PDA

View Full Version : ? for Drum Sander owners

Bob Wilkerson
06-20-2003, 12:12 AM
Ok, this may sound a bit foolish but does it make any difference which direction that you wrap the velcro and sandpaper on? I just got my new to me Woodmaster 2675 sander wired up with a magnetic starter and remote start/stop switch. I then put on the velcro to replace the worn out one when I realized that I followed the instructions but from the wrong side of the machine..... Does it make any difference as long as I tape the leading edge or not?

I'd hate to have to replace the velcro but I guess I'd rather invest another $30 if necessary. Being the bottom feeder that I am I hate to waste money. Ok, gloat time: $35 for the new 5hp magnetic starter, $8 for the remote start/stop switch, $15 for wire, $30 for velcro brings me up to a total investment of $288 for a running Woodmaster that came with 7 rolls of paper. Not too bad, eh?

Now all I need to do is to get the 30A circuit wired in the shop this weekend so I can start using it! YeHAAA!

Bob

Steve Clardy
06-20-2003, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't think that the velcro being wrapped wrong would be too critical, as long as you wrap the paper on right. Are you using sticky back velcro? My velcro sticks on the drums as you wrap it on. No tape on ends. Just tape on one end of the paper after it is wrapped on the velcro. Steve

Bruce Page
06-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Bob, because of the way the clips are mounted on my Delta 18/36, you can only mount the paper one way - the paper spirals from left to right when standing at the infeed side of the machine. When I look at the drum from the outfeed side of the machine, I can’t see why it would make any difference, which way the spiral went. The paper itself does not have any directional marking on it.
I suggest that you just give it a try; the worst that can happen is that you blow the sanding belt and that will happen occasionally anyway.

This project is so important, we can’t let things that are more important interfere with it. -- Attributed to a United Parcel Service advertising/marketing manager

Jerry Todd
06-20-2003, 12:44 PM
Bob, I am looking at the same drum sander. Please post some comments after you get it fired up.
Jerry

Bob Wilkerson
06-20-2003, 9:48 PM
Steve: The velcro is the type with the adhesive so I tend to agree that it should not be a problem. Don't know whether the paper direction will matter as I now see that Woodmaster offers a reversing switch on the newer machines.

Bruce: I guess that I'll just tape the one end that points into the normal sanding direction and see what happens. Worst case would be the need to wrap the paper the other way. I can see that it would be a really different problem if it was clipped on rather than velcro'd like mine.

Jerry: I'll let you know how it works as soon as I get the new circuit in.

At this point I've just cleaned it up and fixed the one post that had gotten damaged by the previous owner. Eventually I’ll need to repaint it to bring it up to snuff. The one thing I didn't like about my machine was the way it was wired using a manual start/stop switch. So I went an installed a new magnetic motor starter underneath the bed with a remote switch where the old one was. When I get a chance I'll take some pictures and detail the rewiring that I did to get it up to the point that I think Woodmaster should have done in the first place.

Bob - getting ready to tackle the wiring tomorrow