PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever play games?

Mark Blatter
01-22-2017, 1:06 AM
As a family, we play quite a few games. Just had our oldest daughter and her family over and played a board game tonight. Our favorite games any more are; 1) Settlers of Catan, 2) Ticket to Ride, 3) Risk, and 4) Card games like Phase 10/BS/Pit. We throw in other games at times too, particularly when it is just 2 - 3 of us, then we add in Boggle, Yahtzee and Backgammon.

Growing up my family played games, but the main standard was always Pinochle. I spent so many hours playing single and double deck Pinochle that I would hate to know how many hours it totaled.

Any one else play games very often, if so, what are your favorites?

Frederick Skelly
01-22-2017, 6:31 AM
Only once in a while, but Risk would be about my favorite.

Rich Riddle
01-22-2017, 8:49 AM
None. During childhood, the games played were Boardwalk, Battleship, Connect 4 and a few others. As an adult, other activities feel the voids of life.

Kev Williams
01-22-2017, 1:13 PM
As an adult, other activities feel the voids of life.
Yup. The wife got me a new Playstation4 for Xmas, so far I've got the controller charged up...

In the 'young adult' days we used to play Dice and Hearts and Rummy quite a bit. Anyone remember "Pigs"? ;) Uno was popular. Yahtzee came out when I was a kid, I remember my parents and all their friends and relatives played Yahtzee almost constantly. Now, I have a hand-held Yahtzee, Deal or No Deal, Draw Poker and Freecell games in the bathroom- it's the only free time available these days :D

John K Jordan
01-22-2017, 3:34 PM
Monopoly was the favorite growing up in my family. We were serious about it. Once my brother jumped up and shouted "I CHEAT" and stomped from the room. Then he came back and said "I mean YOU cheat. I win." and left again. That and chess. Sometimes Othello, Scrabble.

These days all I play in limited "spare" time is Freecell. I like it since it is all thinking and planning instead of chance. I'm hoping it helps keep my mind from deteriorating too quickly! Every time I get another 200 wins in a row I take a break for a while and do something else. It used be Sudoku but I eventually bored of that.

JKJ

paul cottingham
01-22-2017, 6:26 PM
I'm a student of chess, but not much of a player, if that makes sense. Can't concentrate hard enough. Used to be an avid quake and unreal tournament player and used to run one of the busiest servers in the world. Those games don't run well on a Mac though, so I don't play anymore.

Mike Dowell
01-22-2017, 6:38 PM
Yup. The wife got me a new Playstation4 for Xmas, so far I've got the controller charged up...

In the 'young adult' days we used to play Dice and Hearts and Rummy quite a bit. Anyone remember "Pigs"? ;) Uno was popular. Yahtzee came out when I was a kid, I remember my parents and all their friends and relatives played Yahtzee almost constantly. Now, I have a hand-held Yahtzee, Deal or No Deal, Draw Poker and Freecell games in the bathroom- it's the only free time available these days :DMe too! The PS4 is a wonderful machine Kev. It does a LOT more than just play PS4 games.

John K Jordan
01-22-2017, 9:55 PM
I'm a student of chess, but not much of a player, if that makes sense. Can't concentrate hard enough.

Yes, that makes perfect sense.

I got into playing a lot in the 70s when I worked with a guy who was a real chess addict. He got me playing again - we played several speed games at each 15 minute break and one long game for our lunch break. For the first month or so he beat me soundly, every single game. Fortunately I was far more stubborn than easily humiliated and eventually I was beating him nearly every game. Like everything else, I guess - practice, practice.

JKJ

Van Huskey
01-23-2017, 5:41 PM
My (adult) families favorite is Cards Against Humanity.

dennis davidson
01-23-2017, 8:33 PM
Try Splendor, a great 2 or 3 person game of strategy.

Justin Ludwig
01-24-2017, 6:38 AM
On my phone I play a bit of Chess and 8Ball Pool. Growing up was Rummy and Spades and random board games. I love Trivial Pursuit but no one wants to play me because I'm a sponge of useless knowledge and "fun facts". Now if I could just get those memories to more important things like "get milk" and "don't forget the dog at the shop".

My brothers-in-law love Fluxx and other super nerdy games. I really enjoy playing with them because they about 500 times smarter than me. I have to drink when I play them, it's my excuse when I say something stupid.

Van Huskey
01-26-2017, 2:56 AM
My brothers-in-law love Fluxx and other super nerdy games.

With my BIL every game is like Fluxx, in that he changes the rules throughout the game...

Justin Ludwig
01-26-2017, 6:26 AM
With my BIL every game is like Fluxx, in that he changes the rules throughout the game...

That suxx.

That's one of the cool and irritating things about Fluxx - you think, "Sweet, I'm about to win," only for someone to change the goal or make you dump your hand right before your turn.