PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 8" Jointer Advice, Pick Your Favorite

Eric Porter
10-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Here is the situation. I just received a $1,000 bonus from work, and the better news is that SWMBO even agreed to let me spend it all on tools. HOORAY!

So, the quandry is exactly what to spend it on. I have narrowed it down to an 8" jointer or a large bandsaw. I currently have a Jet 6" jointer that works well, but it limits the size and length of stock I can accurately joint. I do not have any bandsaw.

Option 1: A local woodworker has a pristine Delta DJ-20 X5 series that is about a year old with light use. Since it is the X5 series is still has 4 years on the transferable warranty. Long warranties don't noramally sway my purchase decisions, but it is a nice to have. Along with the jointer he is including a brand new complete cutterhead assembly w/knives (retail $450), and Delta mobile base (retail $90). He will sell me everything for $1,000.

Option 2: Redmond Machinery has remanufactured DJ-20 jointers for $1,050. Salesman at Redmond said that they are essentially new units. Most of these units are returns due to box damage, missing parts, or delivery damaged parts that have been replaced. I will have to drive to Atalanta to pick up this unit which means I will have to pay Georgia sales tax ~ 6%. That puts the cost at $1,113, but I would still need to buy a mobile base and possibly an extra set of knives about $175. That would push the total cost to $1,288.

Option 3: I just received the Grizzly Holiday Savings catalog. I can get the Grizzly GO500 8" Jointer w/ 4 blade cutterhead, 2HP motor, and 75" table for $773 including shipping. I have other Grizzly tools, but I couldn't find many reviews for this specific jointer. The main concern I have is that this unit has two 5" cast iron extensions mounted to the ends of the infeed and outfeed tables. I like the idea of a 75" bed but I worry that the extensions will move, or otherwise be a hassle sometime in the future.

Option 4: Another Grizzly 8" jointer for sale. The 1018HW is an 8" jointer very similiar to the above model except that it has a 3 knife cutterhead, 1 1/2 HP motor, but only a 65" table. This jointer w/ shipping is only $673.

Options 1 and 2 would use up my entire bonus and them some with option 2, but it would be the last jointer I would ever need. Options 3 and 4 would give me an 8" jointer, but not a DJ-20, however I would have extra money (HMMM, I also saw some Grizzly bandsaws for sale).

Thanks for everyone's input.

Eric

Steve Schoene
10-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I'd go with a DJ 20. Its a good design, easy to adjust, and a known quantity. I had one, and it was easy to sell when I moved up to my current 16" jointer/planer. So don't be so sure its your last planer.

John Miliunas
10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Eric, a little over a year ago, I hedged back and forth, trying to make the same decision. I finally got a real good deal on a non-X5. IMHO, the DJ20 is still the one others are compared to. The 4-knife thing on a jointer isn't really a driving force, again in my opinion. Face it, if you want to increase the number of cuts per inch on a jointer, just feed the stock slower. It's not like a planer, which feeds at a given rate. Also, I find it a big enough pain in the tuckus properly setting depth on 3 blades, much less four! :rolleyes: That's one heckuva' deal on that used one and I'd jump all over it before it disappears!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
10-11-2005, 11:03 PM
The DJ-20 in "any flavor" is always a winner. But if you want a review of the G0500 (which I though Grizzly updated, err...changed the colors...and gave a new model number, but I could be wrong since I don't follow them), (a mouthfull...) there is a review on my website by Terry Neilson out on the left coast.

Corvin Alstot
10-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Option 1: A local woodworker has a pristine Delta DJ-20 X5 series that is about a year old with light use. Since it is the X5 series is still has 4 years on the transferable warranty. Long warranties don't noramally sway my purchase decisions, but it is a nice to have. Along with the jointer he is including a brand new complete cutterhead assembly w/knives (retail $450), and Delta mobile base (retail $90). He will sell me everything for $1,000.I like option 1, its sounds almost new, plus you do not have to buy the mobile base or knives. I have the DJ-20 X5 and like it alot. Sorry, but I am not familar with the Grizzly line and can't add any information to those choices.Another thought would be to buy a bandsaw and upgrade the jointer later. Of course there are a lot of DJ-20 out there, but its tough to find a good one for that price.

Eric Porter
10-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the input guys. That's 4 votes for the slightly used DJ-20 and no votes for the Grizzly you're making it easier and easier for me.

John,
I agree that the DJ-20 is still the benchmark. However, like you I have recently been going back and forth. In fact, I already put a deposit down on the slightly used DJ-20 that I listed in option 1 and tonight I was beginning to doubt that this was the best decision. I just didn't want to mention the deposit because I didn't want to bias anyones opinion. You also make a great point about setting the knives. I am glad that I am not the only who finds that process extremely tedious and time consuming.

Bart Leetch
10-12-2005, 1:17 AM
Actually I don't agree at all He He He... Yes a DJ-20 would be nice, are you a pro shop? As I know Spring & Sprong are.:D Or is this a hobby shop,:eek: & why does everyone have to go into over kill when asked such a question. If the Jointer cuts smooth & square isn't that what we are really looking for & for my money I would really rather have two good tools that allow me to do more not just tie all my money up in 1 tool.

Ok ok yes drool drool I'd love to have a DJ-20 Jointer.. but if I had a choice I would purchase a reasonable Jointer like the Grizzly & most likely a good Grizzly band-saw.:D :D :D :eek: Oh I forgot if I ever get to Spring or Sprong's shop I'm going to drool all over their nice Delta, Jet & MM tools of course I'll have a rag handy to wipe them off but I am going ot drool never the less.

I know I know spoil sport & yes my frugal feet are firmly anchored to the ground & I am pulling back hard against the rope I just threw out.

Mark Singer
10-12-2005, 1:46 AM
Dj 20! It is a great Jointer!

Dev Emch
10-12-2005, 1:56 AM
Eric...

If I were you, I would be tripping over the shoe laces to yell sold on the phone for option one. So whatcha waitin' for.... RUN!

Now for the rational.

First of all, its a DJ-20 design. These are pretty close to working like a mini martin T-54 (parallogram system). This jointer has about 1 year of service and so, certainly, you should inspect it. That is common sense. But the odds are, *THIS* one has survived any infant mortality and with regular care and feeding, should last you many carefree years. It also has this X5 jazz which does not sway me but, hey, if your going to throw it in for free, I will take it.

The second choice includes rework. Always a risk unless your inspecting every detail. It also costs a nice chunk more to pay the tax man, etc. Lastly, this group includes any machines that got rework from infant mortality. Here, I am mainly concerned about regrinding warped tables. Most machine shops of today do not know what they are doing. If you think they do, by all means, penny up and exchange your coin. A warped table this early on can only be bad news and its due mostly to defects in the castings. Regind them flat and they may just warp again. And again. Eventually, you get a table that stays flat or one that has a hole ground through the top. Dont laugh. A guy on ebay was selling just such a jointer and his comment was... "Has a large hole ground in table but should not interfere with its operation". You may also get shipping damage that has bent strategic parts which prevent the jointer from maintaining its full range of alignment. You need a guy like me with tools to perform the pre-purchase inspection on this one. As I am not there and have no plans on showing up, advice is to avoid it.

The last choice is to pursue an 8 inch wedge bed jointer. I am really not happy with how these jointers were designed. The big ones are great but they have lots of extra design features that fix the short commings of this class of jointer. Given a chance to get a parallogram jointer versus a small wedge bed jointer with integral table and wedges, I would definitly pursue the parallogram which is the DJ-20.

Best of luck...

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 7:32 AM
Yeah, what Dev said! And Dev KNOWS is machines!:D :) :cool:

Frank Pellow
10-12-2005, 8:05 AM
Here is another vote for option 1. By the way, I have the same jointer.

Rick de Roque
10-12-2005, 8:44 AM
I have the Griz G0500 and have been very pleased with the jointer. I have had it for over a year and have run alot of lumber over it with good results. With the money you will save you can use the rest of the money for a present for the wife for being so nice to let you use the money for the jointer. Just my $.02. rick

lou sansone
10-12-2005, 8:47 AM
option 1
best wishes
lou

Michael Gabbay
10-12-2005, 9:02 AM
Option 1 without a doubt. Make sure you check the beds to see that they are flat and run a few boards. With 4 more years on the warranty it is not a big issue but it is good to know what you are getting into.Mike

Mike Cutler
10-12-2005, 9:10 AM
Option 1 Bro', NOW!!

Rob Blaustein
10-12-2005, 9:17 AM
Since you have had so many votes for option #1, I will play devil's advocate and lean towards the bandsaw. But it really hinges on just how limited you feel by 1. your current 6" jointer, 2. the lack of a bandsaw, and 3. your budget (i.e. if you go option #1 would you still spring for a bandsaw later, but maybe not a $1,000 one?). Or do you think you'll want to do some serious resawing at some point in which case you might want a larger bandsaw? BUT, if you are leaning towards increasing jointer capacity over bandsaw use, option #1 does really sound like a great deal.

Dan Racette
10-12-2005, 9:21 AM
Make sure Delta is okay with that paperwork transfer. That could potentially save you some real $$ later!!!

CPeter James
10-12-2005, 9:40 AM
Get the DJ20. No question about it. $2000 worth of machine for 1/2 the money. Do check the motor mount. I have seen three of them installed backwards. They are almost but not quite symmetrical.

BTW. I bought a used DJ20 two years ago and love that looonnngggg table.

CPeter

JayStPeter
10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
I vote option 3 or 4. I have a 1018 and am happy with it. Given your choices, I would choose based on space considerations. Get the long table version if you have plenty of space, otherwise the short. The DJ20 is a nice machine and I've used one at a shop I used to rent time at. While the longer tables were nice, I don't have any problems with my current jointer vs. the DJ20. I would rather have a wider cutterhead jointer than longer tables.

Jay

Andy Hoyt
10-12-2005, 10:12 AM
Option #1 -- Before I do

Roger Myers
10-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Option 1
That is a terrific price for what you are getting, and having upgraded to the DJ20 myself a couple of years ago, you will be very pleased. I've gone the "this should do me for now" route on tools in the past, oly to come to regret it later... now I would rather wait and try to make each tool purchase the one that will last me for many, many years...and when I good deal comes along, like you seem to have found... jump on it! Like Dev said...sooner the better.... those DJ20's really hold resale value and that is a steal....
Roger

Mike Deschler
10-12-2005, 10:19 AM
You could always drive out to Indiana and pick up one of these unknown gems for $299.

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?dpt=&cat=&sku=03166

Should be quite interesting. Is this a lower level H.F. item or are my old eyes seeing something else?

Bill Crofutt
10-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Hi Eric,
It appears we have a mistake in our Christmas catalog. The G0500 does not have bed extensions, but are one piece casting. When we first introduced that model it did have extensions but we immediately made new dies for the tables and since then they have been one piece.

Lee DeRaud
10-12-2005, 11:36 AM
You could always drive out to Indiana and pick up one of these unknown gems for $299.Key words being "drive out to Indiana":
$299 for the jointer, $457 shipping to California...such a deal!:eek:

Scott Brihn
10-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Eric,

If it were me I would choose "Option 1". I haven't purchased any used equipment yet but based on what you describe this seems like a terrific value for a proven machine.

Scott Coffelt
10-12-2005, 12:30 PM
I like green products, but it would be hard to pass up a DJ20 for $1000. But if you are considering green, think this way, you could have both possibly. The G0586 is on sale price right now. You could sell your 6", then add that money with what you have now to spend and get the G0513. That would be a 8" jointer and a 17" bandsaw.

Green also has a new 8" with spiral head I think G0583 coming out and is under $1000.

John Hemenway
10-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Not to hijack this thread BUT...
Does anyone have a good grasp of the differences between the Griz G0586 and G0500? The G0500 is usually about $200 more than the G0586 but is now on 'Holiday Special' for only 'a few dollars more' :) .

JayStPeter
10-12-2005, 1:14 PM
Not to hijack this thread BUT...
Does anyone have a good grasp of the differences between the Griz G0586 and G0500? The G0500 is usually about $200 more than the G0586 but is now on 'Holiday Special' for only 'a few dollars more' :) .

The G0500 is made in Taiwan. It is based on the G1018, but with some additions (bigger motor, extra knife, bed extensions). The G0586 is made in China. According to the president of Grizzly the main part of the jointer is the same and made by a Chineese factory of the same company (?Geetech I assume?). It has a different fence design and high mounted switch compared to the G0500. I think they are moving some of their planer mfring from Taiwan to China also.

Jay

Greg Ladd
10-12-2005, 1:31 PM
Option 1 sounds like a no-brainer to me. I certainly have no complaints about my 8 year old DJ 20 other than I wish it was 20" wide.

Greg

Chuck Blanchette
10-12-2005, 2:13 PM
I agree with Scott. Unless your a professional, Get the G0586 and sell your 6" jointer. Use that plus remaining $$ to get a decent bandsaw!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G0586

I eyeballed the G0586 at the vegas show and was definitely impressed with the fit and finish. Chinese factories aint what they used to be. For $625 you can't go wrong!

Chuck

Hank Knight
10-12-2005, 4:31 PM
Eric, whichever option you pick, it would probably be a good idea to squirrel away enough cash to buy something nice for your wife.

Mike Monroe
10-12-2005, 4:45 PM
Or at least take her out to dinner...

Dev Emch
10-12-2005, 4:45 PM
I agree with Scott... I love green too! Given a choice between gray and green, I would always pick the green. Ummm, well almost. Porter 300s were gray and they are the best US made jointers of all time.

Lets see, what do we have in green....

The used oliver 166 and used oliver 12 patternmakers were/are teal green.:D

The used cast iron martin, pre T-54s were/are also green.:D

The used (and new) northfield HD jointers are nova green.:D

Some of the Panhans and Felder machines are green or green and white.:D

Yates used to use an ugly olive teal green on some of their early ball bearing machines. One was a wedge bed similar to the northfield HD.:D

So as you can see, there is lots of green to pick from.

John Miliunas
10-12-2005, 5:03 PM
Yeah, and if your pockets aren't quite that deep for the ones Dev points out or you can't locate a decent used one, don't forget that the Bridgewood line (from Wilke) is also a similar shade of green!:D :cool:

Jason Tuinstra
10-12-2005, 6:59 PM
Eric, the newest edition of FWW has an 8" review. They also have a video review online right now. Check it out. http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt118.asp

Dennis McDonaugh
10-12-2005, 7:18 PM
Get the DJ-20, its a better machine.

Dennis McDonaugh
10-12-2005, 7:19 PM
Go with the Grizzly, its a good machine that will do what you want.:D

Dave Malen
10-12-2005, 8:53 PM
It's a great jointer, Owned one for 8 years - never had a problem. You will love the long infeed table.

Dev,
there's Hitachi green:D :D

Dave

Jeff Sudmeier
10-12-2005, 9:11 PM
I have a dj20 and have zero complaints! I love it! I can't comment on the others...

Christopher Stahl
10-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I'll go with the green to. The G0500 is a fantastic machine, and you could put the extra money toward the bandsaw. Question is, do you think the DJ20 is going give a $500 better job than the G0500? I've owned both of them and I was able to joint wood equally as well on both, so I sold the DJ20 and bought more equipment with the extra money.

chris

Eric Porter
10-12-2005, 10:34 PM
I wanted to thank everyone again for their input. I think we can all agree that the DJ-20 is a better machine that any wedge type jointer, and like most everyone here I want the best machine I can afford. That brings me to the question how much of a machine do I really need? The truth is that I am only a hobbyist woodworker, but I do have some significant projects planned for the future, and it is clear that I need more jointer capacity.

Option 1 is the clear winner. Which is good since I have already put a deposit down on the like new DJ-20 and I am planning to pick it up in two weeks. I was just having cold feet over the decision. It took me almost 5 months to finally decide on a cabinet saw (went with the pre-X5 3HP Uni).

Since everyone was kind enough to offer their input, I promise to post pics of MY DJ-20 in a couple weeks.

Eric

Dev Emch
10-13-2005, 1:15 AM
Eric...
Time to be a party pooper.:rolleyes: I just got reports from a the auction front in New Jersey. My head is still swimming! The auction was a disaster!

A nice, well kept 16 inch early, 1950s vintage Porter 300 jointer went for a mere $100 bucks. Yup, a single C note. I have never seen this happen before! It will cost about $75 dollars to rig out and load due to the rigger insurance requirement. And then there is the 10 percent buyers premium. But still, I am bambuzzled by this one. This one caught me with my under garments in the unstandard position.:cool:

David Less
10-13-2005, 6:36 AM
I would like to chime in here with a question. Since everyone is talking about the DJ 20, why hasn't anyone mentioned the new PM 8" parallelgram? The response I've been hearing from people is that it is as nice if not nicer than the DJ. I glanced at a WW mag in the grocery store yesterday and they rated it #1 over all, did not compare with the new Griz though.David

Dennis McDonaugh
10-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Eric, there are compelling reasons to consider both, but as a consumer its your job to juggle all the variables and come up with the best selection for you. As you can tell from my earlier posts, both sides of my brain tell me the Grizzly and DJ-20 are the best machines. I have the Grizzly and in truth it is all I need in a jointer except wider. The advantage of the DJ-20 is the adjustment mechanism, but my jointer tables were coplannar right from the factory and I only adjust it when I sharpen the blades. It only takes a small fraction of a turn on the handwheel to adjust the tables so I can't see how the dovetailed ways will ever wear out in three lifetimes of use. Of course, I could have gotten a lemon and had to shim the ways right out of the box.

Here's one other thing to think about. Look around your shop. Are you seeing any "second" generation machines. By that I mean are there any tools in your shop that you upgraded because the original ones either didn't do the job or you just wanted a better tool. Upgrades from contractor saw to cabinet saw or 14 to 18-20" bandsaw are that kind of upgrades. If so, yo will probably not be happy with anything but the DJ-20 and will either end up replacing the Grizzly later or regretting not buying the DJ-20 every time you use the jointer.

Sometimes buying decisions don't come down to the brain, but the heart.

good luck

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Eric,

Sounds like you made a decision you can sleep with. The DJ20 is a fine jointer.

Dennis,

In general I agree with you, my exception. If I need two tools but can afford one good one or two good ones for the same price, they both work and function as required flawlessly over the years, then I would rather go with two. Assuming I need both. If I need one, both want two, I may be willing to hold off on one til a time I can afford both. Heck, I want a Euro saw, need no, can afford no... so my cabinet saw will have to do. Could I not buy anything and wait till I can afford the euro sure, but then I wouldn't be able to build anything. It's all relative. As far as being able to build high quality stuff with or without DJ20 vs a G0586 or similar, if both are tuned right, no difference.

I don't think we would be having this question if the deal wasn't as sweet for the DJ20. If the question was I have $1k to spend and need a jointer and bandsaw, but I have a 6" jointer... I think the discussion may have been different. Either way, he still will have a 6" to get rid of. He may still be able to buy a BS with the proceeds or wait for a bigger BS or buy his wife a gift, but then again my saying is... I can build you things with my tools, and that is a gift itself...and a simple thanks for letting me have something I want.

John Miliunas
10-13-2005, 1:05 PM
Hey Scott, then there's thing about the kind of luck Eric has. If he scored a hardly used, dressed out DJ20 for a song, just think what he's likely to do on that BS when the time comes!:eek: :D :cool:

Eric Porter
10-13-2005, 1:44 PM
I made the final decision, I will soon be a DJ-20 owner! Yippie! :) :) :)

As I stated before, I already put a deposit down on the DJ-20, but I have been weighing everyone's input. Based on that input, I narrowed the choices down to my original option 1 (slightly used DJ-20) or option 3 (Grizzly G0500). However, when I added the cost of a mobile base and extra set of knives plus shipping to the cost of the Grizzly the total jumped to $911. Which means for less than $100 more than the Grizzly, I can have the DJ-20, and that made the choice easy.

I will say that if I did not "luck" upon this deal as John says that I would have decided on the Grizzly. I especially appreciate Bill Crofutt chiming in to let me know about the catalog error, and the fact that this jointer now has two one piece beds. I think this is a great deal on a great machine.

Now, if I can only find a used MM16 for lets say around $400 then I will be set.

I also appreciate everyone reminding me not to forget getting my wife something. It is nice to know that there are other guys out there who treasure their wives just as I do. She is truly a blessing to me.

Thanks again,
Eric

Dennis McDonaugh
10-13-2005, 2:40 PM
Eric,

Sounds like you made a decision you can sleep with. The DJ20 is a fine jointer.

Dennis,

In general I agree with you, my exception. If I need two tools but can afford one good one or two good ones for the same price, they both work and function as required flawlessly over the years, then I would rather go with two. Assuming I need both. If I need one, both want two, I may be willing to hold off on one til a time I can afford both. Heck, I want a Euro saw, need no, can afford no... so my cabinet saw will have to do. Could I not buy anything and wait till I can afford the euro sure, but then I wouldn't be able to build anything. It's all relative. As far as being able to build high quality stuff with or without DJ20 vs a G0586 or similar, if both are tuned right, no difference.

I don't think we would be having this question if the deal wasn't as sweet for the DJ20. If the question was I have $1k to spend and need a jointer and bandsaw, but I have a 6" jointer... I think the discussion may have been different. Either way, he still will have a 6" to get rid of. He may still be able to buy a BS with the proceeds or wait for a bigger BS or buy his wife a gift, but then again my saying is... I can build you things with my tools, and that is a gift itself...and a simple thanks for letting me have something I want.

The difference between you and me Scott is I have no willpower!;)

Dev Emch
10-13-2005, 4:47 PM
Eric...
Great choice on picking the DJ-20.

Now, that same auction which has put a sand burr under my saddle. How about a 36 inch bandsaw for #350 dollars? Please Stop.... Its Killing Me!

Scott Coffelt
10-13-2005, 4:58 PM
Who's got will power.... I just have no money. I get it, and if the wife doesn't catch me with it, then I spend it..... ain't that how it is suppose to be?

Heck, I just dropped all the money I made on a commish job for some Festool stuff before I got the check, that way she couldn't have it.

Now, if I could only find one of them DJ20 deals for $1000, I'd have some more Blue/Grey in the shop. Heck, I am no tool snob, I am a rainbow man. I got me some green, white, blue/grey, black, orange, yellow in my shop. I was hoping he'd forget where he left a deposit, made the mistake of telling me where he left his deposit and I could go pick it up.

Dang it didn't work. Dang nabbit!

Dennis McDonaugh
10-13-2005, 9:54 PM
Scott, it scares me every time my wife comes into the shop. She starts eyeing everything trying to find out what is there that didn't used to be there!

Bart Leetch
10-14-2005, 1:02 AM
Scott, it scares me every time my wife comes into the shop. She starts eyeing everything trying to find out what is there that didn't used to be there!

I start out preparing the LOML a while in advance by talking about what ever tool I'm dreaming of buying so by the time I'm in position financially to buy it she know that the purchase isn't far off. Then as I am planning ahead to the day I'll be going to which ever tool store I tell her that I maybe purchasing the tool, I do the same for things purchased by mail or brown that way she can enjoy the excitement with me when it arrives. Beside that sometimes she looks at the tool I am considering & asks a few questions & then says don't you think you should get the better tool, like she did when I was going to get the 1 1/2 HP DC & she said I think you should get the 2 HP DC & a Long Ranger remote. Right now I am considering a 23 gage pinner. I started talking about it 2 weeks ago & will probably buy it sometime with in the next 3 months right about when I'll be needing it.:D I am sure glad everyones wife is different. I figured out a long time ago that it was easier to be open & straight forward about what I wanted to purchase that way my wife doesn't have to be swmbo & can be the LOML.:D