PDA

View Full Version : Machine rubbing - do you prefer ROS or High Speed Buffer?

Mike Dowell
01-19-2017, 6:49 PM
Sort of taking a poll here. When it comes to polishing/rubbing a table top using machines and compounds, do you all prefer the ROS with abralon pad route, or the high speed buffer with wool pad and compound route? I've been using my Ceros ROS and Abralon pads with soap and water. It definitely gets the job done, but I wonder if my efficiency might increase through the use of a high speed buffer.

Bill McNiel
01-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Mike,
I use MicroMesh pads with my Festool ETS 125 and no lubricant.
FWIW-Bill

Len Rosenberg
01-29-2017, 6:05 AM
Bill, what micro mesh pads are available to use with Festool sanders? Where can I find them?

Thanks,

Len

Wayne Lomman
01-29-2017, 7:05 AM
I actually use a low speed buffer and lambswool. High speed means too much heat. Cheers

John Blazy
01-31-2017, 1:13 PM
If gloss, then I use Trizact 1000 to 3000 grit with water on ROS, then foam pads for medium cut polishing compound and final glaze (swirl mark remover for wet gloss). Lambs wool always accumulates tiny balls of compound that "drag" across a pristine surface grinding micro grooves, then switched to foam, and never got the drags again.
If satin, then steel wool manually with the grain only.

You want low speed buffer for sure, and once you use foam pads with polishing compounds followed by final machine glaze, you will be hooked.

The Trizact discs are sculpted abrasives (micro-grooved) that irrigate water away to eliminate hydroplaning, and cut faster than any micromesh or abralon disc, while leaving a surface perfectly buff ready - minimal time compounding. The newer trizact discs have foam backing like the abralon, but the grooved abrasive is why its superior.

Bill McNiel
01-31-2017, 8:00 PM
Bill, what micro mesh pads are available to use with Festool sanders? Where can I find them?

Thanks,

Len
Len,
MicroMesh 5" diameter pads are available on line or at Woodcraft. The packs contain all 9 grits and have lightly cushioned backs. No holes for dust collection though. MM is also available in 3x5" double sided hand pads and thin sheets about 8x10".
If you need more info don't hesitate to contact me, I use MM a lot especially with Waterlox - regards Bill