeballing them and commenting how nice of a diz they would make (link below for the folks who don't end up making all sorts of unpronounceable and previously unknown yarn tools..) so I suspect that some of the offcuts will turn into some of those and maybe a comb or two (I don't know why.. but I've thought the horn combs are pretty neat looking since I first saw them). I have enough that a couple could well end up as powder horns someday though, but first would have to make that kentucky long rifle that's on the long list :rolleyes:

They also have some buffalo horns, which I think are maybe a bit heavier.. certainly take a nice polish anyway.

Woot on the wheel, looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.

A diz is a tool used to turn combed wool into "roving" having it be super smooth and somewhat pretty are both features..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5BOP6sXBkM