PDA

View Full Version : Rockford #8 Jointer Plane

Matt Evans
01-14-2017, 9:41 AM
Picked up a Rockford Lakeside #8 Jointer plane a while back. Had a bit of time recently between other projects and got it all sorted out. Then, I had to rearrange my plane till to accommodate it. More of a pain than I had thought. Ended up having to move every single item in the whole till.

The Till needed rearranged and cleaned anyway, and I am still modifying it. (Also rearranging the shop)

Still, makes a sweet jointer! I'm still adding coats of shellac to the knob and tote, but aside from that she's all done. Planed a piece of hard maple with lots of grain direction changes smooth as silk.

daniel lane
01-14-2017, 10:10 AM
That thing is a monster! Looks like it cleaned up nicely and will make a great addition to the till. Nice!

lowell holmes
01-14-2017, 10:25 AM
How long is it?

My 607 is a monster. I seldom use it. I have a 5 1/2 Bailey I use a lot. It is almost as long as a no 6.

I have an old #6 that never gets used. I don't know why I have it. It is a post war model.

Jim Koepke
01-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Looks good to go Matt.

Do the pieces in your plane till slide in a slot to adjust to the plane size?

jtk

Bill Houghton
01-14-2017, 11:46 AM
You'll either feel like a successful weightlifter or a 98-pound weakling after an afternoon of using that critter. I love mine, but I sure have to eat my Wheaties in the morning before it use it!

lowell holmes
01-14-2017, 1:26 PM
I was curious about Rockford planes. That is the house name for Montgomery Wards back in the day. Are there any "Monkey Wards" stores left?

Tony Wilkins
01-14-2017, 2:01 PM
I was curious about Rockford planes. That is the house name for Montgomery Wards back in the day. Are there any "Monkey Wards" stores left?

Nope. They went under about Y2k; used to shop at them a lot.

Matt Evans
01-15-2017, 12:36 AM
How long is it?

My 607 is a monster. I seldom use it. I have a 5 1/2 Bailey I use a lot. It is almost as long as a no 6.

I have an old #6 that never gets used. I don't know why I have it. It is a post war model.

24" long, but a lot wider than I thought it would be, 3 1/8 or so.

Looks good to go Matt.

Do the pieces in your plane till slide in a slot to adjust to the plane size?

jtk

Yep.

You'll either feel like a successful weightlifter or a 98-pound weakling after an afternoon of using that critter. I love mine, but I sure have to eat my Wheaties in the morning before it use it!

Hey, us wiry folk can still use the heavy stuff. I typically only weigh between 125-135 depending on the season.

I use my 6 and 7 mostly anyhow, so this isn't that much different. I'll likely use it quite a bit. Table tops, Panel glueups and benchtops. The bigger the plane, the better as far as I am concerned when doing those. I really want to get a infill jointer eventually. I like the heavy planes.