PDA

View Full Version : It has Been awhile Happy New Year to all... Fan Question

Craig Matheny
01-18-2017, 1:30 PM
I know this question has been around for awhile but technology continually changes. I am running 2 lasers using Harbor freights exhaust blowers, hey work fine. The problem is the noise and the cost to operate 750w x 2 1500 watts running 10 hours a day 15kw a day at .25 of each 3.75 a day 75.00 a month 900.00 per year for sucking air.. Second issue is noise I have 6 feet of duct between laser and fan then about 17 feet on the exhaust side to clear second story.

So here is the question I see some have started using hydroponic/ inline blowers any ideas?
Those that do not like inline and suggestions.

Please share what you have done and what has worked or not for you.

Thanks I am in a pinch as I am dealing with a noise complaint again so I have to get a solution.

John Lifer
01-18-2017, 1:51 PM
I'll assume the blower is inside and you are just exhausting air and the noise issue is from the exhaust?
Build a box to that is insulated that you dump the air into. Add baffles to reduce noise before it exits.
Just simple plywood, and fiberglass insulation.

I moved my HF dust collector outside to the other side of the exterior wall and enclosed it in a simple 2x4 and exterior grade sheet.
No insulation except std r13 fiberglass in my std 4" wall, and interior wall is simple paneling. (exterior is masonite lap siding).
I have a hard time hearing it back inside. If it wasn't for the air moving thru the duct, I'd not hear the motor.

I've seen several made from sheet goods with charcoal, but no idea if it works. Epilog makes some nice filters.... but pricey.
And you need TWO? I'd think one could pull enough air for two Epilogs unless you are really cutting a lot of wood.

Mike Null
01-18-2017, 5:11 PM
My inline blower is beginning its 20th year. I can stand next to it and talk on the phone. It costs more than HF stuff but it's quiet and gets the job done. Look online or at WW Grainger.

Also, it doesn't suck all the heat out of the basement.

Craig Matheny
01-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Mike how you been? Do you have any specs cfm amps or watts?

Craig Matheny
01-19-2017, 10:54 AM
John they are outside in a box but still to noisy we need to be under 55db at 68 with box and egg carton foam inside. We vent 17' too clear second story so it is blower/ motor noise not the air

Mike Null
01-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Craig

Mine is a 300 cfm unit which is out of manufacture. I bought it at Grainger and 20 years ago paid about $350. I believe you'll need closer to 600 cfm to move the air that far.

Craig Matheny
01-19-2017, 8:35 PM
Thanks Mike. So no issues with inline having enough suction to hold wood inplace

Mike Null
01-20-2017, 7:50 AM
Craig

Both of the machines I've had exhaust out the back and I use a homemade cutting grid so a vacuum is not part of my equation. I don't have any issues with parts moving but my system just removes smoke and odor.

If I anticipate that a part will move I used tape or magnets or other clamps to secure it.

Craig Matheny
01-20-2017, 8:16 PM
Thanks Mike

John Lifer
01-20-2017, 8:57 PM
I'd never be able to suck enough air to hold down my parts with an exhaust. 1300x900 table is big..but so far my cheap Chinese blower pulls enough air to keep smoke and smell down to a minimum. I dont know cfm, it is decent not as much as a hf dust collector, but way quieter.

Kev Williams
01-21-2017, 1:52 AM
Just some notes--

I have a 6" pipe sticking out of my garage window, it's the exhaust for my Triumph and GCC, a typical 'green' (gray these days) HF blower, which is IN the garage with the machines (for now). From 8' away the air exiting the pipe is nearly dead silent. I also have a blower in the basement stairwell, the 4" exhaust exits thru the wrought iron railing at ground level. It's slightly louder than the 6" pipe, but still barely noticeable from 20' away. The motor itself is only barely audible. I have a hot tub that has a pump motor kick on at low speed about 4 times a day to filter and heat the water. That pump never bothers anyone, and it's easily twice as loud as the HF blower and air noise. finally, I have a 6x8' plastic shed with insulated wall panels. Inside the shed is a nearly 20 year old Coleman 80 gallon 2-stage compressor, and one of the LARGE HF blowers. The blower is totally inaudible from 15' away, and from 40' away you can barely hear than noisy compressor running. Neither of these machines has ever resulted in a complaint from a neighbor. I've been going to hang some 4" glass insulation on the walls in that shed for good measure, but with no complaints, just haven't done it. :)