PDA

View Full Version : How to make this cut...safely?

Paul Richard
01-16-2017, 4:34 PM
Hi All,

Any suggestions on how to safely make this cut? My blade height is about a 1/2 short of the desired depth. I considered making a few passes on my table saw and doing the rest with a chisel. Either way, I figured someone here would have a smart and safe way to do this. See attached pics

Thanks!

- Paul

John Lanciani
01-16-2017, 5:11 PM
What goes in the slot and how precise does it need to be? On first glance I would cut two kerfs with a band saw (or a hand saw) and chisel out the waste.

Lee Schierer
01-16-2017, 5:48 PM
I would use a band saw to do that cut.

Rich Riddle
01-16-2017, 7:01 PM
I would go as deep as possible with your table saw and cut the remaining portion with the band saw. In all honesty if you have a vise, even a good solid hand saw would finish another 1/2" cut in depth. I have a few from Mike Allen that would excel at that. Since you're making this from treated wood, I am guessing beauty isn't the main theme.

Jim Becker
01-16-2017, 7:53 PM
I would also use the band saw for that cut on that particular sized piece.

lowell holmes
01-16-2017, 9:17 PM
I would finish it with my Disston D7 rip saw. It would be safe, quick and accurate.

Paul Richard
01-17-2017, 6:14 PM
Excellent - thanks guys! I don't know why I didn't consider the band saw. The table and chop saw got a lot of consideration and head scratching, but never the band saw. I guess I just needed another set of eyes on it.