PDA

View Full Version : Tool chest

Mario Brissette
10-11-2005, 1:24 PM
Hi everyone !

I'm new on this forum. I'm new on woodworking also. I'm doing woodworking for 2 years now.

Recently, I built a tool chest with 10 drawers. These drawers are small and the are built like this to store small tools like chisels, compas, rules, small saws, etc that are difficults to store in height in a shelf and just take small place in a cabinet.

The tool chest is made with yellow birch. The front of the drawers are made with bird's eye maple. The plug and drawers pulls are made with black walnut.

I finish it with danish oil.

http://membres.lycos.fr/diver23/image/coffre01.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/diver23/image/coffre02.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/diver23/image/coffre03.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/diver23/image/coffre04.jpg

Be lenient, this is one of my first woodworking project.

Guy Germaine
10-11-2005, 1:31 PM
Your FIRST project???? That's it...I quit!

Jay Kilpatrick
10-11-2005, 1:36 PM
Hide those horizontal dividers...stopped dados. But I really had to look to find something to change. So when you get around to building the improved model next week, just ship the current one to me, I'll even let you pay the shipping as a reward for my honesty.

Jay... anticipating new tool storage shortly; I won't hold my breadth!

Edited:
Duh... the dividers are actually the drawer runners/guides. So I must recant my above statement... glad I didn't hold my breath.

Don Baer
10-11-2005, 1:46 PM
Very nice work

Jeff Sudmeier
10-11-2005, 1:47 PM
Mario,

That tool chest looks great! I have been thinking of building something similar, I hope mine comes out just as nice!

Keith Burns
10-11-2005, 1:48 PM
Look, heres the deal...if you don't want to ship it to Jay, and I can understand why you wouldn't, send it to me. I would gladly accept it and even pay the freight. :D Seriously, that is a very nice chest. Great Job !

Mario Brissette
10-11-2005, 1:51 PM
Nice try guys !!! But I keep it ! :D

I forgot to say that the bottom of the drawers are made with 1/4 birch veneer. These bottom exceed the width of the drawers by 1/8 and they slide in a 1/8 groove. I put beewax on the exceeding part of the veneer, to improve the sliding.

Thanks for the comments !

For those who like this model, I took it on this book. You'll see the same model in the front page but in red oak.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/155870650X.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

John Miliunas
10-11-2005, 2:11 PM
That's one fine cabinet, Mario! Functional and beautiful!:) I love the way the Birch is virtually almost 3-D. Wonderful grain to it and the contrasting pegs are a nice touch. :) Oh, and I'm glad you're not letting these other guys talk you out of it! Tell them to build their own!:D :cool:

lou sansone
10-11-2005, 2:47 PM
welcome to the creek . real nice tool chest you have made. how long did it take and what are you going to line the drawers with.

lou

Mario Brissette
10-11-2005, 2:55 PM
Thanks Lou.

Unfortunately, I don't count the hours i spent in my workshop, it is always a pleasure to works there. It is a hobby. It took me about a month by the evenings and week-end to do the tool chest. I finish it 6 month ago. 9 drawers are already in use !

Dave Carey
10-11-2005, 3:09 PM
Mario,
Very nice job. I cut the plan down to three drawers, lined the drawers with felt and presented it as a jewelry case to my wife. It works. Dave

Dale Rodabaugh
10-11-2005, 3:39 PM
Very nice.And thats your first project???Looks great,I could find room for that in my shop.My first project was a workbrench which I still use.It is a very nice bench,but it didnt take anywhere near the skill to build that your tool cabinet did.Keep up the great work.:confused: :) :D :rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
10-11-2005, 4:01 PM
Mario, perhaps no one explained the rules but the first time you post a project you are expected to send it to some worthy member of SMC. :rolleyes: I am positive that I am next on the list....Like Keith I will pay the freight but unlike Keith, it is not his turn in the barrel....:p

Beautiful chest, an heirloom, I hope you marked it with your name and date for posterity.:D

Mario Brissette
10-11-2005, 4:08 PM
When I said it was my first project, I mean my first "real" project. I did before a furniture restauration (stripping, sanding, stain and finish), also some very small project that means just cut a board to dimension a make a molding with the router. Very easy project to learn how to use manual and power tools. But when we talk about furniture and chest, yes, this was my first serious project.:o

Thanks all for your comments. I'm finishing another project. I'm doing my own baby crib. I'll show you pictures when I'll finish it. My girlfirend is pregnant and have 33 weeks so I need to finish it as soon as I'm able !!! :eek:

Mario Brissette
10-11-2005, 4:11 PM
Mario, perhaps no one explained the rules but the first time you post a project you are expected to send it to some worthy member of SMC. :rolleyes:

No problems ! As I post here just pictures, I assume that you just want real pictures of my project. :D :p ;) For this small package, I can pay the shipping !!

:rolleyes:

Michael Stafford
10-11-2005, 4:35 PM
No problems ! As I post here just pictures, I assume that you just want real pictures of my project. :D :p ;) For this small package, I can pay the shipping !!

:rolleyes:

Great response... but I am disappointed in that I will only have pictures of a great tool chest not the great tool chest itself.....:D

Mario Brissette
10-11-2005, 4:39 PM
Did you realise that I give you the opportunity and the chance to build your own tool chest ? ;)

Gary Lange
10-11-2005, 6:45 PM
That is some fine craftsmanship Mario who are proud of your work I am sure and have every right to be. I can only hope that some day I will be showing as fine a piece as you have shown us.

Jason Tuinstra
10-11-2005, 7:19 PM
Mario, it look fantastic! I would never know this was your first project unless you fessed up to it like you did. It turned out great! I like how you used the b.e. maple for the drawer fronts. That sets it apart that much more. Welcome to SMC and be sure to post more of your great projects.

Bob Noles
10-11-2005, 7:47 PM
Great job Mario..... now when are you going to have mine ready? :D

Man.... I love the work you did on that thing and I'm drooling all over my keyboard.

Really very nice "first" (ha) project :)

Dan Forman
10-11-2005, 7:59 PM
Very nice work, first project or not!

Dan

Dan Larson
10-11-2005, 8:32 PM
Add me to the list of those who have tool chest envy-- great job!

Dan

Tom Hamilton
10-11-2005, 8:53 PM
Beautiful work Mario, welcome to the Creek. When you start taking orders for the tool chest please add my name to the list. Best regards, TJH

Mark Singer
10-11-2005, 9:11 PM
Beautiful chest! Very practicle design ....and welcome!

Pete Harbin
10-11-2005, 9:22 PM
Nicely done Mario! My Dad built one very simliar several years ago out of Red Oak. I'll have to ask where he got the plan.

Pete

John Renzetti
10-11-2005, 9:28 PM
Hi Mario, Little late on checking here. But great job on the tool chest. Excellent design and execution. I've been woodworking for a lot longer and still can't build something as nice as what you have in that tool chest.
Keep up the good work.
take care,
John

Mario Brissette
10-17-2005, 3:08 PM
Thanks Guys for the comments !

I'll post here some pictures of my new project, the crib. The crib is on the finishing step. You'll see it soon !

Frank Pellow
10-17-2005, 5:47 PM
Lienency is certainly not needed. That's a GREAT result for someone's 100th project, let alone one of their first projects. Well done, Mario!

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-17-2005, 6:53 PM
That's a wonderful piece..........................JUST ANOTHER REASON I only TURN wood!

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2005, 7:38 PM
Nice chest Mario! I like your choices of wood and finish! Welcome to the Creek.