PDA

View Full Version : Finding the darndest things

Michael Weber
01-18-2017, 5:30 PM
Working on cleaning up the crawl space on my old house. Taking out old unused duct work, mostly big return air ducts. They just kind of run all over and makes it difficult to move around for other jobs. Insulation is covered with decades of dirt and the insides are worse. I'm finding all kinds of things in them. Not sure how some of the stuff could have found it way in there. I've found 8 coffee mugs, old prescription bottles from the 70's, some with pills included. An electric pencil sharpener, Christmas decorations including 3 bags of fake snow that's probably banned now and a bag of unopened macaroni and lots of general household stuff. Today I found the most unusual thing yet. An unopened box of Remington 30-30 bullets. Opened for the picture. The cardboard is dry and brittle. When does deer season open? :cool:352140352141

Myk Rian
01-18-2017, 6:49 PM
Weird. People will pay good money for those bullets.

Michael Weber
01-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Weird. People will pay good money for those bullets.
really? I believe they're from the early to mid 80's. I thought they would be of questionable reliability now. I was going to take them to the police department for disposal.

John K Jordan
01-19-2017, 12:46 AM
Working on cleaning up the crawl space on my old house. Taking out old unused duct work, mostly big return air ducts. They just kind of run all over and makes it difficult to move around for other jobs. Insulation is covered with decades of dirt and the insides are worse. I'm finding all kinds of things in them. Not sure how some of the stuff could have found it way in there. I've found 8 coffee mugs, old prescription bottles from the 70's, some with pills included. An electric pencil sharpener, Christmas decorations including 3 bags of fake snow that's probably banned now and a bag of unopened macaroni and lots of general household stuff. Today I found the most unusual thing yet. An unopened box of Remington 30-30 bullets. Opened for the picture. The cardboard is dry and brittle. When does deer season open? :cool:

I regularly use 30 cal cartridges in an M1 carbine, some from the 40s. Never had a misfire on those. Perhaps someone hid the cartridges down in the ducts.

Did you find a big cache of money yet? A piano-tuner friend of mine went to a country household to appraise an old piano. The husband/father had died some years before and the family was trying to sell anything that would put food on the table. The piano had no value but my friend found a paper bag inside with $40,000 cash, the guy's settlement money for the black-lung disease he died from. The family was..., well, you can imagine!

And my mother-in-law used to hide money under the rug.

I keep all mine in a, ..., ah, where did I... hmm.

JKJ

Kev Williams
01-19-2017, 12:02 PM
I found some interesting old bullets amongst my dads stuff awhile back--
there's several of the .38's, some .22's obviously, a couple of spent .38 specials, and the copper tops look just like the .38's but they're 9mm...
352195 352197 352196

I engrave guns for several gun shops around here, no one I've showed these to has ever seen .38 'shorts'...
They may be from the 1920's, but not positive. The gun they fit (it's around here somewhere, the wife hid it ;) ) is exactly like the one in the pic below, a 'third model' Ivers Johnson, which were mf'd between 1909 and 1941.
Someone told me years ago they thought my dad's .38 was built in 1919 based on the SN. Dad was born in '24 so the timeline fits as the gun was HIS dad's...

Now if only I was actually a gun nut :)