PDA

View Full Version : lathe tools recommendation

Chip Clark
01-20-2017, 4:13 PM
I've recently purchased my first lathe so I need to get some turning chisels. I'll be turning mostly legs and bowls. Maple, black limba, walnut, etc.
I would like to get some tools that will last awhile, but not necessarily spend hundreds of dollars. Any recommendations? Not even quite
sure what type (cutting head shape) I should start with.

thanks!
chip

Clay Fails
01-20-2017, 5:13 PM
Chip, you will get much good advice from others here who have more turning experience than I. My one piece of advice would be to buy the highest quality tooling you can, even if it means limited number of tools. Start with the basics, and add later as time and budget allow. Over time and with experience you will better know what specific tools you need.

My two favorite tool makers are D-Way and Thompson. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those.

best wishes,

Reed Gray
01-20-2017, 6:18 PM
A big second for D Way and Thompson. Highest quality and you buy direct from the guys that make them. Hmm, some day I will have to make up a list of 'starter' kits, that I would suggest...

2 bowl gouges one more pointy for sides 40 to 45 degrees, and one more blunt 60 to 70 degree bevel for bottoms, spindle roughing gouge, detain gouge, at least one scraper, skew, parting tool, others I am sure...

robo hippy

Chip Clark
01-20-2017, 6:49 PM
Clay and Reed - thanks for your response! I checked out both companies and looks like great tools reasonably priced. Thanks again, this gives me a great start to go on.

Dean S Walker
01-20-2017, 8:39 PM
Packard store line. they are made by Hamlet

John Keeton
01-20-2017, 9:55 PM
Other than a few cheap scrapers and odd and ends, I don't own anything but D-Way and Thompson.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-21-2017, 12:44 AM
NOT saying that D-way and Thompson are not the best, but consider the (gasp) Harbor Freight tool set that you can get for way less than 100 bucks. You can learn to grind on them, they are NOT the best tools but to LEARN, I think you can't beat that. Yes, I do own a several D-way and Dougs tools. Yes, if you're willing to spend that money now, you cannot go wrong. No doubt about that. I still have and use the HF tools.

Marvin Hasenak
01-21-2017, 12:48 AM
It would help if you tell us what lathe you have. Suggesting tools for a lathe with no idea of size is really just a guess on our part.

William C Rogers
01-21-2017, 9:11 AM
NOT saying that D-way and Thompson are not the best, but consider the (gasp) Harbor Freight tool set that you can get for way less than 100 bucks. You can learn to grind on them, they are NOT the best tools but to LEARN, I think you can't beat that. Yes, I do own a several D-way and Dougs tools. Yes, if you're willing to spend that money now, you cannot go wrong. No doubt about that. I still have and use the HF tools.

I agree. Starting out the need for equipment (sharpening, chucks, chisels, etc.) is expensive. If that is not an issue then buy Thompson or D-Way and never look back. I started out with the HF red handle set. They have been great to learn to sharpen with plus I could start turning. I have bought some of the cheap brands, but found the HF set to be better. I am now buying the Thompson tools. I have been turning a couple of years, and it took me that long to acquire the basic equipment before I could start buying Thompson tools. I have found the "need" for something never goes away.

John Keeton
01-21-2017, 9:42 AM
I did as many have and bought the HF set - the better one. They are a good start, but only for spindle turning as there is no bowl gouge included. If money is an issue, and it nearly always is, then this is a good recommendation. Then, buy a BB bowl gouge and you will be able to move forward until better tools are affordable.

Dean S Walker
01-21-2017, 10:12 AM
I started with the Benjamin best from penn state, I ground them up bad learning to sharpen and learning what grinds I like. Not the best tools but I didn't grind up expensive tools either. I like the hamlet tools for variety but I really only use about 8 tools the rest set or just get used here and there. The M2 is good quality from Hamlet and for the main 8 tools most are M4 which I like better than the cobalt and V10. No offense intended. The M2 tools I have do not get used constantly so the savings in money allows me to buy better drill bits, chucks etc. If you buy a cheaper set you will need to sharpen them often, this gives you good practice at sharpening and lets you find the grinds you like.

Dennis Collier
01-21-2017, 1:54 PM
I would also recommend the better set from HF. its the tools I started with and I actually still use a couple of them. I think the whole set was around 40 bucks with a coupon. Get those and a cheap bowl gouge and learn to use your tools and how to sharpen. You can upgrade to better tools later as you find the ones you use the most, etc. Also, Id recommend a set of carbide tools. Make them yourself or find someone that makes them. They will not replace your other tools but they do have a place. I have a large set and a small set. The large set gets almost no use at all but the small set gets used a bunch. They are awesome for pen turning if you decide to get into that.

Reed Gray
01-21-2017, 5:23 PM
My first 'set' of tools was the Artisan set from Craft Supplies. Most likely a better set than anything from Harbor Freight, and possibly a step up from Benjamin's Best. I never believed in getting the cheapest with just about any tool I use. Sets from catalog or box stores tend to have tools in them that you will most likely never use though.

robo hippy

Don Jarvie
01-21-2017, 6:08 PM
Don't discount Woodriver from Woodcraft. A 5 piece set for under 200. I have one of the bowl gouges that I turned into a bottom gouge. Pretty good tool for the money.

Bob Bouis
01-21-2017, 6:49 PM
The harbor freight set is okay because if you really get into turning you'll be able to find uses for the flat bars as specialty tools, even if you replace the tools themselves. I'm not sure why they give you two roughing gouges and no bowl gouge, but whatever.

I'd recommend Thompson for tools that get heavy use roughing, where edge holding is the primary concern, like a bowl gouge and maybe a scraper. For tools you don't use much and don't mind sharpening a lot there's no good reason to spend the extra money.

John Grace
01-21-2017, 8:00 PM
My two cents are as follows...1) Buy tools as you need them. Turning can become expensive quickly and we've all purchased tools that rarely saw the light of day. 2) How do you plan to sharpen your tools and do you have a good eye for it already? If so, then I'd recommend the better quality Thompson or D-Way. If you're just starting to learn how to sharpen or have poor 'touch' with respects to sharpening then I advocate getting cheaper tooling. Saying this with a tremendously large grain of salt...sharp is sharp, a tool either is or it isn't and the better the tool the longer it will stay sharp. If you're just learning to sharpen and/or not particularly good at it, then I'm in the camp of learning on the cheaper tooling and just accept that you'll be making more trips to the grinder. For myself, I started out that way and probably ground away a good 1/2" inch off my first bowl gouge before developing the touch. Losing 1/2" off of a great tool can go a long ways towards the purchase of the cheap version. I now have a variety of Thompson's and my old cheaper tooling and am migrating all towards the better tools now that my sharpening warrants them. Good luck with your decision and enjoy...

Alan Trout
01-21-2017, 8:21 PM
Best advice I ever got was from Doug Thompson. He was just starting out making tools and I was just starting out turning. He told me to by a 1/2" bowl gouge and learn to use it. That's what I did. Great advice and you can add tools as you need them. Plus Doug gives back to the turning community very generously. He is a super great human being.

Alan