PDA

View Full Version : Galvo fiber laser

Sebastien Rouget
01-17-2017, 6:10 PM
Hello,

We have an Epilog Helix 40W CO2 laser sinds nearly 6 years and we would like to buy a galvo fiber laser.
After a lot of reading about fiber laser during one year (suppliers, forum, blogs, Fiber laser, MOPA laser, power, laser sources, 2D or 3D, possibilities, ...).
And after contacted some people who have bought a fiber laser in China,
And after contacted 10 chinese laser suppliers, ... The choice is difficult and what exactly we will receive ?
My conclusion is that we can buy a chinese fiber system at a competitive price even with an western laser source.

Why not see in China the laser, the companies, ... So I have decided to go in China to visit the factory and test the fiber laser systems.
The 22 23 and 24 of february I will be in China. I have selected 2 possible suppliers.

I am interested in a MOPA fiber laser 20W or 30W with a good galvo and probably an IPG laser source. Options: Double axis splicing Marking system, camera, ... I will test several systems. I will pay attention to the support of the company, the prices, the warranty, ...
You can contact me if you have any question or any input.

Sebastien

I will post a review end february with pictures and video.

Tim Bateson
01-18-2017, 9:14 AM
I applaud anyone who goes that extra mile (a few thousand in your case). What are your plans for the fiber?

Bill George
01-18-2017, 9:30 AM
My guess he will spend more on the trip than the machine. A Search on here will bring up more info he needs.

Neville Stewart
01-18-2017, 2:51 PM
IPG MOPA 30 watt. Id love to visit to see it all.

Sebastien Rouget
01-19-2017, 8:34 AM
I applaud anyone who goes that extra mile (a few thousand in your case). What are your plans for the fiber?

They have send me answers to my questions already (20 emails received).

The plans are:

See the fiber laser in action with my materials (stainless steel, aluminium, pmma, plastic, ...) and my files.
Receive explanation about the parameters in EzCAD software and their suggested parameters for each type of job.
See in action some options like rotary, Moving table, Double axis splicing Marking, camera, ...

Compare some fiber laser source like IPG, JPT and Raycus and the power (20W, 30W)
See a 3D fiber laser system in action.
See the differences between a JPT M6 serie and an IPG laser source to mark an iPad for exemple.

Sébastien

Kev Williams
01-19-2017, 12:16 PM
My 'dream machine' is a 60w MOPA. Not for the 'in color' engraving so much as I'm in serious need of faster deep engraving. I just quoted a job yesterday that will take roughly 50 hours of pure machine time. That's okay in and of itself, but my other customers need a turn too!

But finding info on whether a MOPA is actually what I need or not is becoming an exercise in futility ;) Which is leading to a debate in my own mind similar to "will 3 glass lasers do more work than 1 western laser?" --a 60w MOPA may be the bomb, but I can buy 3 more machines identical to the one I have for the same or less money, which in the long run may be the better option... ?

Gary Hair
01-19-2017, 12:22 PM
a 60w MOPA may be the bomb, but I can buy 3 more machines identical to the one I have for the same or less money, which in the long run may be the better option... ?

You already know the answer to that Kev! hint: it's "Yes"

Rodne Gold
01-19-2017, 1:13 PM
I have always subscribed to the ethos of having multiple machines over a single do it all singing dancing whatever .. times when I wished I had the uberlaser..but not often..
sebastian , spring the $7k a 30w chinese fiber will cost door to door , 5 days airfreight . Play right now for little money

Anthony Nguyen
04-11-2017, 12:22 AM
They have send me answers to my questions already (20 emails received).

The plans are:

See the fiber laser in action with my materials (stainless steel, aluminium, pmma, plastic, ...) and my files.
Receive explanation about the parameters in EzCAD software and their suggested parameters for each type of job.
See in action some options like rotary, Moving table, Double axis splicing Marking, camera, ...

Compare some fiber laser source like IPG, JPT and Raycus and the power (20W, 30W)
See a 3D fiber laser system in action.
See the differences between a JPT M6 serie and an IPG laser source to mark an iPad for exemple.

Sébastien

Can you update on this? JPT any good vs IPG? I was quoted by Ray Fine 30W M6+ JPT source, rotary, DHL Express $9850. I did a search but couldn't find anything about JPT M6+ laser source

John Lifer
04-11-2017, 8:24 AM
Anthony, I looked at the high-end MOPA, but bought the m1. Goes up to 400Hz freq. Which works well on nylons delrin, abs. Haven't tried silicones, but fails on polypropylene and polyethylene and base styrenes. Which I expected. For cost difference, do you need M6? I didn't,so even on my 20watt, I saved several thousand..

Anthony Nguyen
04-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Honestly I don't know if I need the high-end at this point or not, but I already have a 20w q-switch which is very basic. It just had a recent hiccup that I needed to replace the scanhead. The downtime was what made me look for a 2nd unit as backup. And since I have the basic I thought I would get a 30w and mopa instead. That way if I expand to other materials and color marking in the future I will have that option. Right now I engrave gift items and zippos and kinves etc... I thought engraving color on zippos might be a niche :-D
For me the price diff of 20w M6 and 30w M6 was $1600. 20W M6 with rotary and express shipping was quote $8200. I think the M1 will be a bit cheaper.

James Walker
04-11-2017, 3:43 PM
Anthony Here are the specs on the M6:

http://www.jptelectronics.com/en/pd_302_302_371.htm

Laser Type

Unit

MOPA

Product Model

YDFLP-20-M6+-S

YDFLP-30-M6+-L1

YDFLP-30-M6+-S

M2

<1.3

<1.8

<1.3

Delivery Cable Length

m

Nominal Average Output Power

W

>20

>30

>30

Maximum Pulse Energy

mJ

Full Power Repetition Range

kHz

40~2000

31~2000

60~2000

Pulse Repetition Rate Range

kHz

1~2000

Pulse Duration

ns

1~250

2~250

2~250

Longtime Average Power stability

% 

<5%

Cooling Method

Air Cooling

Supply DC Voltage (VDC)

V

Current Consumption

A

<8

<10

<10

Current Supply Consumption

A

>8

>10

>10

Power Consumption@20℃

W

<192

<240

<240

Central Emission Wavelength

nm

Emission Bandwidth@3dB

nm

<15

Polarization

Random

Anti-Reflection Protection

Yes

Output Beam Diameter

mm

7±0.5

6±0.5

7±0.5

Output Power Tuning Range

%

0~100

Operation Temperature

0~40

Storage Temperature

-10~60

Weight

KG

N.W:8 G.W:9.75

Dimension W×D×H (mm)

mm

315×220×99

John Lifer
04-11-2017, 4:02 PM
Anthony, the 20w M1 is a good bit cheaper, I was under $5500 with duty to my door. I added table, rotary, glasses and second lens and I was just at $6k.
Ray Fine. Took them about 10 days, and then just a few to get to US. Two days to get from US customs to my door. (without me delaying an additional 5 for being out of town)

Anthony Nguyen
04-11-2017, 11:47 PM
Thanks James for the info!
John, do you like your 20w M1? As mentioned in the other thread I now think I don't need M6, so I will be getting either 20w M1 or 30w M1 with autofocus and cyclops cam (still waiting feedback from James for those to see if it s worth the money to add them)
I was quoted $7k for the 20w M1 and $8.2k for 30w M1 (with rotary, DHL express)

Anthony Nguyen
04-12-2017, 12:05 AM
John I think you ordered the series with repetition range 1-400 khz instead of 1-1000. The later one can mark color or at least alot easier than max range 400 khz

James Walker
04-12-2017, 7:45 AM
Anthony I posted in the other thread that I do not have machine yet just placed order. I bought the auto focus and cyclops with the hope that they are useful. If they are not a benefit then I don't view it as that much cost. If I didn't get them I would probably be wishing that I had them. I also ordered an enclosure for the marking area. My idea was that it would be easier to make an exhaust system.