PDA

View Full Version : Installing an overarm guard on a Table Saw

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2017, 11:31 AM
I purchased a King Model 1014 Excelsior Blade Cover which covers saws from 10" to 14" diameter blades. I need a 14" guard for my saw, although it only uses a maximum of a 12" blade, the extra length is required to cover the scoring saw.

The Excelsior guard is meant for a table saw with a rip capacity up to 52 inches, which makes it too large for my saw. So after buying a $450 dollar guard, the obvious thing to do is to take it apart and start sawing up the pieces.

I cut 220mm from the outer tube and 280mm from the inner tube and de-burred the edges with a file.

Next up, mounting the guard to the saw.............Rod.

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2017, 11:33 AM
After cutting the arm components to length and re-assembling them, it's time to attach the mounting bracket to your saw table. The instructions that come with the guard don't apply to sliding saw as the blade is much closer to the front of the cabinet than on a traditional saw.

I mounted the bracket to the saw with C clamps to check position, and then marked the saw for drilling. One item to note is the large black pin that the arm mounts to, should be below the table for a sliding saw so it doesn't interfere with cross cuts. This is not true of conventional saws as the bracket is mounted near the rear edge of the saw table.

The bracket also has on a conventional saw, two tension straps that tie the guard bracket to the saw body, this provides counter-torque to balance the arm moment. On my saw I had to cut the bracket, and only needed one.

That's it for the modification and installation of the guard on a small saw. It's almost identical to the installation I did years ago on my General 650. It will be nice to have a guard for non through cuts again.

This guard is very easy to use, and a single locking knob allows the entire arm and guard to swing away for blade changes which is useful on a contractor or cabinet saw. On my saw it will be useful when I want to use the shaper.

Next up, a couple of views of the blade cover, including the scoring saw. This is why I needed a guard for 14" blades, once you add the scoring saw, there's a long area to be guarded. I've ordered the riving knife for my saw from Hammer, it doesn't project above the blade so it can remain installed for non through cuts, improving my safety.....Regards, Rod.

Andy Giddings
01-19-2017, 12:11 PM
Looks like a great addition, Rod - very neatly done

Brian W Evans
01-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Rod,

I googled around looking for one of these but just could not find it. Can you point me to where you got it? Also, why did you choose this guard over others (e.g. Excalibur)?

Thanks.

-Brian

Rod Sheridan
01-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Rod,

I googled around looking for one of these but just could not find it. Can you point me to where you got it? Also, why did you choose this guard over others (e.g. Excalibur)?

Thanks.

-Brian

Hi Brian, it is the old Excalibur guard, I guess King now sell it in Canada.............Regards, Rod.

Van Huskey
01-19-2017, 4:50 PM
Since you are in the US just get it from Grizzly, they import the same guard and have for years. Of note it is on their website BUT not in the 2017 catalog so it MAY be on the way out so if you need one you might want to jump on it. It is about $350 shipped.

Jim Becker
01-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Hi Brian, it is the old Excalibur guard, I guess King now sell it in Canada.............Regards, Rod.
I was wondering about that name thing, too...I had an Excalibur guard for the Jet cabinet saw I used to own and that looks like an updated version of the same. Very nice guard.

Brian W Evans
01-20-2017, 6:42 AM
Van,

I just spent a while searching for it - neither Google nor Grizzly show anything by the name Excalibur on Grizzly's site. I searched for the model number (#50-EXBC14) in various ways and any outlet that lists it says it is no longer available. I may give Grizzly a call today.

The only comparable thing I see online is the Exaktor blade guard which looks somewhat similar to the Excelsior / Excalibur, but more expensive at $499.

Maybe I'll take the family to Canada this summer...

-Brian

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2017, 9:17 AM
Brian, the guard is marked Excelsior, perhaps you can find it under that name?

regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
01-20-2017, 9:20 AM
I was wondering about that name thing, too...I had an Excalibur guard for the Jet cabinet saw I used to own and that looks like an updated version of the same. Very nice guard.

Like this one Jim?

That's the original guard on my old general 650 cabinet saw............Rod.

J. Greg Jones
01-21-2017, 7:55 AM
The Excalibur guard was later updated so that the tube looks like the Excelsior pictured, however the Excalibur still has an older style steel/clear guard basket. That Excelsior looks to be an upgrade, with a clear guard basket that looks like one that Grizzly uses. I have a new-style Excalibur with a Shark Guard basket, but that Excelsior looks really nice also.

Van Huskey
01-21-2017, 1:45 PM
Van,

I just spent a while searching for it - neither Google nor Grizzly show anything by the name Excalibur on Grizzly's site. I searched for the model number (#50-EXBC14) in various ways and any outlet that lists it says it is no longer available. I may give Grizzly a call today.

The only comparable thing I see online is the Exaktor blade guard which looks somewhat similar to the Excelsior / Excalibur, but more expensive at $499.

Maybe I'll take the family to Canada this summer...

-Brian

Excaliber is the General International name, here is the Grizzly which as noted has a different blade guard from the Excaliber but exactly the same as the King Rod posted.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Universal-Overarm-Blade-Guard-For-Table-Saws/T10113

Brian W Evans
01-23-2017, 9:15 AM
Thanks, Van and Greg. I didn't really look at the Grizzly because the main picture made it look significantly different from the Excelsior and the Excalibur. No that you pointed it out and I have looked more closely, I see that they are very similar.

John K Jordan
01-23-2017, 2:00 PM
Thanks for posting.

I have an Excalibur that looks just like that waiting patiently for installation. Maybe I'm inspired now. It should also add some color to my wood and steel decorating scheme. :)

JKJ

James Zhu
01-23-2017, 2:50 PM
http://www.busybeetools.com/products/overarm-blade-guard-system-cx-series-cxarm.html

You can get it from Canada. With the strong US$, 365 CAD is only about 275 US$ :)

Steve Mathews
02-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Do the guards talked about in this thread differ from the Delta Uniguard with regards to effectiveness? The Uniguard mounts on the saw and seems less cumbersome than something freestanding.

Rod Sheridan
02-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Hi Steve, looks like the Uniguard is an overarm guard, however it doesn't look like it has dust collection, something you would want in a guard.

It looks like it mounts to the saw, just like my Excelsior guard does.........Rod.

Steve Mathews
02-07-2017, 1:18 PM
Hi Steve, looks like the Uniguard is an overarm guard, however it doesn't look like it has dust collection, something you would want in a guard.

It looks like it mounts to the saw, just like my Excelsior guard does.........Rod.

I can't find the Excelsior guard to purchase. Is this a good alternative?
http://thesharkguard.com/SGK1%20PICS/Full%20Guard%20extra%20splitsmed.JPG

Dan Friedrichs
02-07-2017, 3:36 PM
Very nice installation, Rod!

Can I ask why you decided to replace the stock guard? It looks like this one might "roll up" the front edge of the workpiece more elegantly, but I'm curious what your reasons were.

Steve Mathews
02-07-2017, 5:42 PM
Turns out I have most of the parts needed to make the Shark Guard. A Biesemeyer splitter mount, 3 splitters, adjustable clamp and pawls were included in the used Jet cabinet saw I purchased a while back. Looks like all I need is the shroud itself.

Brian Henderson
02-07-2017, 5:59 PM
Turns out I have most of the parts needed to make the Shark Guard. A Biesemeyer splitter mount, 3 splitters, adjustable clamp and pawls were included in the used Jet cabinet saw I purchased a while back. Looks like all I need is the shroud itself.

It's not at all hard to do. When I made mine, I did it out of Lexan, exactly the size that I wanted and never had any problem with it. Unfortunately in my new shop, my ceiling-mounted guard can't be used anymore, I have to figure out what modifications I need to make to get it to fit.

Jim Becker
02-07-2017, 8:51 PM
Do the guards talked about in this thread differ from the Delta Uniguard with regards to effectiveness? The Uniguard mounts on the saw and seems less cumbersome than something freestanding.

The UniGuard is a well designed overarm guard, but doesn't have native dust collection capability and it installs in a way that makes it "fixed" in position...meaning you can't move it when you need to run something tall through the saw. I did construct a dust collection hood for one many, many years ago out of 1/4" Lexan, but that didn't solve the positioning problem. That's why I opted for the Excallibur for that particular saw when one became available to me. Native dust collection and easier to get out of the way when it was absolutely necessary to do so.

Rod Sheridan
02-08-2017, 9:15 AM
Very nice installation, Rod!

Can I ask why you decided to replace the stock guard? It looks like this one might "roll up" the front edge of the workpiece more elegantly, but I'm curious what your reasons were.

Hi Dan, the only issue I had with the Felder "Euro-guard" was that it was riving knife mounted so I couldn't use it for non through cuts.

Felder provide overarm guards for their more expensive machines, just not for the low priced ones................Rod.

Rod Sheridan
02-08-2017, 9:17 AM
I can't find the Excelsior guard to purchase. Is this a good alternative?
http://thesharkguard.com/SGK1%20PICS/Full%20Guard%20extra%20splitsmed.JPG

Hi Steve, it has the same issue my original guard has, being splitter mounted it can't be used for non through cuts.............Regards, Rod.

lowell holmes
02-08-2017, 10:07 AM
I've had the Exaktor guard for 15 years. I am satisfied with it.

Jim Becker
02-08-2017, 8:37 PM
Hi Dan, the only issue I had with the Felder "Euro-guard" was that it was riving knife mounted so I couldn't use it for non through cuts.

The same is true for my MiniMax Slider...so I bought a second riving knife for a reasonable sum and ground off the top so it would be short enough to not eclipse the height of the 10" saw blades I'm using on my 12" capable saw.

Steven Hosler
02-09-2017, 11:34 AM
The Excalibur products are marketed by General International now. Here is a link http://general.ca/products/2_excalibur/50-EXBC.html It looks like they have a 10" and 14" version, as well as a ceiling mounted version.

Jason White
02-09-2017, 1:52 PM
Per General's customer support, they are no longer manufacturing the Excalibur guard due to a dispute with the factory. No idea if/when they'll be available again.

Andy Giddings
04-06-2017, 9:54 AM
Resurrecting this thread - was looking into the Shark Guard today and the new design fits the Hammer K3 (so presumably would also fit other Hammer/Felder models), has a riving knife that permits non-through cuts as the knife is lower than the top of the blade, and you can order with a dust port up to 4 inches in diameter - which should be enough to ensure short offcuts go flying into the DC :-) Of course you would have to take the guard off for non-through cuts so not effective as the Excalibur/King approach. Cost seems to be around $230 and a longer version which covers the scoring blade can also be ordered

Len Rosenberg
04-06-2017, 7:54 PM
Rod, is there a reason why you are not running the dust collection through the yellow mounting tubes?

Len

Tom Trees
04-07-2017, 1:30 PM
Rod, is there a reason why you are not running the dust collection through the yellow mounting tubes? Len

Guessing as to not have a 90 degree bend in the hose.
Just after using a refurbished old tablesaw for the first time ever this morn, and can safely say that the hose needs to be in line with the saw blade.
How easy is it to remove the guard Rod?
I am considering making something similar, besides I need a mounting place for my VFD to bracket to.
Love to see more detail on this guard style, like any annoyances or design points which could be improved,
Or anything to look out for, as I've never seen one in the flesh and have a tendency to get paralysis by analysis syndrome.
Trying to get more of a concrete foundation for ideas to fabricate.
Thanks
Tom

Tom Trees
04-08-2017, 8:45 PM
Hi again
Back after looking at some designs, and pondering some more ...
Does anyone have a router hooked up on the table extension along with this setup?
I was thinking of starting with an upright and going from there,
It seems that this upright is going to be in the way of a possible router setup...
I ws hoping to mount my VFD on this upright, but it looks like it will be fouling everything.
I have a lever system on the base which is possibly complicating things also.

It seems like a quickly removable bracket is in order ...maybe out of stainless, as it would need to be a tight fit .
I have been messing around with a length of lumber to try and get an idea where it is to go.
I don't mind if it's more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm seriously starting to get the idea, it would been better to have the lever system on the other side
Weight distribution niggles and now this .
I can always have an upright that snakes around these bits though
Doesn't seem like the VFD would have been without it's mounting problems anyway
Just a bit more welding, I suppose....
Eager to see what other folks did to counter this issue ...
Doesn't seem like a great idea to have the DC hose through the bar it seems?
Tom357946357947

Tom Trees
04-11-2017, 5:35 PM
OK ...so I've sourced some materials from the scrap pile, and I've came up with the first phase of design,mostly from an old exercise machine.
The U-channel is for the bolt on upright, and will provide mounting place for the VFD
The stainless pipe will fit inside the U-channel and be removable, and the grey bracket will slide up/down and swing out of the way,
The other grey bracket is only there for joining two stainless pipes togther for testing height.
the other shorter stainless pipe on the table, will fit tightly inside joining the two stainless pipes.

Now all I got to do next is figure out how tall the thing needs to be,
There is 23" between the table and the arm
The Excalibur arm looks to be shorter, and the Excelsior shorter again.
Judging from Rod's experience, one might take a pot shot assumption that it doesn't make any difference....

So, Is their any advantage to having the guard taller or shorter?
Thanks for the advice
Tom

Rod Sheridan
04-12-2017, 11:00 AM
Rod, is there a reason why you are not running the dust collection through the yellow mounting tubes? Len

Guessing as to not have a 90 degree bend in the hose.
Just after using a refurbished old tablesaw for the first time ever this morn, and can safely say that the hose needs to be in line with the saw blade.
How easy is it to remove the guard Rod?
I am considering making something similar, besides I need a mounting place for my VFD to bracket to.
Love to see more detail on this guard style, like any annoyances or design points which could be improved,
Or anything to look out for, as I've never seen one in the flesh and have a tendency to get paralysis by analysis syndrome.
Trying to get more of a concrete foundation for ideas to fabricate.
Thanks
Tom

I didn't use the tube for air because I use the old guard occasionally.

The guard swings out of the way by releasing a single locking lever, very convenient.............Regards, Rod.

Tom Trees
04-12-2017, 11:29 AM
Rob, Sorry to be pestering you, but would you mind mentioning why you use the old guard occasionally ...
Is this the riving knife mounted one the one your talking about ?
I'm curious that you have the Excelsior guard lower than the older Excalibur guard
Did you ever need to have the guard at this height ?

The two chrome pipes came apart so I am not as worried as before about chopping the height down as I go
Looks like the U-channel is too high also,
smooth going so far
Tom

Tom Trees
04-12-2017, 9:16 PM
Hello again
making a bit more progress...
I have since been pondering about cover design, and an idea struck me that seems a good'un....
The Axminster TSCE-400R-1 guard looks to be one of the best, as there's one flat 90 close to the blade side, and the
other side allows for blade tilting .
However....
It doesn't look like you can swing it around, so the flat side can be used close against the fence for narrow rips.
I was thinking of making a design that utilizes the dust port as the height adjustment along with the ability to swing the blade cover around to
enable thin rips .
It seems that the riving knife would be best if it was shaped like the blade ...I'm on the fence about making another riving knife, as I think their must be a
reason the original shape is like this ...
Is it just for enabling the use of the riving knife crown guard ???
I kinda like the shape of it, and might make another instead, if I have enough meat left of the stainless plate

Since I have no dust extraction yet I might just make a square shape guard to see how things go.
I have a good few sheets of perspex material for the job
And it might be a learning curve to work with, so I might just fire ahead
Keep ye posted
Love to hear opinions about the overall height of the boom, even though my design theory isn't dependent on the
cross link extension bits ...
We'll see how things go
Tom

Rod Sheridan
04-13-2017, 9:06 AM
Tom, just make a guard out of 1/4" plywood.

You don't need to see anything so plywood is easy to cut and glue.........Rod.

Rod Sheridan
10-03-2017, 12:45 PM
Rod, is there a reason why you are not running the dust collection through the yellow mounting tubes?

Len

Yes Len, it would make the hose come out in an awkward spot on my installation.

The overhead hose works both with my new guard and with my original Hammer guard..........Regards, Rod.