PDA

View Full Version : Logs to Lumber

George Bledsoe
10-11-2005, 12:20 PM
I was running low on red oak (well not really but that is what I tell my wife)
So I thought I better get some cut up and start the air drying process.
First step getting the log to and on the mill (That is the tough part)
Then find the best face of the log
Next make an opening cut, flip and make another.
flip the log again and make the third cut and then make the final cut to create the cant.
Then start cutting out homemade oak lumber:D
It is a fair amount of work but it is usually well worth it.
The best part is knowing you made the lumber that you use on a project.

Todd Burch
10-11-2005, 12:42 PM
You no dummy. You leave the cut boards in place on the cant while you are still sawing the rest. Makes sawing go faster. I'm guessing that's a Norwood? How do you approach and solve the log handing issue?

Todd

(Edit: And..... what do you do with the waste?)

George Bledsoe
10-11-2005, 12:54 PM
That is by far the hardest part of the logs to lumber process.
I have a small logging arch to pick up the logs, I move them next to the saw and use a manual winch to roll them up a couple of ramps.
Turning is normally done with a cant hook and upper body strength:D
On the real big boys I will use the winch to turn them
I workout at the sawmillers gym:D

I just finished this hope chest out of oak I milled, I left the knot in the front as I thought I might put a lock on the cheat and use the knot for a small key hole. Plus I liked the look of it.

It is something that sort of gets in your blood......
It makes you appreciate the modern life we alll have.

Charles McKinley
10-12-2005, 7:39 PM
Hi George,

Can you post a picture of your log arch? I'm thinking of buildoing one and am looking for ideas.

Thanks

George Bledsoe
10-13-2005, 10:07 AM
This is what I use to skid logs to my mill. It is primitive I suppose but those tires are 13" so you can kind of see that it can handle a pretty big log. I know it will hold a 28" 10' long white oak log which is around 2700 lbs. I works and I guess that is what counts I may even paint it one of these days:D

George Bledsoe
10-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Todd

I think that may be the second biggest problem with a sawmill. They generate a ton literally of waste, I use some in my fireplace, some I give away and the rest I burn in a big pile and probably contribute to global warming:eek:

lou sansone
10-13-2005, 10:58 AM
hi george
i have a norwood too. nice saw, but like you said, getting the log on the mill is the worst part of it. we use a bulldozer with a 4 in 1 bucket to load, but it is sort of a pain .

lou

George Bledsoe
10-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Here is how I handled the really big logs. If I can get them next to the mill I can get them on the saw using this setup.

lou sansone
10-13-2005, 11:55 AM
looks like you just run the cable right around the log and that helps to roll it up the ramp. does the cable ever get messed up ? looks like that log has a little butt rot. is it walnut?
lou

George Bledsoe
10-13-2005, 2:21 PM
As long as the cable is in the middle of the log it will work wonderfully, if the cable is off center the log will have a harder time starting off. I would say 9 times out of 10 it works great the one time it may take a little thought usually a log with a big butt end or with a big v crotch. The log is red oak and had a little butt rot but was about 11' long so it was bucked to account for that. The norwood is a good solid starter mill and I enjoy mine, someday I have an idea to add something along the lines of this to it....