PDA

View Full Version : Power Tool Work Bench

Rich Riddle
01-14-2017, 5:42 PM
Do any of you have a workbench you use when using power tools? I have seen all these intricate Neanderthal types of benches but really don't need something that substantial for the garage or farm. What do you folks use that doesn't look like a piece of pristine furniture in your functional shop?

Van Huskey
01-14-2017, 6:02 PM
My next power tool workbench will take lots of clues from the Holzwerken Ultimate bench. I will use the UJK Parf guide system to drill a 96mm grid with 20mm holes to use Festool accessories on one side and standard 3/4" dog holes on the other with a tail and side vice for handtool work. It will also double as a assembly table. I know it makes the bench too wide for the handtool crowd but I think it will work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cepg2DAkKQE

jack duren
01-14-2017, 6:16 PM
I use a simple bench...

Nick Decker
01-14-2017, 6:25 PM
My next power tool workbench will take lots of clues from the Holzwerken Ultimate bench. I will use the UJK Parf guide system to drill a 96mm grid with 20mm holes to use Festool accessories on one side and standard 3/4" dog holes on the other with a tail and side vice for handtool work. It will also double as a assembly table. I know it makes the bench too wide for the handtool crowd but I think it will work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cepg2DAkKQE

Very cool, and from the side it kinda looks like a really nice foosball table!

Rich Riddle
01-14-2017, 6:50 PM
Jack,

Is there a bench in that picture?
I use a simple bench...

Rich Riddle
01-14-2017, 7:00 PM
Van,

That's one heck of a bench, but I'm having difficulty understanding their English. It looks like you can download the plans....

Steve Jenkins
01-14-2017, 7:05 PM
My main work table is a 4x8 torsion box about 4" thick that sits on sawhorses. I have several others in various widths for different things. They typically live on edge in a corner of the shop until needed

Rich Riddle
01-14-2017, 7:16 PM
Steve,

My bench can look a lot like Jack's bench, but it does get entirely cleaned a couple times a week. Having it on edge in a corner until used would mean putting it up every day. These days it sees far more tinkiering and carpentry than woodworking. A torsion box seems good. The one in Van's link was similar to that in some ways.

Joe Bradshaw
01-14-2017, 7:19 PM
I use a solid core door with a frame built from doubled up 2 x 4's.
Joe

Van Huskey
01-14-2017, 7:36 PM
Van,

That's one heck of a bench, but I'm having difficulty understanding their English. It looks like you can download the plans....

Yeah, I think they must be from north of the Mason Dixon 'cause it ain't my English. I have the plans or more specifically the two magazines the article and plans were in. The metric I could handle but had to spend a lot of time with google translate to understand some of the specifics of construction. I found it interesting he used so much Lee Valley stuff.

Jim Dwight
01-14-2017, 8:32 PM
I do not yet have a hand tool bench. My outfeed table/workbench was inspired by Ron Paulk's workbenches. I bought some of his plans for the ideas. My workbench is 3 feet by 7 feet and has a two layer top of 3/4 plywood separated 8 inches by spacers. The top surface is bored with 20mm holes using a special router base and pegboard on 4 inch centers. I use this with a lattice of 1x2s for cutting up sheet goods with my track saw. But I also do assembly on it. I have jigs that reference off the 20mm holes and establish 90 degree angles which are very useful for glueup. The attach with wing nuts making them pretty solid, good enough to put cabinet pieces against during assembly. I have some Grizzly track saw clamps I insert through the holes to hold pieces down. It rolls around on 6 totally locking casters. I am very happy with this worksurface but will probably add a small "new fangled workbench" for hand tools.

Eric Schmid
01-14-2017, 9:06 PM
I use a pair of torsion beams most of the time. There a lots of variations, but mine are about 5" x 9" x 8' long. They get placed on a couple of saw horses. When not in use they get hung off a post in the shop.

These are useful for just about every aspect of woodworking; hand tools, power tools, assembly, etc. I built mine about 8 years ago and they are still flat. A year or two ago I flipped the MDF skins to expose fresh surfaces.

There are a few things I really like about this set up; it's mobile, easy to make, stays flat, lots of clamping options, and versatile. It's easy to change bench heights, place them close together or far apart to suit the various tasks.

Steve Jenkins
01-15-2017, 8:59 AM
Steve,

My bench can look a lot like Jack's bench, but it does get entirely cleaned a couple times a week. Having it on edge in a corner until used would mean putting it up every day. These days it sees far more tinkiering and carpentry than woodworking. A torsion box seems good. The one in Van's link was similar to that in some ways.
Actually the 4x8 stays on the sawhorses all the time. It's the others that I set up as needed

jack duren
01-15-2017, 9:34 AM
My benches at work....

Richard Young
01-15-2017, 9:41 AM
Joe

This is what i have used for my bench for over 20 years now and has been great. It is solid and flat, been worked on and beat on and still works well. I have looked into building a traditional bench several times but just never have, been pleased wth this one.

jack duren
01-15-2017, 10:45 AM
This is what i have used for my bench for over 20 years now and has been great. It is solid and flat, been worked on and beat on and still works well. I have looked into building a traditional bench several times but just never have, been pleased wth this one.

Why a traditional work bench?

Jim Becker
01-15-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure I can really delineate what a "power tool" workbench is. To me, it's just a workbench and in that respect, it should address your personal needs relative to size, height (or adjustable height as mine is) and clamping/fastening needs for the kinds of projects you do. My bench top is 30" x 60" and maple, flat and large, and has dog holes that permit use of traditional hold-downs and other things that are convenient for assembly, etc. I have one side vice, too. I mostly use "power tools" but not exclusively. I use the tool that's best for the given need. While I do a lot of assembly "on the bench", I also have various other ways of supporting projects available...even with the adjustable bench height I have, it's convenient and necessary to sometimes work on multiple surfaces/supports.

So consider what your own needs are (and the space you have available) as you decide what your bench needs to be to address what you want to use it for.

Jamie Buxton
01-15-2017, 12:12 PM
My current bench is the third I built, and this one has been unchanged for over thirty years. I'd call it more a power tool bench than a hand tool bench, although I use both. It is 72" by 20"; that's big enough to do real work on, but small enough to not consume a one-car garage. It is the same height as a Unisaw -- 34" IIRC. The top is four layers of 3/4" construction plywood, supported every 22", so it is very sturdy. I can pound on it, or stand on it. I was quite careful to make the top flat as I fastened those layers together. Flatness is important in cutting joints, and assembling stuff. The top layer projects an inch beyond the lower layers on all sides, for easy clamping. Below the top is lots of drawers for tools storage -- shallow ones at the top for small tools, and big ones at the bottom for big ones like routers and circular saws. It has a steel end vise, and dog holes the length of the bench. It has a power strip on each end of the bench.

Van Huskey
01-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Why a traditional work bench?

Probably partially it is considered a right of passage by primarily hand tool users. It is also a way to appreciate the history and insight for hundreds of years of handtool masters.

On the question of how a power tool bench differs, I have seen a lot of benches over the years that were immediately recognizable as being for power tool use

built in power outlets
Built in dust extraction
sections of downdraft tables
overhead arms for vacuum hoses
built in router tables
and simply being wider than most traditional hand tool benches (though hand tool benches have gotten "fat" these days

Many people use simple benches that have no real distinction as a power tool bench but I think Rich is wanting ideas for bench features that lend themselves to more efficient power tool use over a plain or hand tool specific bench. While most all benches are simply horizontal surfaces just like most all cars have 4 tires and a steering wheel but some cars are better on the track, some better for taking a 1,500 mile road trip and some better for parking in a big city.

John TenEyck
01-15-2017, 1:05 PM
I tell myself I'm going to build an upgraded work bench every year, but I still use this one most of time that I first built 30 years ago.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2_iHECL3RIvJ5epYLI3C4-GEqiibxhn7vRqsQi6sXGmmCf9TbL97YzVY6D-NSx7HwYOBPUtf0Vvhkk18l1iif8Q-uPupI_S-NzbPZV_EB9e0_ZgF-iFaIx54qu2YpZHVf1XSyLH3khyr4Hk4KZMg3y9w_azaJ1yGcMS 2hvveypA4_QwoM9vxZTbYQSFKEmrwV-cjXxjMDhf0jbqh7am1SRPu9L5Q4Kn11DYl_XgqcBENcCkGRyAj PBOob2gFT6rxkUBLO7ayJRlDyCNBWj6zzuI_Wt5ULjUNw3j4qv Ukvf1PuszmQHi_8DTefKEEHpG97IBqy2QCPqHcTz-GJOC9ONFrClytSI1acIpY8mYY8y6rMiV6T4IL-NSnnUS3CWLP5mkBUc-u7_gTAyCX-6IYWEHZ3x36NFCoInUwn4qV04VjUBHr7F8h7hIt3itlGP_uSYF ICzX4SsxFRD21Qj9mE2mRaLhy79INyPrHmGNxqONiGSfvghbHC JXZAgDifppQHiMo1TLIJVJeLEjVHYD1YFYmWfc4cAHJf-baFFNy6m6Bg6fufMqKYxkeqyJ1oZEhK-_kFN2a9OslIQAC7bTMVeriz8xHjWEQW7WMcYC5B2CIoTRr10aB M-GBjYBm_g0gw8HvVznibVj7VlJfDUnIp4w1FEcehn1xE_ZLOJL0 GZg=w838-h628-no

It's made with a 30" x 8' long x about 1-3/4" thick maple lab benchtop that I got for free, flattened, and skinned with 1/8" Masonite that's just tacked on so I can replace it when it gets all dinged up/slopped up, etc. Key to me, this bench is dead flat. It sits on a too flimsy 2 x 4 base, its only apology, and the main reason I intend to replace it - or so I have said for all these years. The lower shelf holds many of my frequently used hand power tools, glue, clamps, etc. There is a metal working vise at one end buy no wood vise; just never needed one. I have a Euro bench just out of sight when I need that capability. I recently added 6" at the back of this bench for a large door project, but I'll unbolt that when I'm done. This bench serves not only as a work bench but also as the outfeed for my tablesaw, just to the left. I set a piece of plywood between the saw and the bench, which rests on the ledger you see. When not needed, that piece of plywood hangs out of the way on the back of this bench so I can walk between the bench and TS.

John

Joe A Faulkner
01-15-2017, 1:09 PM
I salvaged a 30" x 60" desktop from the church dumpster and threw it across a frame built using 2x6 and 4x4 construction grade lumber. The frame is mortise and tenoned and used draw bores to pull it together. Slapped on a second hand 7" Wilton quick release vise. It serves as the outfeed table on my table saw and useful assembly bench for whatever, including building a more traditional handtool workbench. Used T nuts and 3/4" bolts for a cheap leveling solution. The top withstands glue, stain, oil and stays "flat enough" for what its for. I've been known to dumpster dive on more than one occasion. Hate to see useful materials go to the dump.

jack duren
01-15-2017, 2:21 PM
This is the best I can do as I have been cleaning it the last 3 weekends. Shop has been sitting for several years now and trying to restart it back up. On the back side there are actually drawers in the black area without knobs....

jack duren
01-15-2017, 2:28 PM
These are the benches I use at work..

Warren Lake
01-15-2017, 3:33 PM
your benches they look solid, I had home made solid door with two record vises for years and they were okay metal adjustable legs. Then got a used Ulima night and day. first time using the bench dogs was excellent and the bench was solid and didnt move. Still however designed it didnt get it drawers are poorly made and the top cant float enough and warps up high in the center pretty dissapointing planed it a few times and wont anymore will just rebuild it so it can move, Silly drawer bottoms solid and not allowed to move. and the bottom rails are on a bolt instead of a threaded rod from end to end, bolt head not in far enough broken when I got it. Geez?

Your side grain is upside down in the first photo.

Brian Henderson
01-15-2017, 3:45 PM
Joe

Same here for one of my benches, although I have 4x4 legs that make it rock solid. The top is covered with hardboard, which is easily replaceable and I've been using it for about 17 years now without a hitch.

Rich Riddle
01-15-2017, 4:36 PM
On a side note, I am always humored by people who obviously dig some old piece of junk bench or table out of the trash and try to sell it for thousands of dollars as a vintage workbench. It's amazing how many people think others didn't sit behind the same chemistry table during high school days.

Van Huskey
01-15-2017, 5:00 PM
On a side note, I am always humored by people who obviously dig some old piece of junk bench or table out of the trash and try to sell it for thousands of dollars as a vintage workbench. It's amazing how many people think others didn't sit behind the same chemistry table during high school days.

But, but the great great grandson of Andre' Roubo built that chemistry table!

Joe Calhoon
01-15-2017, 7:32 PM
Not a power tool work bench but I guess mine could be described as a traditional euro bench modified a bit for power tools. I built this almost 30 years ago and it has served well. The sliding jack board is good for holding workpieces on edge. I just added fixtures to hold Mac's clamps off the sliding saw. The posts remove quickly. The front vise never worked very well and had no time to rework it but spent 4 hours overhauling the vice and making a new handle recently. Its better but hope to replace it with a new vice sometime. We use the bench mostly for hanging and hardwaring doors. With the air clamps it is great for Domino work.

If I were building new I would go with a modern Euro bench similar to what Van shows.

I need to scrape the top and re oil.

Mike Heidrick
01-15-2017, 10:49 PM
This is my new outfeed table but i like it for now. Its a 28x64x29 kreg stand on the kreg casters with three of their tables i had been collecting and a long kreg track and three shorter pieces of track. One is really short to make room for my miter gauge slot. Pic shows attaching a french cleat to a sign for my slatwall. The table is due to get a vise and some storage below.

I am also building a "real bench" but this one was done a avery short time and mostly by my girls.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/Mikiespace%20365/IMG_20170103_215256_zpsb2svcx4s.jpg