PDA

View Full Version : What is Firefox? Is it any better than IE?

Bob Weisner
10-11-2005, 11:26 AM
Hi:

I have been seeing that there are some members using a program called FIREFOX. What is it ? What are the differences between that and IE? What are the disadvantages of the program?

Thanks.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Bob,

Firefox is a Mozilla based product. The same technology that was at the core of Netscape years ago, I don't know what Netscape is based on now.

Personally I really like Firefox. I use it for most of my personal web surfing at home. Unfortunately in my line of work I must use the most popular brower, because that is what our customers use, IE!! :)

One of the main advantages of Firefox is that it is only about 5% of users, maybe a little more, so the hackers tend to leave it alone. They tend to go after the higher user base of IE more. Although, I have heard that some have been going after Firefox as well.

Andrew Ault
10-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Firefox is a web browser, just as Internet Explorer is a web browser.

It has more features than IE. For example, webpages can be opened into multiple tabs with a row of tabs across the tops of the window allowing the user to quickly switch between different pages in one window. This is handy when doing research or when referring to multiple pages. Tab sets can be saved, so one could open a tab set for favorite woodworking sites in one step.

Another handy feature is pop-up blocking. Since Firefox is updated often, as programmers find ways to open unwanted windows, the Firefox community updates the program to avoid this annoyance.

Another feature I like is a built-in search function. It allows you to select the various search engines that you like to use. For example, I use Google alot and also search the big auction site and many other sites. It's flexible and easy to use.

In general, Firefox has fewer security issues compared to IE. This is because Firefox is updated more often and because it is targeted by malicious programmers less often.

Firefox is open source software. It does not belong to a company. It is maintained and improved by people all over the world that are interested in having a great web browser. Since it is not owned by a company, it is not a vehicle for proprietary software that might gather data about you, show you things you don't want to see, force updates that you don't understand or don't want or anything else that a commercial provider might do. This does not mean that commercial software is bad or evil, just that they have commercial motivations that may not be in line with your needs or wants. It's a non-commercial alternative.

Not every site works well with Firefox. Most site work as well or better than IE, but some sites specifically require IE for commercial (or other) reasons. On the other hand, many sites work better with Firefox. It is practical to have both browsers. Most of the time, Firefox is a little more pleasant to use.

Firefox is easy to keep updated. There's a little red update button in the upper right-hand corner that checks what is available, informs you of the choices and allows installation of updates for the browser and plug-ins.

Firefox runs on multiple platforms. I use Windows at work. My wife uses Windows at home. My workbench computer uses Linux. We plan to switch to Apple OSX in the future and we'll still be using Firefox.

I prefer open source software because:

1. It is updated frequently and is often of very high quality. Ever notice that IE doesn't behave consistently? How (and why) do they do that?

2. Frugality.

3. There is a temptation to cheat and not pay for commercial software. I like to live honestly for a variety of very selfish reasons. This does not relate as much for a web browser, but for things like office software (Open Office), FTP clients (FileZilla) and other things, it does.

4. It is fun to use software made by people motivated by joy and pride.

5. Did I mention the frugality bit?

It is pretty pain free to try Firefox. Just download and install it. Try it. If you don't like it, remove it. It removes easily and cleanly. There are no tricks or sneakiness involved.

- Andy

Doug Jones
10-11-2005, 12:07 PM
I just recently changed over to Firefox from IE. I like what I have seen and done so far with it. Doesn't seem to use as much system resources like IE does. Plus you have the "Extensions" that you can download to help customize Firefox.

Here is the link to the question I asked a few days back.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24559&highlight=firefox

Andrew Ault
10-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Jeff,

Firefox is a complete rewrite that no longers uses any of the old Netscape code.

Netscape is based on Firefox now.

- Andy

Chuck Wintle
10-11-2005, 5:33 PM
anyone know when Internet Explorer 7 will make an appearance? MS said late summer early fall but I have seen nothing yet.

Andrew Ault
10-11-2005, 5:51 PM
IE 7 is in Beta 1 testing right now. The release of Beta 2 testing has not been announced yet.

The release date of the product will be announced during Beta 2 testing if history holds true.

- Andy

Dan Mages
10-11-2005, 8:45 PM
Another major feature with Firefox is the availability of extensions to the program. For example, I run an extension called NoScript which prevents
websites from running scripts (which can be malicious) from running unless I give it permission. I also have a built in connection speed tester and a weather bar. The search bar is also customizable so you can add sites like UPS, Wikipedia, IMDB, and many others.

Good luck

Dan

Elliott Cameron
10-18-2005, 9:49 PM
anyone know when Internet Explorer 7 will make an appearance? MS said late summer early fall but I have seen nothing yet. Dunno...DON"T CARE !! Firefox user !

Curt Harms
10-19-2005, 7:47 PM
who works network security. You can find the original post over at wood central. It gave me a good chuckle. MODS:Hope it's OK to copy from another site. If not, please feel free to remove this post.

Curt

Subject: Re: OT: Internet Exploder
Posted By: Greg Sloop, Portland Oregon gregs@sloop.net
Date: Tuesday, 16 August 2005, at 3:25 a.m.
In Response To: Re: OT: Internet Exploder (Robert R. Clough - Thorncraft)

Yeah, we'll get a "me too" IE7...

…along with all the nasty bugs that make using IE as dangerous as walking around in the skank part of town conspicuously carrying an IPod, $5000 in small bills, wearing $250 Nikes, and hauling a five kilo stash of coke in a clear plastic bag while shouting racial epithets and a sign on your back saying "Shoot Me, I'm an Idiot."

Uh, "No thanks" says I. I’ll keep using Firefox.

Cheers,
Greg