PDA

View Full Version : losing internet connection

Bob Rufener
01-17-2017, 7:34 AM
At a condo in FL, we have a Motorola 63443 modem/router that we have and our ISP is Comcast. The system was working fine until recently. Now, several times a day, we lose our connection. I can restore the connection by unscrewing the cable in the back of the Motorola unit, pausing for about 15 seconds and rescrewing it back in. This was the recommended fix by a Comcast associate. I am wondering if my modem/router is causing the problem or if this is a Comcast issue. Is there a way I can test the Motorola unit? If I have Comcast come here, they are likely to charge a "fat" service charge if the problem is mine. Any suggestions or recommendations? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jerome Stanek
01-17-2017, 7:39 AM
Do you own the modem if not take it back and get a new one I had this problem and it was the modem router that they supplied.

George Bokros
01-17-2017, 7:42 AM
Will Comcast allow you to take the modem into one of their offices and swap it for another one? Time Warner will allow you to do this.

I hate to have TW come out. There was one time when I knew it was the modem but they insisted on coming out. The tech checked every connection in the house and every connection from the street to the house and then proceeded to ask me if I was using all the cable runs in the house. I told him no and he proceeded to disconnect the ones I was not using. After all that he said your modem was bad.

John K Jordan
01-17-2017, 8:05 AM
Comcast told me that recent upgrades to their system resulted in problems with some older modems and routers. If using a Comcast-supplied modem/router and it is inconvenient to take it to a store to swap, they can be persuaded to ship new equipment to you and provide a shipping label for you to return the old equipment, all at no cost to you.

Art Mann
01-17-2017, 10:13 AM
I had the same experience as John. The cable guy came out and told me my cable modem was obsolete and he needed to swap it out for a new one. I declined because I realized that they had been renting me an obsolete piece of equipment for years when newer stuff was available at the same rate. Instead, I bought one of the new Netgear combination modem/wireless router boxes and the speed difference is just huge. Sometimes I think that cable companies need to be tightly regulated like other utility companies. The internet is an essential service for a large percentage of people.

John Terefenko
01-17-2017, 10:16 AM
I will add another vote for modem. Just replaced last month and that was the answer.

Andy Pogue
01-17-2017, 5:06 PM
We were having the same kind of problems with Charter/Spectrum. Intermittent cutting out or extreme slowdown, it went from great to very bad in 3 or4 days. I was sure it was the modem, but they said that from their end it was good. Technician came out and blamed old inefficient wireing. I thought it was hog wash, but after replacing a couple of runs under the house it is up and faster than ever.
My question was why all of a sudden. Their answer was an upgrade in service that overloaded my old wires capacity. I don't know for sure, but it is good now. One thing that they checked for is old type splitters that can't handle modern speeds. Do away with all unnecessary spotters and upgrade old gold ones designed for vcr and tv splits. Good luck!

Kev Williams
01-17-2017, 5:45 PM
Access the modem and check out the info... Most modems are accessible in your browser using address 192.168.100.1 ... While most of what's there is in geek-eze, you can find your latest up-time, and the log files can give you an indication of when things are working funny, and the descriptions.

For example, my current up-time is 16 days 22 hours 34 minutes, last logged events were Dec. 31'st-- While I don't know much else, I do know that 16 days without incident means my modem isn't 'obsolete' just yet! (Motorola Surfboard)

Myk Rian
01-17-2017, 8:05 PM
Comcast modem/router address is 10.0.0.1
User admin
PW password
Real secure, eh?

Comcast advertises "Free Internet Access". Know why? The second channel of your router is open to anyone that wants to use it.
Turn it off.

Bob Rufener
01-19-2017, 11:54 AM
I should have been more clear with my thread. We do own our own modem/router. It is about 2 years old. I tried using the url that Kev Williams suggested but it brought up a page from Arris that needed a user name and password which I don't have.

Eric Keller
01-19-2017, 6:21 PM
I'm sure that information is in the router manual if not printed on a label that is stuck to the modem. Google says it's
admin
password

Mike Dowell
01-19-2017, 7:49 PM
Big companies like Comcast *love* to blame "customer owned" equipment for malfunctions. What's more, when you have a problem, their first solution is that you get their equipment - and pay a fee. Can you post some pics of your equipment? Let's see if we can walk you through a "hard reset" to rule out many other problems first.

Myk Rian
01-19-2017, 8:18 PM
I should have been more clear with my thread. We do own our own modem/router. It is about 2 years old. I tried using the url that Kev Williams suggested but it brought up a page from Arris that needed a user name and password which I don't have.
Cripe. I gave you that info 2 days ago, right over your post. Did you try it?

Brian Elfert
01-20-2017, 12:08 AM
At a condo in FL, we have a Motorola 63443 modem/router that we have and our ISP is Comcast. The system was working fine until recently. Now, several times a day, we lose our connection. I can restore the connection by unscrewing the cable in the back of the Motorola unit, pausing for about 15 seconds and rescrewing it back in. This was the recommended fix by a Comcast associate. I am wondering if my modem/router is causing the problem or if this is a Comcast issue. Is there a way I can test the Motorola unit? If I have Comcast come here, they are likely to charge a "fat" service charge if the problem is mine. Any suggestions or recommendations? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I had basically this exact problem with Comcast a few months ago. Modem would work about 15 to 20 minutes at a time. The call center folks did a few tests remotely and claimed my modem was bad. They sent a tech out who knew the signal strength was low before he even stepped in the house. I had a powered splitter on the line and the tech said that it wasn't compatible with their system. He replaced it with a new one at no charge.