PDA

View Full Version : A few interesting handtools

Ole Anderson
01-19-2017, 12:09 PM
Helping my son tear out a hardwood floor. His buddy is planning on reusing the flooring in a off-the-grid cabin to cover up the 17 year old OSB floor. (it was built by a prepper thinking all would end at Y2K remember that?)

He donated two Crescent adjustable prybars to the cause. It is as if they were made specifically for tearing up old flooring. Worked awesomely. And he showed up with a very cool all steel 1 1/4" chisel. Can any of you ID that tool? Hint, it is stainless steel. And my favorite Bostitch hammer.

I am sure that if you weren't trying to salvage the floor, some bigger stand-up rippers would have been faster.

John Lanciani
01-19-2017, 12:30 PM
I'll jump in, I'd be willing to bet the first owner of that chisel was an orthopedic surgeon.

Steve Peterson
01-19-2017, 1:04 PM
I'll jump in, I'd be willing to bet the first owner of that chisel was an orthopedic surgeon.

That is my guess as well. I used to repair surgical instruments and many of the bone cutting tools look surprisingly similar to woodworking tools, except that they are all stainless steel. It probably cost the hospital around $500 or more when it was first purchased.

Steve

Jim Koepke
01-19-2017, 1:14 PM
+1 on it being a surgical tool.

I do have an all steel wood chisel made by Crescent.

Here is a catalog description:

Mine is a bit more beat up than the one in the picture.

jtk

Bradley Gray
01-19-2017, 7:33 PM
Is this the same Crescent Co. that made my 32" Band Saw?

Mike Dowell
01-19-2017, 7:45 PM
That is my guess as well. I used to repair surgical instruments and many of the bone cutting tools look surprisingly similar to woodworking tools, except that they are all stainless steel. It probably cost the hospital around $500 or more when it was first purchased.

Steveok, so completely grossed out now.

Ole Anderson
01-19-2017, 8:00 PM
Yep, it is a bone chisel. Kind of freaked me out thinking about actually using it on a live human bone. Buddy is a biomed engineer or something like that and repairs hospital equipment.

Ole Anderson
01-19-2017, 8:02 PM
Is this the same Crescent Co. that made my 32" Band Saw?

Same as the one that makes Crescent wrenches. Not sure about the BS link.

John K Jordan
01-19-2017, 8:16 PM

I was going to guess a bone chisel then I read all the responses! I have a box of surgical tools. A friend gave me some (includes chisels, torque wrenches, interesting things with handles) and I bought a bunch at the local metal recycler at steel scrap prices (forceps, tweezers, gold-plated hemostats, long tiny scalpels, small hammers, scissors with tiny blades probably for nerve or eye surgery, far more.) The scalpels were maybe 10-12" long with a tiny blade on one end and obviously unused - can't imagine what the original cost was.

I gave some to fellow tinkerers, a vet and to vet student friends for dissections. (We dissected a young peacock on Monday.) The hemostats and specialized tweezers are great in the shop, as is some new surgical wire and rod.

JKJ

Shawn Pixley
01-19-2017, 8:47 PM
I ordered a Bone Chisel like that to make into a kerf chisel for blind dovetails. Worked great. Might have cost 25 dollars.

Mike Dowell
01-20-2017, 8:35 AM
I ordered a Bone Chisel like that to make into a kerf chisel for blind dovetails. Worked great. Might have cost 25 dollars.Just the combination of the words "bone" and "chisel" make my stomach quiver.