PDA

View Full Version : Festool 5 inch sanding discs

kevin nee
01-16-2017, 9:37 AM
Any suggestions for suppliers for Festool 5 inch sanding discs? Any aftermarket discs available? Does anyone make a hole punch for the Festool hole pattern? I just jumped into the Festool sanding world. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 9:50 AM
Never seen a hole punch for anything but 1/2 sheet sanders. Both Klingspor and Rhynogrip make paper with Festool hole patterns, I have used Klingspor for years (they have retail woodworking stores but the company is primarily an industrial abrasive manufacturer based in the heart of the NC furniture manufacturing area).

It must be said though Festool makes very good abrasives and in the end based on their longevity they really aren't that overpriced at all.

Rod Sheridan
01-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Hi Kevin, I found that the Festool disks provided more life than the Klingspor I normally used, making them cost effective.................Rod.

Jim Tobias
01-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Kevin,
I use these Mirka Abranet discs on both my 6" and 5" Festool sanders. I find the dust collection to be excellent and they also last. Also clogging is not an issue. You do have to buy the interface pad for your sander. It goes between the sander pad and the Mirka Abranet. It also aids dust collection. A couple of links below. No connection, just a source that I have used with success. Also free shipping in most cases.

Jim

ebay.com/itm/Mirka-9955-5-Abranet-Pad-Protector-Hook-n-Loop-Qty-5-/281009313116?hash=item416d75d55c

stores.ebay.com/YourSandingSource?submit=%C2%A0&_nkw=5%22+Mirka+Abranet+discs

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 1:29 PM
Kevin,
I use these Mirka Abranet discs on both my 6" and 5" Festool sanders. I find the dust collection to be excellent and they also last. Also clogging is not an issue. You do have to buy the interface pad for your sander. It goes between the sander pad and the Mirka Abranet. It also aids dust collection. A couple of links below. No connection, just a source that I have used with success. Also free shipping in most cases.

Jim

Odd I didn't think to mention Abranet I guess I was just blindly answering his question and also I guess I assumed he was looking for a cheaper alternative. I use Abranet almost exclusively on both my Mirka and Festool sanders, it is by far my favorite raw wood abrasive discs.

In the end abrasives tend to be one of those you get what you pay for thing and although Klingspor is quality paper (and I use other types all the time) Festool and Mirka discs are just as cost efficient in the long run, the only issue is the initial stocking of the grits you use.

Matt Day
01-16-2017, 1:50 PM
My only suggestion is to kindly reduce your font size. It's huge in mobile view. Thanks!

Mike Heidrick
01-16-2017, 2:07 PM
The 9955 did not fit the pro5 sander holes. You actually use one Jim? I am thinking of just adding holes to them.

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 2:13 PM
The 9955 did not fit the pro5 sander holes. You actually use one Jim? I am thinking of just adding holes to them.

When I got my first Festool sander I just added holes to the interface pads since I had several of them already. I have never looked for one that actually fit.

Ben Rivel
01-16-2017, 2:57 PM
I just bite the bullet and buy the Festool stuff.

Jim Tobias
01-16-2017, 3:29 PM
Mike,
I forgot to mention that. I do put the appropriate holes in the interface pad with a punch when I first get it. IMHO the mirka abranet sanding products allow much better airflow and do not clog.

Jim

fRED mCnEILL
01-16-2017, 4:03 PM
Check out Industrial Abrasives. They have the proper holes and are cheaper AND better than Festool.(and Klingspor).

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 4:10 PM
Check out Industrial Abrasives. They have the proper holes and are cheaper AND better than Festool.(and Klingspor).

They sell Rhynogrip right? If so the quality of the discs is not near Festool or Mirka at least IMO.

Darcy Warner
01-16-2017, 4:52 PM
I have tried all sorts of sandpaper and I still keep going back to Festool's. Last forever and it's really only 30 to 70 cents per disc, depending on the paper you want.

Ben Abate
01-16-2017, 6:12 PM
Fellows could you explain the interface pad and why I would need one. I purchased some of the Mirka a few weeks ago to use with the pro 5 but have not used it. I was under the impression that the reason for using this product besides it is supposed to be a quality sanding product is because the air flows thru it. Does the interface pad help the Abranet stay in place?
I don't mean to high jack the thread. Just curious

thank you.

i read the eBay listing that you posted. I now understand the use of the interface pad. I would have thought the folks at Woodcraft would have know about the product they were selling. They were the ones to offer the Abranet over the FESTOOL paper as an alternative

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 6:15 PM
thank you.[/QUOTE]

It prevents you from wearing out the hooks on the sander pad, they are far cheaper than replacing the sander pads.

Robert Delhommer Sr
01-16-2017, 6:21 PM
Klingspors, their sand paper is good quality and their prices not bad. Very reasonable shipping.
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/?inMed=GSANDING&gclid=Cj0KEQiA-_HDBRD2lomhoufc1JkBEiQA0TVMmt43Xo0YDzd0tx-1XrEXylxTGMC5aJ7pquRd1dDIn38aAkgN8P8HAQ
That is where I get all my sanding disk, belts roll, all my sand paper.

Robert Delhommer Sr
01-16-2017, 6:26 PM
Do you still use the H&L Paper with the interface pad?

Jim Becker
01-16-2017, 7:59 PM
I also have been very pleased with the abrasive performance and life with the "real" Festool discs.

Marc Burt
01-16-2017, 8:15 PM
Just to pile on I'll throw in my two cents too. I have used a ton of Rhynogrit/Industrial Abrasives paper before Festool paper. I bought the 9 hole pattern for my festool sanders from them. It is excellent paper. Then I found a steal on a bunch of actual festool paper, which I had never used because I thought it was too pricey, and I agree with others here. It's worth it. I find it last longer than the IA stuff and the paper itself is thicker which I like. I also like that I can get the Festool papers quicker if I run out. Either from Amazon in two days or from Woodcraft the same day if I feel like driving.

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 8:24 PM
Do you still use the H&L Paper with the interface pad?

Yes. (10 characters)

mark mcfarlane
01-16-2017, 8:35 PM
I can't remember who it was, but someone on the internet sells a custom assortment of Festool grits, with something like 10-20 pieces per grit. Much cheaper than buying Qty=50 of everything.

peter gagliardi
01-16-2017, 8:52 PM
I use at least a few thousand dollars worth of discs per year, in a pro shop. I have been buying the Klingspor product since about 6 months after buying my festool sanders about 8-10 years. They are a much better value than the festool discs in my opinion

mreza Salav
01-16-2017, 9:44 PM
I didn't like Festool papers. 3M and Klingspor are good value. Abranet is my preferred one.

jack duren
01-16-2017, 9:49 PM
We use Klingspor at work also. I will use several brands at my shop but prefer VSM at around $65/100, but they don't sell to the public. Kilingspor salesman restocks the company each week were VSM won't, so Klingspor is in. http://us.vsmabrasives.com/ I think the Klingspor is $15/100...

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 10:17 PM
The only objective testing I have seen was in FWW maybe 5-6 years ago and Klingspor won pretty handily IIRC. Abranet (which again I love and prefer to all others) didn't do so well on value, it is very expensive and they did not test Festool, I suppose due to it only being available in their hole pattern. I think it was one of the 3M papers that was the most aggressive but even more expensive than Abranet.

Andy Giddings
01-17-2017, 12:16 AM
The best Festool material for woodworking and finishes I've found so far is their newish Granat range. Long lasting, never had it clog from a finish, just does the job

Larry Edgerton
01-17-2017, 7:11 AM
They sell Rhynogrip right? If so the quality of the discs is not near Festool or Mirka at least IMO.

I bought three boxes of this to try because it is so cheap. Not all bad, Does not load up terrible and sands well. I would say that you need to jump up one grit size, 320 instead of 220 for example as it seems a touch coarser than most, but overall at $14 for 50 not a bad buy. Have Klingspor as well and would make it and the Ryno about a draw.

I don't find the Festool paper to be all that much better than anything else myself so am not inclined to cut into my profit by using it.

What I would like to find is a 5 hole disk to fit the Festool 5" as I have cases of paper that is going unused. Hard to grab a sander that is inferior just to use up paper.

Larry Edgerton
01-17-2017, 7:25 AM
Kevin,

Jim

Thanks Jim. I just ordered some to try along with the pad adapters. Been going to try it for some time, but you made it so easy.

Bill Adamsen
01-17-2017, 9:52 AM
I can't remember who it was, but someone on the internet sells a custom assortment of Festool grits, with something like 10-20 pieces per grit. Much cheaper than buying Qty=50 of everything.

Mark, thanks it would be interesting to know that source if you stumble across it.

The jump from 10 pack to 50 pack (and rather high price) grit from Festool is one of my few complaints. Happened to be checking IA this morning (for PSA large discs) and noticed the Rhynogrip 50 pack is priced at about the same as the Festool 10 pack. That happens to be a very acceptable "spend amount" whereas the 50 pack Festool (for one grit) is a lot of money. Must say, I am happy with the Festool paper.

Jim Becker
01-17-2017, 9:58 AM
Bill, I do understand the angst that the difference between 10-packs and 50-packs brings with purchase cost. But I also know that it's not a frequent purchase and the stuff doesn't go stale. The 50-packs have actually worked out well for me and last for a very long time since I'm not a prolific project maker at present...and I'm just amortizing the cost over a longer period of time at a lower per-piece price.

Charles P. Wright
01-17-2017, 3:48 PM
I've read on festool owner's group that Bob Marino splits the 50 packs into 10 packs.

mark mcfarlane
01-18-2017, 2:21 PM
I've read on festool owner's group that Bob Marino splits the 50 packs into 10 packs.

+1. In a 2014 post on the FOG Bob said:

I haven't made an assortment, but ship the papers in whatever quantities customers request via email to me.

Bob

I've purchased most of my Festool stuff from Bob Marino. Free shipping to the lower 48, no sales tax except Ohio and New Jersey. Nice guy.

Larry Edgerton
01-18-2017, 6:42 PM
Abranet and adapters came today [Fast!] and I tried it on a few things as well as sanding out the first coat on some maple and ash doors. I think this will be my new favorite.

Thanks Jim, supplier was very efficient.

Sam Murdoch
01-18-2017, 7:00 PM
Huge Abranet Mesh fan here. Gave up on most of the Festool abrasives years ago. Larry, wait until you try the mesh on finishes - paint, lacquer, old varnish - yeah it will clog but still at 5 times (my estimate) a slower rate than anything else. 2Sand is my supplier. They've been great.

Van Huskey
01-18-2017, 7:21 PM
This thread got me to thinking about how varied people's opinions on abrasives are. I think later tonight I will start a poll, need to compile a list of options and prepare myself for everyone complaining I didn't include their favorite... I did "OTHER" now go tell the kids to get off your lawn!

Len Rosenberg
01-18-2017, 7:50 PM
I use only Festool Granat, and buy all my Festool tools and supplies from Bob Marino. He is super helpful and reliable. If you went to the expense of buying a Festool sander, my 2 cents you will get the best results using the paper they designed for it.

Van Huskey
01-18-2017, 7:56 PM
If you went to the expense of buying a Festool sander, my 2 cents you will get the best results using the paper they designed for it.

How are the Festool abrasives designed specifically for Festool sanders other than the hole pattern?

Len Rosenberg
01-18-2017, 8:27 PM
The hole pattern and the quality of the sanding paper.

Mike Heidrick
01-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Ill rip abranet or wear out the loop on the back of the abranet before I clog it with finish.

mreza Salav
01-18-2017, 10:32 PM
I use only Festool Granat, and buy all my Festool tools and supplies from Bob Marino. He is super helpful and reliable. If you went to the expense of buying a Festool sander, my 2 cents you will get the best results using the paper they designed for it.

What else have you compared them to? IMO they are not any better than avg sand paper. My cheaper (but still good value) ones are Klingspor and 3M and the best IMO is Abranet; it is actually best value as it lasts longer than it costs more vs the cheaper ones (except that I have bought 100's of other brands last time i ordered them so have lots to go through)...

Andy Giddings
01-18-2017, 10:41 PM
Mreza, I've tried most of the Mirka papers, Abranet etc and most of the grades that Festool has - Granat is (far) superior to avg sand paper, IMO :-)

mreza Salav
01-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Mreza, I've tried most of the Mirka papers, Abranet etc and most of the grades that Festool has - Granat is (far) superior to avg sand paper, IMO :-)

Ok, I probably wasn't fair to Granat to call them avg; my disappointment with Rubin tainted my view of their sand paper (including the better and more expensive Granat). Still I don't go to Festool anymore for them (on my Festool sanders)....

Van Huskey
01-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Most of the abrasives mentioned in the thread are upper tier and most of them see widespread use in commercial and industrial settings but they end up being like flavors of ice cream. None of the discs mentioned in the thread are average in the grand scheme but may be average in this tier so some of our opinions may sound hyperbolic since we are all talking about top tier abrasives.

Don Bullock
01-19-2017, 1:00 AM
I just buy the Festool discs from Bob. He's a great resource.

peter gagliardi
01-19-2017, 10:25 AM
I am willing to bet that Festool does not in fact make their own paper. I would guess they subcontract/private label from a company in Germany, such as Klingspor or VSM, or...
I have no proof, but.....

Mike Dowell
01-19-2017, 10:28 AM
Late to the party, but I can't say enough about Abranet discs. I use them on my Ceros, and Dewalt backup ROS. I buy them from 2sand.com. Cheapest price I've found.

Van Huskey
01-19-2017, 4:43 PM
I am willing to bet that Festool does not in fact make their own paper. I would guess they subcontract/private label from a company in Germany, such as Klingspor or VSM, or...

I have no proof, but.....

Discussed on FOG every once in a while with no proof (but no verification from Festool that it is...). Festool doesn't make all of their stuff by a long shot, nothing wrong with it as they aren't a huge multi-national like say Bosch (who has/does make things for them) and it doesn't mean their paper is not different in some or many ways.