PDA

View Full Version : auto-focus sensor replacement - hurricane laser

jud dinsmore
01-20-2017, 9:14 AM
per picture.

this is a 2013 hurricane charley (60w) laser. i purchased it used and am just getting around to setting it up. the auto-focus sensor (on the left with the two screws) seems to be bad. it seems to be burnt up pretty good and caked in soot. anyways, my it doesn't appear to be working and i cannot find a direct replacement. does anyone know where i can find a replacement?

Matt McCoy
01-20-2017, 11:47 AM
per picture.

this is a 2013 hurricane charley (60w) laser. i purchased it used and am just getting around to setting it up. the auto-focus sensor (on the left with the two screws) seems to be bad. it seems to be burnt up pretty good and caked in soot. anyways, my it doesn't appear to be working and i cannot find a direct replacement. does anyone know where i can find a replacement?

I'm not familiar with that type of sensor, but there are AF modules available on eBay. If it's serviceable, you could try taking it apart and cleaning the contacts first.

jud dinsmore
01-20-2017, 1:36 PM
matt,

thanks for your reply. it looks like it has been caught on fire once or twice. i'm not sure what it is supposed to look like new, but it is definitively chard. the wires connecting it have a plug adapter at the top of the laser tube so it should be an easy swap if i can find the part.

Mark Sipes
01-20-2017, 1:46 PM
I'm with Matt. Take the sensor off and see what the bottom side looks like. It might just be coated with soot and crude, so much the item can't see what it is looking for.

jud dinsmore
01-20-2017, 2:30 PM
i already took it apart and cleaned it as best as i could. its a dead dog.

Matt McCoy
01-20-2017, 2:50 PM
i already took it apart and cleaned it as best as i could. its a dead dog.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it might be a proximity switch that was used instead of the conventional plunger.

jud dinsmore
01-20-2017, 4:14 PM

here's a picture from the business end.

Dave Sheldrake
01-20-2017, 10:56 PM
Contact Weike, Hurricane machines were made by Weike

Bert Kemp
01-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Why not just manual focus? The heck with auto focus

Tony Lenkic
01-22-2017, 10:27 AM
+1, what Bert said.........Manually focus and save your money.

jud dinsmore
01-23-2017, 9:59 AM
thanks guys. i heard back from the original owner of hurricane lasers and the part is $175. more than i was expecting so i'll manual focus for now.

slightly related - for manual focus, are you using set up blocks for the quickest results? i'm just getting started with lasercut and think there is a way to set the z-axis in there. i'm planning on working in five or six heights, using one or two 90% of the time.

Bert Kemp
01-23-2017, 10:31 AM
Your focus height will always be the same as long as your using the same lens. Doesn't matter what the z height is. The focus will be the same. cut a focus block the proper height.
and use that to focus. Its just a fast as auto focus and just as accurate. Run a slope test to find the height to cut your block. Do a search here to find out how to do a slope test.I'd explain but other people explain it better then me LOL

John Bion
01-23-2017, 10:52 AM
I’m with Bert too, throw it away. No need for the junk, they will go wrong just when you are not expecting it and you will wreck your gantry or something. You don’t need it, just manually focus, it is so quick.

Matt McCoy
01-23-2017, 11:00 AM
thanks guys. i heard back from the original owner of hurricane lasers and the part is $175. more than i was expecting so i'll manual focus for now.

slightly related - for manual focus, are you using set up blocks for the quickest results? i'm just getting started with lasercut and think there is a way to set the z-axis in there. i'm planning on working in five or six heights, using one or two 90% of the time.

The plunger device is about 40 bucks on eBay. Maybe your contact or Weiki can tell you what the OEM part is, if you need that.

jud dinsmore
01-23-2017, 11:24 AM
got it. thanks for your help.

i'm planning on engraving a single logo and text. understanding that setting up the z-axis on my machine is holding buttons up/down without any numbers for feedback, if i set it up a piece, but am approximately 1/16" off, will this really affect my engraving?

Bert Kemp
01-23-2017, 11:40 AM
a 1/16 off what the correct focus. ? That should not make a big difference will make the engraving a tad darker.

Bert Kemp
01-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Jud if you know what the lens is your using 1.5" 2" ect then you can do a ramp test to find the exact height for perfect focus. cut a piece of 1/8ply or acrylic that dimension and place that at the lens height bring your table up or down till its even with the top of the block. Maybe someone else can explain this better.

Bert Kemp
01-23-2017, 11:50 AM
352424Focus Tool just bring laser lens to the height of the tool and your in focus, do a ramp test to find the height.