PDA

View Full Version : How much curve is too much curve?

Herv Peairs
01-21-2017, 3:20 PM
I bought a Disston No.16 from a reputable online dealer. The blade was advertised as straight, but as received from USPS the blade has a bit of a curve to it. I believe this is not within desirable limits but I am not an expert. The attached pictures show that the blade is off by about 1/4" from stem to stern. Is this a "straight" saw? If not, I may try George Wilson's boiling water (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103313-How-to-straighten-bent-saw-blades/page2&p=1038313) (or oven) method on it.

Thanks,
Herv

Mike Brady
01-21-2017, 5:27 PM
I don't find that amount of offset to be terrible. The plate doesn't appear to have any sharp deviations or kinks in it; it just has a gradual drift that may be correctable. It could have been from poor storage or a tweak while in shipping. You should notify the seller and see what he says. I would try to flex the plate to the other side of the centerline and see if it centers itself. Ultimately it depends on what you decide with the seller and how much you have invested in the saw. It looks like it would clean up nicely too. If you paid for a in excellent condition, than this one falls short of that quality in its current state.

Nicholas Lawrence
01-21-2017, 6:15 PM
I don't know if you are collecting or using. If you are using, I would try it and see how it works. My rip saw cuts straight and has probably got as much bend in it as what I see in the photo.

Mike Brady
01-21-2017, 6:27 PM
I don't find that amount of offset to be terrible. The plate doesn't appear to have any sharp deviations or kinks in it; it just has a gradual drift that may be correctable. It could have been from poor storage or a tweak while in shipping. You should notify the seller and see what he says. I would try to flex the plate to the other side of the centerline and see if it centers itself. Ultimately it depends on what you decide with the seller and how much you have invested in the saw. It looks like it would clean up nicely too. If you paid for a in excellent condition, than this one falls short of that quality in its current state.

Update:
I just checked a half dozen 24-26" saws that are in my user collection. Four of the six had about the same runout (to the left, when viewed from above the handle) as seen in your saw. A couple were dead straight. All are very good Disston or Atkins saws, in very good to NOS condition. All cut very satisfactorily.

george wilson
01-21-2017, 7:57 PM
I'd definitely recommend boiling water. If you put it in the oven,the first thing to OVERHEAT will be the tips of the teeth. Kitchen ovens do not heat reliably,or often to the correct temp. They can be 75 º off. You don't want the tips of your saw going past lue,and into fray. They will be fully softened if they go to gray. Then,you'll be in big trouble. If I still had the saw toother and that happened,I'd cut all the teeth off and re tooth,set and file the blade.

I do now have a Foley,but haven't mounted it due to space limitations.