PDA

View Full Version : Another just curious

lowell holmes
01-17-2017, 11:08 PM
When honing edges I use mdf charged with green honing compound. Prior to this, I used leather on a board charged with green honing compound.

What do you use?

glenn bradley
01-18-2017, 12:14 AM
Leather and green.

Ray Selinger
01-18-2017, 1:07 AM
For hand use, there is a plywood covered with paper used for painted signs and Lee Valley's green compound. I think it's chromium oxide.

Jim Koepke
01-18-2017, 1:20 PM
Various pieces of leather and green compound from a lapidary supply store.

Usually the leather is supported on my drill press table for flat edges. For shaped edges various pieces of shaped wood are used with a flexible piece of leather to match the shape of the blade.

jtk

Terry Beadle
01-19-2017, 10:36 AM
I use rock maple flattened via a smoother and verified via certified straight edge.
Then rubbed with green compound and a dab or three of half micron diamond dust.

So far it's lasted over a year with just a little refresh of green compound.

I've also created one with white compound and it is used after the green compound hone.

Then if I'm crazy ( often are...hoot!) I use some newspaper for final very lite polishing.

Works great.

Enjoy the shavings

Shawn Pixley
01-20-2017, 9:29 AM
I use a piece of wood with leather on one side. Both sides are charged with the green.

paul cottingham
01-20-2017, 2:32 PM
Leather and green and maple and green, and an old belt.

Robert Hazelwood
01-20-2017, 2:52 PM
Leather stuck to a board, no compound.

Prashun Patel
01-20-2017, 3:08 PM
Horse butt scraps taped to a beech block. Chromium oxide on one, nothing on another. A piece of hard maple with some croxide also. Personally I prefer the maple best but for no good reason. It just feels the best. Don't go by me.

William Fretwell
01-20-2017, 3:51 PM
I use Rolls Royce seat leather offcuts stretch glued to planed flat quarter sawn maple that I keep in a temperature & humidity controlled cabinet with some green stuff. :)

Rob Luter
01-21-2017, 7:45 AM
I use Rolls Royce seat leather offcuts stretch glued to planed flat quarter sawn maple that I keep in a temperature & humidity controlled cabinet with some green stuff. :)

And I thought I was the only one....

paul cottingham
01-21-2017, 3:46 PM
I forgot to note, all my strops are anchored to my bench, facing magnetic north-south (I realign them regularly) to keep the bits of leather standing true.

Dont laugh. It works.

Ok ok laugh a little.

Stanley Powers
02-03-2017, 8:49 AM
Leather and white compound. A bit more coarse that the green, buy rarely do I have to use stones to maintain an edge on all my tools. Easier to stay sharp that to get sharp!