PDA

View Full Version : Festool ETS 150/3 - go with the brushless?

david mcintyre
01-18-2017, 8:32 AM
I'm getting ready to buy a ROS and have decided to pull the trigger on a festool ETS 150/3. What is the benefit of going brushless and is it worth the extra $125? TIA.
Sincerely, Dave.

Jamie Buxton
01-18-2017, 9:57 AM
As far as I can tell, the primary benefit of the brushless is that it weighs considerably less than the conventional one. If you do a lot of sanding on vertical surfaces that might be a good thing. But if you do most of your sanding on horizontal parts, the lower weight isn't too good. The higher weight of the conventional sander helps push the sandpaper into the wood.

Bill Adamsen
01-18-2017, 10:15 AM
I very much like the 150/3. I've been using it for about a year or so. The effective dust collection and the auto-start vacuum feature are big plusses. The sanding action is really superb. The selection of pad hardness and polishing (yes I occasionally choose it over the Rotex to polish) pads makes it quite versatile. Sorry, I don't have experience with their other sanders (besides the Rotex) to provide a comparison for your specific question.

Van Huskey
01-18-2017, 10:45 AM
The biggest benefit is ergonomics, the low profile and light weight make them a pleasure to use for long periods plus the brushless motor should last much longer and use less electricity. It also has more power. While I prefer the Mirka brushless sanders (they are even smaller in the hand) the Festool ETS EC is the only other ROS I would consider, but then the Mirka is even more expensive.

Chris Hachet
01-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Very happy Festool Brushless user here.

Robin Frierson
01-18-2017, 11:09 AM
Can anyone tell me with the Mirka, do you have to have the paddle down all the time for the sander to work...or is there a way to lock it on and take you hand off the paddle. The reason I ask is sometimes I reach across a wide project holding the sander by the hose and was wondering if you could do that with the Mirka.

Bruce Page
01-18-2017, 11:10 AM
I have the regular ETS 150, which wasn't cheap. The $125 premium for the new model wouldn't be worth it to me.

Van Huskey
01-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Can anyone tell me with the Mirka, do you have to have the paddle down all the time for the sander to work...or is there a way to lock it on and take you hand off the paddle. The reason I ask is sometimes I reach across a wide project holding the sander by the hose and was wondering if you could do that with the Mirka.

No, but blue tape is your friend. It works just like an air sander.

Hoang N Nguyen
01-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Less vibration, smaller size, less weight, more powerful motor, more efficient. All around better sander than it's older sister. So yes, it's worth the extra bucks.

Ben Rivel
01-18-2017, 12:20 PM
Go with the brushless (EC). Ive got one and its a super nice sander with the improvements/benefits everyone has already listed.

david mcintyre
01-20-2017, 8:39 AM
Thanks everyone. Dave.