PDA

View Full Version : Fireplace flue plug recommendations

mark kosse
01-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Howdy all,

i find my fireplace to be quite useless. Its modern and has a circulating fan but does not do much to help with heating and I just don't use it. I want to plug it up and wonder if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks, mark

glenn bradley
01-22-2017, 1:12 PM
When I saw commercially available plugs were $40 to $70 I just put on gloves, goggles and a respirator and stuffed the opening with fiberglass.

Paul F Franklin
01-22-2017, 7:37 PM
You could cut a piece or two of 2" thick rigid foam roughly to size and then use can foam to seal the gaps and hold it in place. Then if it ever needs to be removed, it would be an easy task.

Bruce Wrenn
01-22-2017, 9:31 PM
If your chimney is masonry, research the Lyemance damper. It mounts on top of chimney, with a cable that goes down thru chimney to fireplace. When you pull cable, damper snaps closed. Ours is 36 years old and totally trouble free.

mark kosse
01-24-2017, 8:21 PM
When I saw commercially available plugs were $40 to $70 I just put on gloves, goggles and a respirator and stuffed the opening with fiberglass.

Thanks Glenn, I may just do that if I put the insulation in a 6mm contractor bag. Paul, thanks but sorry, I can't see putting spray foam in there under any condition. Bruce, thanks but it's not masonry.