PDA

View Full Version : Belt Sander Conundrum

Stew Hagerty
01-19-2017, 3:10 PM
I've been looking for a belt sander, but I'm perplexed. See, I have a really nice 12" Jet disc sander, but there are times when a belt sander would be really nice. However, I have found that very few manufacturers make a machine that is JUST a belt sander. Nearly all are combo machines. Most of the ones that are available are over $1000, although there are a couple that are around $800. That is significantly more than many of the combo machines. I'm curious as to why this is. I really don't need a combo machine, but I think I may end up with one. Any suggestions on machines? A company called Kalamazoo looks to have some of the least expensive models I have seen, but I don't know anything about them. Then there is Grizzly, they sell a 6" x 80" Edge sander for less than $700

John C Bush
01-19-2017, 4:02 PM
I had a combo disk/belt sander--never used the disk and the belt was most always too small. Got the Griz 6x80 edges sander and use it all the time. I plan to upgrade to a larger oscillating edge sander at some point. Larger platen needed frequently and oscillating may help preserve belts.

George Bokros
01-19-2017, 4:35 PM
I have a Rikon disk belt sander combo cost me around $400 10 yrs ago

Ben Rivel
01-19-2017, 4:38 PM
Id suggest foregoing the vertical belt sander and consider going with an oscillating edge sander.

Stew Hagerty
01-19-2017, 5:46 PM
I had a combo disk/belt sander--never used the disk and the belt was most always too small. Got the Griz 6x80 edges sander and use it all the time. I plan to upgrade to a larger oscillating edge sander at some point. Larger platen needed frequently and oscillating may help preserve belts.

Which model do you have? It looks like they have 3, although really 2 because one is just with & without the stand. One with adjustable cast iron tables and one with a wooden wrap-around table.

Steve Kohn
01-19-2017, 8:29 PM
I bought a Powermatic non-oscillating edge sander (89 inch belts) about 4 years ago. It is the same as the Jet machine, just a different color. I got it for $400 off craigslist. I've modified the table so that it is at a slant to the belt allowing for longer belt life. At some point I'll put a 3 phase motor and VFD to get variable speed. I have variable speed on my combo disc/belt sander and love it.

Van Huskey
01-19-2017, 9:08 PM
I find an edge sander is far more useful than a combo sander for woodwork. I also would try to avoid the non-oscillating ones unless the table tilts and you move your stock. Jet has the least expensive oscillating edge sander at ~1,000 and they go up from there.

Dave Zellers
01-19-2017, 9:18 PM
... but there are times when a belt sander would be really nice.
You bet your sweet bippy there are.

I wanted to buy the Griz (5 years ago) but it was on backorder. I needed one right away so I bought the Jet. Very happy even though the Griz has a crank for the table and the Jet doesn't. Not really a deal breaker for me.

The minute you start using it, your head fills with ideas for other uses. But be careful, it's extremely powerful. Use it like a grinder- don't hold an angled piece leading into the rotation, hold it the other way.

If you think it might be useful, you have no idea.:)

Ole Anderson
01-20-2017, 8:54 AM
My 30 YO 6x48 Craftsman belt sander started out as a combo, but the disc was cheezy so I removed it. Juiced it with a 1 hp TEFC motor when I was dealing with a lot of aluminum. 6x48 belts are easy to find, and the machine doesn't take up a lot of space. I made a platen at 90 degrees for edge sanding, not as good as a dedicated edge sander by a long shot. Handy start/stop switch right next to the blast gate makes it easy to use. Did you look at the G1014Z? http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com Looks to be a much better machine than my old Crapsman.

John C Bush
01-20-2017, 9:52 AM
Hi Stew,
I have the 1140, same as the 1531 mechanically but on a stand. The 0512 is also similar mechanically but the idler roller is smaller diameter and it has the wrap around table. Not sure if there is a full platen on the back side tho. I like the 1140--easy table adjustment for both angle and height but the platen is shorter than I frequently need. I find the end roller works well for inside curves but I also have the Griz oscillating spindle sander and use the edge sander for more aggressive, rapid stock removal on curves and finish on the spindle sander. If reasonable for you I recommend stepping up to the oscillating edge sander. IIRC the osc. is only 3/4" but that would help keep the belts from clogging as easily. They can last a long time if you use the big "eraser" frequently. I've seen the Griz sanders at their showroom and they are nice machines. Good luck.

Jim Andrew
01-20-2017, 8:47 PM
Is the Jet sale over? Their 6x89 is about the least expensive oscillating sander while on sale. I'd probably wait till the next sale if it is over.

Dave Cav
01-20-2017, 10:02 PM
I'm in the edge sander camp. I have a (non oscillating) 132" Acme with a 50" table that will be last woodworking machine I'll sell. After I got it and a decent spindle sander (one of the big CI Grizzlies), I sold my belt/disk sander. I don't find the lack of oscillation a problem because, as mentioned upthread, you can angle the table and move the stock back and forth on the table and get the same effect.

Stew Hagerty
01-21-2017, 1:15 AM
My 30 YO 6x48 Craftsman belt sander started out as a combo, but the disc was cheezy so I removed it. Juiced it with a 1 hp TEFC motor when I was dealing with a lot of aluminum. 6x48 belts are easy to find, and the machine doesn't take up a lot of space. I made a platen at 90 degrees for edge sanding, not as good as a dedicated edge sander by a long shot. Handy start/stop switch right next to the blast gate makes it easy to use. Did you look at the G1014Z? http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-6-x-48-Belt-9-Disc-Z-Series/G1014Z?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com Looks to be a much better machine than my old Crapsman.

That Grizzly combo unit looks to be the same as the Harbor Freight one doesn't it?

Stew Hagerty
01-21-2017, 1:39 AM
Is the Jet sale over? Their 6x89 is about the least expensive oscillating sander while on sale. I'd probably wait till the next sale if it is over.

They don't appear to be on sale. Do you remember what the sale price was?

Brian W Smith
01-21-2017, 5:13 AM
The verts can be real workhorses in certain applications.Ours are generally more for metal.But can use for wood for things that can't be done on edge sanders.The slack side is more convenient on verts.

Non oscillating is my choice on edge models.Lots of neat things can be done TO an edge model with fabrication skills.You can run a longer belt with small diameter "nose" rollers.Google images,some manufacturers don't even run rollers,instead use wooden fixed nose.We make our own rollers.The whole end or nose sanding on edge models is where most guys/shops drop the ball,in an under utilization.

Generally,the dust pickup...hood or hoody..is the week link in factory designs.They can be VASTLY improved on every edge model I've ever seen.Don't be afraid to experiment on hoody's.The verts are better here because of gravity and the table location.

Chris Fournier
01-21-2017, 7:19 AM
If you do all sorts of woodworking then a disc is very useful, I'd consider 12" to be too small. Look for used and you'll find your edge sander!

Mike Hollingsworth
01-21-2017, 1:28 PM
Edge Sander is the go to machine in my shop. Handiest sander you can buy. Sanding area (6x30) is large enough for most projects. Oscillation is not that necessary.

Chris Fournier
01-21-2017, 5:59 PM
I don't really find my edge sander to be used that much these days but that may have more to do with my work than anything else. It certainly has some uses but a bigger disc is my preference these days. This being said, I added a guide bearing/disc to the top of the small idler roller on my edge sander and re-machined the idler roller to take some of the camber off. It makes for a pretty sweet pattern sanding set up. So I do use my edge sander but not really for edges I guess.

Jim Andrew
01-21-2017, 8:35 PM
Looked at it online think the sale price was about 860. The Grizzly G0563 is 1695, the Jet sale must have been for Christmas.

Stew Hagerty
01-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Looked at it online think the sale price was about 860. The Grizzly G0563 is 1695, the Jet sale must have been for Christmas.

These are the two edge Sanders and the combo I'd be looking at:

$755 - 352365

$795 - 352366

$825 - 352367

Jim Andrew
01-22-2017, 10:30 PM
You can see the table adjustments on the bottom sander, you can set it on an angle so the board touches a wider area of the belt than if it is level, helps your belt, and keeps your board from getting quite so hot. That is the good thing about the oscillating sander.

Van Huskey
01-22-2017, 10:48 PM
These are the two edge Sanders and the combo I'd be looking at:

To compare prices to the Jet you have to add shipping and lift gate (assuming you need it), the G0512 will be $970 shipped and the G1140 will be $940 shipped. Neither of them oscillate and do not tilt unless you want to modify them. The Jet can be had currently for $995 shipped/lift gate. At this price point I think the Jet is a much better buy especially when you add in the 5 year vs 1 year warranty.

mreza Salav
01-22-2017, 11:17 PM
I had a great (heavy) Rockwell Combo (this picture) but rarely used it. Sold it.

Have an edge sander now (progress) and it's a totally different machine. Love it.

Scott Verson
11-06-2018, 7:22 AM
My 30 YO 6x48 Craftsman belt sander (https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/) started out as a combo, but the disc was cheezy so I removed it. Juiced it with a 1 hp TEFC motor when I was dealing with a lot of aluminum. 6x48 belts are easy to find, and the machine doesn't take up a lot of space. I made a platen at 90 degrees for edge sanding, not as good as a dedicated edge sander by a long shot. Handy start/stop switch right next to the blast gate makes it easy to use. Did you look at the G1014Z? https://mechanicguides.com/best-belt-grinders/ Looks to be a much better machine than my old Crapsman.

thanks for sharing! Nice thread for me!

Ellen Benkin
11-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Check out the Home Depot belt/spindle sander. Around $200. I don't use either one very often so it works for me.

Bill Orbine
11-06-2018, 3:23 PM
There's a belt sander on vintage machinery for $450. Road trip to Kentucky. Put on some Blue Grass music for the ride!