PDA

View Full Version : cutting rubber

Dave Macy
01-16-2017, 3:14 PM
I'm going to use my folk's tractor to plow snow for the rest of the winter. My dad said I need to put some type of rubber on the steel blade or the massey will destroy the blacktop (it's a rear 3pt hitch cat 1 blade). I'm going to get a rubber stall mat from TSC and want to cut it so that it's 60" long and 6" wide. It's 3/4" thick rubber. What's the best way to cut that? Thanks

Jerome Stanek
01-16-2017, 4:30 PM
I cut some of that stuff for my daughters dogs I just used a utility knife and straight edge had to do about 5 passes

John K Jordan
01-16-2017, 6:42 PM
I've cut a lot of 3/4" thick stall mats from the co-op and TSC. I trim them to fit tightly together in my stalls. I use a straight edge and like Jerome I use a standard utility knife with multiple cuts. It cuts surprisingly easy for such thick rubber. Sometimes it is easier to make the last few cuts if I put a board underneath and bend the mat a little at the cut.

JKJ

Rich Riddle
01-16-2017, 6:49 PM
My grandfather used to use a utility knife as well. He would heat the blade of the knife with a soldering torch and swore it made it cut easier. It certainly made it smell. He also used a straight edge and board under it.

Brian Brown
01-16-2017, 7:32 PM
I'm with John and Jerome. Also, try using soapy water for lubrication, and with a very sharp knife, you can probably get it in one or two passes.

Jim Kimbrough
01-16-2017, 8:29 PM
I have cut conveyor belts with a uility knfe and squirted a bit of penetrating oil on the cut line for lubrication and was surprised how easy it was compared with no oil.

Ed Aumiller
01-16-2017, 9:54 PM
Instead of placing rubber on the blade, a good method that will last is to split a pipe (1.5"-2") lengthwise and put on the bottom of it...
Did that to one of my blades 10-15 years ago and still works great..

Tony Pisano
01-17-2017, 9:29 AM
W used to cut heavy die rubber in our shop on the band saw, but it was a big saw. I'm not sure how well it would work on a home shop saw. It you want to try it, make a cut in a scrap of wood or plywood and leave it on the table so there is no clearance for the material to get pulled in.

John K Jordan
01-17-2017, 9:47 AM
W used to cut heavy die rubber in our shop on the band saw, but it was a big saw. I'm not sure how well it would work on a home shop saw. It you want to try it, make a cut in a scrap of wood or plywood and leave it on the table so there is no clearance for the material to get pulled in.

That should work but yikes, a 3/4" 4x6' stall mat is so heavy and awkward to handle it might take a HUGE table or 5-6 people! :-) Even moving one by myself without the rope trick is a real chore.

Dave, a horse or goat farmer who lined his stalls might give you some strips left over from trimming. The mats are expensive ($40 or so) unless you can work a deal and buy a few pallets at once.

JKJ

Jim Andrew
01-17-2017, 2:24 PM
If you have a local coop grain elevator, you might check with them before buying one of these mats. They use heavy belting for conveyors etc, and replace it when worn. You might find something that will work that is maybe free or very cheap. I use some pieces of scrap belting around the farm.

Van Huskey
01-26-2017, 2:58 AM
I wonder if anyone can guess how I would cut it... :D