PDA

View Full Version : How to Attach Images Inline

Aaron Koehl
10-12-2005, 12:19 AM
How to Attach Images Inline,
or, What You've All Been Waiting For (tm).

1. Start a New Post.

2. Click on the Paperclip (or Manage Attachments), and
upload your pictures as usual:

3. Now, click on the little Arrow next to the Paperclip. You will get a drop-down list of all images available for you to attach inline.

(It will insert an "ATTACH" tag, as follows.).

...and VOILA!

:D

Lee DeRaud
10-12-2005, 1:06 AM
Ah, cool, just tried it on a previous post: you can move the attachments around after the fact.:D

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 8:01 AM
OK, I'll try this and see how brain dead I actually am!:rolleyes:

There should be a picture of an extremely fast Porsche Turbo.

And, above this line, should be a picture of the general area where that particular Porsche calls "home"!:D

If this works, it's really pretty slick!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 8:02 AM
Yeahhhhhh baby!!!! Hey, one other question: Is the restriction still 5 pics per post???? Sorry if that's shown or mentioned elsewhere...:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
10-12-2005, 8:13 AM
There used to be a limit of 5 pictures per post. Is that limit still in place?

Aaron Koehl
10-12-2005, 9:11 AM
The limit is still in place.

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 9:16 AM

Dang it! Is that something "built-in" to the app or is it something, which can be controlled at the Admin. end? It's not often that I would personally do more than 5 pics, but I have had occasion where it would've been nice.:) :cool:

Mark Singer
10-12-2005, 9:17 AM
OK, I'll try this and see how brain dead I actually am!:rolleyes:

There should be a picture of an extremely fast Porsche Turbo.

And, above this line, should be a picture of the general area where that particular Porsche calls "home"!:D

If this works, it's really pretty slick!:) :cool:

John,
Is that my lumber hauler? You must have taken the rack off in Photoshop:confused:

Jeff Sudmeier
10-12-2005, 9:19 AM
Is there a way to get the full sized images to show in the posts, instead of the thumbs?

Clicking on each one of the thumbs and getting a pop up can be a pain....

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 9:19 AM
John,
Is that my lumber hauler? You must have taken the rack off in Photoshop:confused:

Drat! You caught me!:eek: :D :cool:

Frank Pellow
10-12-2005, 9:21 AM
Can't we get rid of the limit? It certainly is going to be a pain when we start to put together our shop tours.

Karl Laustrup
10-12-2005, 9:26 AM
I have a question about the pix being posted. The ones I've seen so far are all thumbs and one must click to see the full version. I have no problem with that, just wondering if this is the case now?

I also noticed that one picture that Aaron posted was somewhat over the 100kb limit that has been the max. Has the pic limit been raised? :)

TIA from this somewhat computer challenged donderhead. :D

Karl

Aaron Koehl
10-12-2005, 9:35 AM
I have a question about the pix being posted. The ones I've seen so far are all thumbs and one must click to see the full version. I have no problem with that, just wondering if this is the case now?

Thumbs are now automatically generated- it might take a little getting used to, but it should save some bandwidth. In particular, on hot threads with lots of pictures, where you're viewing the thread multiple times per week, you will be downloading the thumbnails each time- only needing to click on the picture if you need a refresher.

The exception to the thumbnails are .gif images. Once I choose a different image library, I will add .gif images to the thumbnails list too.

I also noticed that one picture that Aaron posted was somewhat over the 100kb limit that has been the max. Has the pic limit been raised? :)

Karl, which picture are you referring to? The limit is actually set at 110,400 bytes.

Karl Laustrup
10-12-2005, 2:05 PM
Thanks for the answers Aaron. The explanation of the TN's makes perfect sense.

As far as that pic I was talking about I can't find it now, but I'm almost sure it was within the 110kb you listed. I thought it was right at the 100kb mark.

Karl

Tom Hamilton
10-12-2005, 2:32 PM
So, this should be a shop photo: 24692

and after several paragraphs of scintilling prose I could then insert a photo of our boat: 24691:)

Let's see how I did.

TJH

Jim Becker
10-12-2005, 6:53 PM
Is there a way to get the full sized images to show in the posts, instead of the thumbs?

Clicking on each one of the thumbs and getting a pop up can be a pain....

I was going to ask the same thing...I don't prefer the thumbs, either. But I see you answered it.

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 7:05 PM
FWIW and I don't know if/how this works on the Mac side but, if you want the thumbnail full-size pics to open in a seperate browser window, simply depress your "Shift" key while clicking on the thumbnail. Alternatively, right-click on the thumb and click on "Open link in new window". This helps to prevent from closing up the main thread window by mistake. (DAMHIKT!):D :) :cool:

Bruce Page
10-12-2005, 10:07 PM
I was going to ask the same thing...I don't prefer the thumbs, either. But I see you answered it.
I'm not a big fan of the thumbs either. I'd much rather wait the few extra seconds for the full size images. :(

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm not a big fan of the thumbs either. I'd much rather wait the few extra seconds for the full size images. :(

Hey Bruce & Jim, while I guess I'm partial to the regular images, as well, I can see Aaron's point and objective. Among other things, although our future connection should be about as fast as we are currently, SMC growth can easily clog it up some more and we're not going to have the headroom as we now enjoy with a bigger pipe. The bandwidth issue makes much sense to me.:) Besides, we picked up the "in-line" feature, which I think is a real fair trade-off! Personally, I don't mind the thumbs as much as not being able to put more than 5 pics in the same data field. It's usually not a problem for me, but I've seen quite a few threads with guys trying to run a consecutive tutorial on a project and it gets chopped up if someone replies too early after the first post. But hey, nobody ever said it was ALL going to be perfect!:) :cool:

Andy Hoyt
10-12-2005, 11:05 PM
It's usually not a problem for me, but I've seen quite a few threads with guys trying to run a consecutive tutorial on a project and it gets chopped up if someone replies too early after the first post.

If it's impossible to post more than five pics per post, perhaps there is a method to prepare a post with five pics and then put it in some sort of holding pattern until the next post with more pics has been written up and then they can both get published at the same time.

Failing that - At the end of Post #1 simply write something like, "But wait! There's more!

Noel Hegan
10-29-2005, 7:43 PM
Just testing picture posting, please ignore:

Noel Hegan
10-29-2005, 7:44 PM
Ah, the thumbnail thing works, great.

Rgds

Noel

Steve Ash
11-02-2005, 2:29 PM
I gotta try....

Cool it worked for me.....now I don't feel so Stoopid!

Doug Shepard
11-02-2005, 8:31 PM
If it's impossible to post more than five pics per post, perhaps there is a method to prepare a post with five pics and then put it in some sort of holding pattern until the next post with more pics has been written up and then they can both get published at the same time.

Failing that - At the end of Post #1 simply write something like, "But wait! There's more!

I haven't done this yet, but I think it would work.
1) Calculate the number of sequential posts you're going to need based on the number of pics you have and also factoring in the total size limit per post. Ex: 12 pics needs 3 posts (5+5+2) - assuming there aren't total pic size issues which force you to divide things up a bit differently.
2) Prepare the first post and attach the pics then submit it
3) Before anyone else has a chance to reply to it, quickly add 2 more replies as placeholders.
4) Then edit each of the replies to add the text and other pics you need.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't work?

Lee DeRaud
11-02-2005, 8:49 PM
I haven't done this yet, but I think it would work.
1) Calculate the number of sequential posts you're going to need based on the number of pics you have and also factoring in the total size limit per post. Ex: 12 pics needs 3 posts (5+5+2) - assuming there aren't total pic size issues which force you to divide things up a bit differently.
2) Prepare the first post and attach the pics then submit it
3) Before anyone else has a chance to reply to it, quickly add 2 more replies as placeholders.
4) Then edit each of the replies to add the text and other pics you need.

Does anyone know why this wouldn't work?Should work...
The originator of a thread can edit the title, right? So just title the thread "Pending" or something until you've got all the posts composed and submitted, then edit the first one to change the thread title.

Charlie Plesums
11-04-2005, 4:47 PM
Thumbs ... should save some bandwidth. In particular, on hot threads with lots of pictures, where you're viewing the thread multiple times per week, you will be downloading the thumbnails each time- only needing to click on the picture if you need a refresher. (snip)

As we suck up more and more bandwidth, maybe we should consider a cultural change... No more posts that only say "wonderful work." Encourage posts with specific suggestions, etc., and maybe find a way of giving someone a score, but I get pretty tired of checking in on a topic (or the updates to a topic), downloading the whole thread only to find that it is just 10 more messages that say "nice job."

I believe we have a survey feature... is it low overhead? Maybe project pictures should be entered as a survey so people can say "great job" (score 5), or "good job" (score 4) or whatever (nobody seems to say, "you should have been able to do better than that" - score 1) without the threads expanding so much.

And maybe the avitars should be limited to pictures of the person "speaking," not pets, kids, tools, toys, logos, etc. that take bandwidth but don't add to the personal discussion this forum is noted for.

Jim Becker
11-04-2005, 5:13 PM
Charlie, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point...I think it is good for the community that folks express their appreciation of work by others, even if it's in a very succinct way. SMC's server bandwidth is not even close to constrained at this point. The point of the thumbs is to enhance performance for community members "out there" who are on dialup and don't have the downstream bandwidth that many of us have with higher speed services. (I'll be honest, I don't prefer them for functional viewing reasons, but that's a personal preference and I do understand what it can be like for someone stuck on a dialup line 'cause occastionally I get in that situation when traveling)

I certainly would encourage folks to ASK for input or critique if they are interested and willing to accept honest opinions, but when it's not requested, it's generally accepted in nearly all forums that critique should not be given.

Charlie Plesums
11-05-2005, 9:45 AM
Charlie, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point...I think it is good for the community that folks express their appreciation of work by others, even if it's in a very succinct way. SMC's server bandwidth is not even close to constrained at this point. The point of the thumbs is to enhance performance for community members "out there" who are on dialup and don't have the downstream bandwidth that many of us have with higher speed services. (I'll be honest, I don't prefer them for functional viewing reasons, but that's a personal preference and I do understand what it can be like for someone stuck on a dialup line 'cause occastionally I get in that situation when traveling)

I certainly would encourage folks to ASK for input or critique if they are interested and willing to accept honest opinions, but when it's not requested, it's generally accepted in nearly all forums that critique should not be given.
I understand that we have a pretty good server now, where the server badwidth is not constrained. I do believe that Aaron was warning us that the 768 Kbps upload telecomm bandwidth was adequate for SMC now, but didn't leave a lot of room for growth. Therefore I think we need to conserve that bandwidth. That is why I was suggesting we look for a way to allow members to "vote" their admiration more efficiently. And I love the discussions like "...beautiful piece. How did you create...."

I feel the pain of dialup... although my download speed at home has been running close to 3 mbps lately, I was on a 28 kbps dial up for 8 days last month! I agree on the thumbnail point for that reason (even though I don't like it as much when I have the high speed line).

Rob Blaustein
11-22-2005, 5:11 PM
Can one attach photos to PMs? I can't seem to figure out how to do it. If not, am I alone in thinking that this feature would come in handy?

Keith Outten
11-22-2005, 8:47 PM
Rob,

Sorry but the Private Message function doesn't have the capability of attaching pictures.

Charlie,

Considering we are not sharing our bandwidth with other servers and our entire pipe is dedicated to just SMC we have enough bandwidth to support our needs for the time being. Aaron was probably refering to future growth, we are growing at a fairly steady rate and have been for the last two years. When I signed the current contract with Cox Cable I was assured they would be able to provide a larger pipe next year when our bandwidth needs increase. Verizon has also announced that they would be providing fiber to the premise in our area next year so we are comfortable that we will have additional bandwidth available when we need it for SMC. If we needed additional bandwidth tomorrow we could add another line and load balance the two, of course our expenses would also double.

The thumbnail feature was added by the new version of our software and we have the ability to turn it on or off. Although it does add steps for those with broadband connections it makes SMC much more enjoyable for those less fortunate, I use a dialup connection every now and then so I appreciate how much faster pages load using the new thumbnail feature. There is a bandwidth savings as well, this should help us to conserve our resources and possibly add new services in time.

As far as how our Members respond to messages I have never felt we should prescribe any type of protocol other than respecting each others point of view.

I hope everyone is enjoying our new home, all is well.

John Bailey
11-22-2005, 9:12 PM
I'm going to try this too!!

First I try to come up with some kind of pithy verbage, or nounage. (Always wondered if that was a word.) Then add a picture of all my favourites. (In this case I've got a sailboat, kayak, a dingy I built, oh yea, most importantly, the wife.)

Then, I go on with wit and wisdom, until I realize I need another picture so I don't completely bore the readers. (This one is of my favourite bandsaw.)

And then I end the thing lest I become up the "Creek" without a paddle.

We'll see.

John

I don't suppose there's a way of wrapping the text around the pictures, is there?

Boyd Gathwright
11-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Karl,

.... There is a way to post a larger picture at a lower Kb size and I use it not only to reduce the size of the pic but to save hard drive space as well. I posted it a few weeks back. It gets rid of all the extra baggage that is imbedded in the pic itself.
Ref: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25771 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25771)

Hope this helps, good luck :).

Boyd

TIA from this somewhat computer challenged donderhead. :D

Karl

Andy Hoyt
01-22-2006, 7:02 PM
Bah Da Bump.

Aaron you should make a closed sticky out of this.

Frank Chaffee
01-22-2006, 9:32 PM
…But for us slowbanders, this thumbnail thing is important.

FWIW and I don't know if/how this works on the Mac side but, if you want the thumbnail full-size pics to open in a seperate browser window, simply depress your "Shift" key while clicking on the thumbnail. Alternatively, right-click on the thumb and click on "Open link in new window". This helps to prevent from closing up the main thread window by mistake. (DAMHIKT!):D :) :cool:

I almost always right click and open in new window, and this is why: Out where I live the telco and the farmers have an agreement in which if the telco uses phone line outfitted with barbs, then farmers will allow the wire to be strung on fenceposts. Our telephony may be slow but we have most of the area covered now, and even some cow herds are plugging into the internet.

I will, for instance scroll down the SMC new posts, opening in new windows as I go, and let them open as they will while I continue reading. When I come to a post with thumbnails I will right click open them, read the post, then look at the pics.

To make this work smoothly, here is what I do (windows):

To begin set-up open two browser windows to a bare desktop. I use “about:blank” as my homepage so I don’t waste time sending out packets requesting web pages.

Right click on the time and select Tile Windows Vertically.

Close one of the two browser windows. Move the remaining window to the center of the screen, then maximize it.

At this point every link opened in a new window will be ˝ screen width and will open in the center. Simply clicking on the maximized page will disappear the new link while it downloads, and it can be displayed later.

I usually have 10 to 30 windows open or downloading, and my system only became unstable when I hit 85 windows. Many thanks to John Miliunas for that!

Frank

Mark J Bachler
01-24-2006, 7:06 AM
Test Test just seeing how a PDF file looks. How about Auto CAD dwg. files?

Jpeg's are shown, PDF's can be opened if you have Acrobat Reader, Dwg's are not allowed. BUT I can change my Dwg. Auto CAD files to PDF's and post them.

Andy Hoyt
01-24-2006, 8:51 AM
Good one Mark. All three opened up.

Mark J Bachler
01-24-2006, 8:56 AM
Good one Mark. All three opened up.

You could open the DWG. file?

Heck all I got was a little "dodah" in the corner of the page when I tried to open it.

Andy Hoyt
01-24-2006, 9:01 AM
You could open the DWG. file?

Heck all I got was a little "dodah" in the corner of the page when I tried to open it.

Clicked it and Autodesk's old VoloView program automatically launched and opened it right up. I have no idea how these things work - especially when they do.

Luther Oswalt
02-08-2006, 1:58 PM
Just trying to post a picture .... and it worked! Man that was neat and easy! That's th' shop dog and her ball. and my new General!
Leo

Per Swenson
03-04-2006, 2:26 PM
This is a tutorial experiment for the guy behind me

Nick Clayton
03-30-2006, 7:05 AM

Could I manage to get it to work this time????

The preview says yes:D

Seth Poorman
04-14-2006, 2:41 AM
Hmmmmmm:rolleyes: After I hit the upload button it says (this page cannot be displayed) What am I doing wrong!:(

Al Navas
05-11-2006, 7:01 AM
This should show our backyard on a nice morning:

I had previously used the URL location function, but prefer this upload option, as SMC does its own hosting. Nice!

Al

rick fulton
05-11-2006, 7:30 AM
Al - nice yard. xcellent test photo. rick

Al Navas
05-11-2006, 8:51 AM
Thanks for the nice words, Rick.

The yard keeps us busy, as we mow around 5 acres - we hope it will keep us young :D !

Al

Mike Hill
06-11-2006, 11:17 AM
Want to add some pictures of my shop to the General Forum in the near future, so this is a test.

Mike
40623Test of insert

Jerry White
08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
A test for attaching picture:

Joe Blankshain
08-06-2006, 2:52 PM
This is a test.

Jeff Cord
08-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Here's a picture of a door.
Wonder if it worked.

Bruce Shiverdecker
08-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Thanks You AARON! I really appreciate it! We ALL do!

Bruce

Dave A. Jackson
11-18-2006, 9:08 AM
Thanks Aaron I never would have figured that one out on my own
Dave

Bonnie Campbell
12-09-2006, 4:58 PM
Just a test.....52151

Jack Ferrell
12-15-2006, 8:13 PM
testing
ok

"Jason Belous"
12-30-2006, 9:30 PM
Congrats on everybody elses sucess with the upload. I am following the directions but I keep getting a page can not be displayed when I hit the upload button after i make my pick with the browser. any suggestions.

Jim Becker
12-30-2006, 9:37 PM
Jason, are your picture files at or under the 100kb limit in file size? Are they a JPG or other valid image format?

"Jason Belous"
12-30-2006, 10:13 PM
jim the size was the problem. resized and good to go, i was unaware of the limitation on size. thank you for you imput.

Don Bullock
12-30-2006, 10:26 PM
For those like me who have a pop up blocker turned on, this feature won't work. :o That's why I didn't use it on one of my posts. I just figured out why it didn't work.

Don Bullock
12-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Now I'll try it: 53852

Success!!!!! Sorry for the goof on the post showing pictures of my new Craftsman BS. Now I know how to do it right.:D

Jim Becker
12-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Don, that's an important point..."pop-up" blockers affect many forums' functions including some at SMC. Just set this site in the blocker(s) to allow them here. (Don't forget that the current versions of most browsers have integral pop-up blocking in addition to any 3rd party application you may be running...you need to deal with it in both places)

David Stratton
01-02-2007, 5:58 PM
I had trouble figuring this out a week ago so here goes again.
This is my scale for weighing out epoxy.
After reading all the above posts I bet I finally got it. We'll see.

Joash Boyton
01-02-2007, 6:34 PM
Sorry but the Private Message function doesn't have the capability of attaching

There is a way of sending images by PM, go to photobucket, upload your photos, when you have uploaded your photo, it will have a link for inserting in forums, something like

[IMAGE=HTTP://photobucket:***************etc:[/IMAGE]

when you send your PM, the photo will be inserted into the PM, where you put the link code and will be as big as the original photo was.

I'm not sure if this is meant to be, but just something I found out.

Joash

Pete Brown
01-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Why do some posts have a nice little section that contains the thumbnails and others do not? I used attachments in other posts, but they just appear inline.

Pete

Jim Becker
01-19-2007, 3:11 PM
Pete, uploading up to five attachments per post without using the in-line feature will result in the box at the bottom of the post you mention. Using in-line (the paperclip at the top of the advanced edit box) eliminates the box as there is nothing to put in it as long as you actually do the in-line attachment. The third way folks supply images is by linking to pictures on a server away from SMC. The first two are recommended so that the information stays with the posts in the SCM archive. The latter places the images at risk should the remote server go away or the OP lose the rights to post/store the images on that remote site.

Pete Brown
01-19-2007, 4:31 PM
Thanks Jim.

The only way I saw to upload images was to use the attachment paperclip (or link to them on my server). I wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly.

Pete

Gail LaPorte
02-03-2007, 9:14 AM
Am trying to post a picture lets see what I get .there might be a picture - Test - 56881 . This is a wedding picture on a mirror.

Stephen C Streetman
02-09-2007, 4:14 PM
When I try to attach SU files I browse, upload, and it shows the attachment. Come back to the message and use the paperclip which shows the attachmet and I highlight. This is what I get:

No image! Any thoughts on why?

Also I thought when I uploaded to the site it would store. The only attachment that shows when I use the paperclip is the most recently uploaded image. How do you attach other images that have been uploaded to the site?
Thanks.
Steve

Jim Becker
02-09-2007, 5:46 PM
Steve, displayable images need to be JPG format. (GIF will display after clicking but not as a thumbnail) To do that from SketchUp!, put the view on the screen you want to see and then use Export-->2D and select JPG format.

Stephen C Streetman
02-09-2007, 6:00 PM
Got it. Thanks Jim.
Now I need to figure out how to size my images. Will be working on that.
Steve

Mike Langford
02-11-2007, 11:48 PM
I'm just trying to post a picture.....

This is just a test.....now back to your regularly scheduled program!;)

Mike Langford
02-11-2007, 11:52 PM
Hey,hey....Looks like it worked!! Lookout guys & gals.....;)

Eddie R Norton
02-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Just testing the procedure. Thanks.

Mike Langford
02-26-2007, 10:28 AM
O.K.......Let's try this again! (This Is A Test :D )

This sould be a picture of 'Ole Norm....

.....And here is a picture of my best huntin' dawgs....(they're brothers - can you tell?)

WOW! It Worked......Thanks Jim!

Alex Yeilding
03-16-2007, 7:37 PM
test

Ronald L Cool
03-17-2007, 10:35 AM
`when i hit the paper clip i browse computer for image and select image the click upload then i get The page cannot be displayed:mad: and that is as far as i get help

jim gossage
03-18-2007, 9:55 AM
just a test60556

jim gossage
03-18-2007, 10:03 AM
`when i hit the paper clip i browse computer for image and select image the click upload then i get The page cannot be displayed:mad: and that is as far as i get help

ronald,
i got the same message today. i was trying to download too large a file. export your file to a smaller file size first (<110 MB) and then retry.

jim gossage
03-18-2007, 10:04 AM
i tried to insert several pics into a post, and was successful with 4 of the 5. on the fifth pic i received a message that i had already uploaded the file to another thread. how do i get that pic into another thread as a thumbnail?

Jason Anders
03-22-2007, 8:49 PM
testing image attach

Lance Norris
04-08-2007, 12:09 AM
test for learning

Lance Norris
04-08-2007, 12:12 AM
hi... second test thanks

Michael Weber
07-06-2007, 2:35 PM
testing, testing 123 multiple picture attempt.:)

works by jimminie

Deck Reagan
09-23-2007, 9:29 PM
Test.

Tom Cowie
11-14-2007, 10:38 PM
posted some pix tonight. It loaded fine for the first four but when
I posted the following pixs on a "Reply" to the same thread it said that the forum had a " Data Base Error" and would not upload my pix . In fact I've tried most everything and nothing seems to work (Re size, compress,check and see if the pix would upload to another site with the same kb limit and they do. What gives?

Tom

Dave Cohen
11-21-2007, 5:05 PM
the outside: 75618

mike holden
11-21-2007, 8:31 PM
This is a test.
If this had been an actual response, it would have included content
This has been a test.

mike holden
11-21-2007, 8:54 PM
test
blah, blah, blah

John Borgwardt
11-30-2007, 8:25 PM
trying it out

Doug Hobkirk
02-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Ain't she sweet...

bobby crutcher
02-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi I am new to this site and it seems confusing to me about how to post and get going so I am going to try to do something here and time will tell

Keith Outten
02-08-2008, 11:30 PM
Bobby,

You can upload your images directly here, use the manage attachments area to select and upload with your posts. This is preferable to using MS Word which some of our Members may not own.

Dan Henry
02-24-2008, 4:37 PM
Test

Dan

Rob Franz
02-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Just a test.

Nice, got it to work.

Thanks!

Colin Giersberg
03-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Testing, 1, 2, 3.....

Colin Giersberg
03-01-2008, 12:56 AM
Ah, ha, success.

Ken Potts
03-08-2008, 6:02 PM
This is a test, sample.

Bill Edwards(2)
04-03-2008, 2:04 PM

http://www.billsid.com/img/bench1.jpg

Jeff Bratt
05-09-2008, 7:35 PM
Hey Aaron:

After seeing this thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=83897 -
can we deduce that the 5 pictures-per-post limit no longer applies?

Keith Outten
05-10-2008, 9:02 AM
Jeff,

If you right click on any of Mike's pictures you will see that they are being hosted somewhere other than SawMill Creek. There is no limit in threads to how many links you can make, that is how Mike got so many pictures in his post. We still have a five picture limit per post.

The down side to uploading your pictures to another host is that in time they will disappear and the links will cease to work. Pictures hosted here on our server stay here for everyone to enjoy. Note that some woodworking forums delete posts and pictures after only 30 days and some don't allow pictures at all. Our archives here are valuable to everyone here and will be to woodworkers yet to come.

Steve Flavin001
07-10-2008, 8:33 AM
but what is the difference between attaching an image (this thread) using the paper clip, and uploading a JPEG file using the Manage Attachments window within the Attach files box border below - same thing?

Also, how do you separate photos as you did with a title or comment about the photo such as John Miliunas' car and beach photos.?

Thank you

S.

Rob Floyd
07-16-2008, 9:07 PM
This is a table saw

I hope

John Michaels
08-17-2008, 2:11 AM
hope this works

pat fowler
03-24-2009, 11:55 AM
113925 first attempt at posting a picture and not sure it is going to work so this is a test.

Rick Neely
10-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Attaching a pic.

Should see a pic above.

Bingo!

Jon Grider
01-01-2010, 9:53 PM
Did it work this time?

Paul Murphy
01-08-2010, 1:04 PM
just a test

Eric Kosanovich
02-14-2010, 5:05 AM
testing randome photos
Edit: now how would i delete a photo after posting?
Ok i worked it out.
Thanks

Carl L Goff
02-16-2010, 12:18 PM
This is a pictures test.142263[/ATTAC[ATTACH]142263H]

Carl L Goff
02-16-2010, 12:50 PM
This is another test.

Pat O'malley
02-16-2010, 11:17 PM
just testing

test

David Christopher
02-16-2010, 11:27 PM
ha

this is a test also

Sandy Smith
02-24-2010, 7:34 PM

Thank you for the tutorial

Richard Madden
05-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Testing,

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh17/RickM1_album/031.jpg

Rick Rutten
09-10-2010, 9:02 PM
Test image pic.

Richard Wagner
09-13-2010, 1:56 PM
Just had to try this to see if I can follow directions:

Mel Miller
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
pic test by new member

David Cefai
11-16-2010, 1:49 PM
I think one would need to see if there still are users using modems. it would take forever to load a thread with large inline pics.

Also some netbooks are very slow (mine is) even on broadband. That would mean that when using the netbook I would effectively be unable to visit the creek.

I'm not saying don't do it 'cos of me but check (or poll) the menbership first.

Jim Colombo
12-24-2010, 4:21 PM
how do I attach a picture to a "Reply to Thread" since there is no paper clip?

Steve Schlumpf
12-24-2010, 4:25 PM
Jim - to the right of the Insert Link icon is the image link. You can select to retrieve an image from either your computer or a URL. Your other option is to click on Advanced and use the paper clip.

David Stratton
12-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Steve - I have been attempting to post a picture to the Grizzly group and in that situation the only thing that comes up is a window asking for the URL of the image, no option to post from my computer. Here in the forum it gives the option of my computer or the URL. Any thoughts. It must be working for others because there are pictures there. Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 11:37 AM
David - I am not familiar with the Grizzly group. Do you have a link that I can use to check out the photo issue?

David Stratton
12-26-2010, 4:50 PM
Steve,
Right here on this page if you go up to the header and click the dropdown at "community" then click groups it will take you to the groups area where you can then click on the "Grizzly Green Monster Group". Roger Chandler has told me there should be an icon in the upper right corner to click on to upload images but I have tried both Firefox and Google Chrome and still find no such icon. The main thing though is that when I attempt to attach an image when responding in a thread I do not get the option to retrieve an image from "my computer", just the window asking for the url of the image. Hope you have better luck than I did.

Steve Schlumpf
12-26-2010, 5:15 PM
David - in order to see what the problem was - I had to temporarily join your group. Once joined - here is what I saw:

When I clicked on + Add Pictures (I highlighted it with a red box) - this is the screen that opened:

Click on the area (again highlighted in Red) that is labeled - Add Files. That allows you to access your computer and upload the photo you want.

Give it a try and if you have any questions - let me know here or PM me directly.

Jeff Fagen
01-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Since the attachment up loading was changed I can't up load photos anymore.It says the images are to large but I have'nt changed anything.Any ideas?

David Christopher
01-02-2011, 11:56 PM
this is way different than before

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2011, 7:27 AM
Jeff - what size photo are you trying to upload?

Jeff Fagen
01-03-2011, 8:03 PM
Thanks Steve, 180 DPI,3456 x 2592 ,2.16 MB

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2011, 9:29 PM
Jeff - the limits for a jpg photo are 800 x 600 pixels with a file size no larger than 107 KB. I know the old software was able to downsize your photos automatically if you didn't do it yourself but I think that was a special patch that Aaron had written.

Do you have a graphics program you can use to resize your photos? If not, there are a number of free programs that work quite well. PM me if you would like some recommendations.

Jeff Fagen
01-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks Steve,here is what I found.180 DPI,3456 x 2592,2.46MB

Charles McKinley
02-10-2011, 1:29 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm trying to upload a 71.9 kb 640x480 pic an I do not get an error message but it just doesn't load? How long should it take on a DSL line to upload this? It was about 1 amThursday morning 2/10.

Thanks

Steve Schlumpf
02-10-2011, 7:29 AM
Charles - I wouldn't think that it would take very long at all - especially at 1 a.m.! Only suggestion would be to try again later because you just never know where the routing is taking your signal and with all the major storms going on at that time - wouldn't be surprised is there were delays.

Stew Hagerty
02-10-2011, 12:46 PM
I just tried uploading two photos into a post and all that showed up were links. I've loaded photos before but the way to do it seems to have changed. I'm going to try again here and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I would really like some help.

Stew Hagerty
02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Hmmm, ok now it worked.

Kevin Fitzsimons
03-23-2011, 9:26 PM
What is the optimum size photo to post? I want to show pretty good detail.
Kevin

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2011, 9:56 PM
Kevin...I resize my images to 650 pixels wide and keep the proportions. If you go above 800 pixels wide, the viewer can't see the whole image at one time.

Greg Hines, MD
05-02-2011, 3:23 PM
I hope this is the right place for this question, but is there a way to put all the photos you have uploaded into one of the albums? I created an album, but have nothing in it now, and cannot figure out how to do that.

william watts
05-19-2014, 2:25 PM
These are test pics on my new computer289665. 289664I am learning how.