PDA

View Full Version : Do You See What I See

Jim Koepke
01-13-2017, 6:25 PM
I was just looking through my ebay search results on molding planes when a rabbet plane that had some brass looking channel bolted on caught my eye. Kind of a shlock job, but one of the links in the item description led to item #222377132292. This looks to be a small bench plane with the front and rear sawn off.

To me from Florida the shipping is listed at $23.xx with a starting bid of $9. Quite a bit for a broken piece of rust that might not have any good parts. Looking a little closer something caught my eye.

Can anyone guess what model number this plane may be?

There is at least one question to ask the seller before bidding.

jtk

Stew Denton
01-13-2017, 7:16 PM
Jim,

Are you thinking someone went after a plane with a hacksaw and a file? I don't see model numbers on it, which you would expect to see on it, unless it was on the toe of the plane, and someone sawed it off. Also, it has a later lever cap, but does not have a frog adjusting screw, so that the plane body has to be much earlier than the lever cap.

Thus, it looks like bobbed off frankenplane. Or, am I missing something obvious?

What are your thoughts? The question is.......why?

Stew

Stewie Simpson
01-13-2017, 7:34 PM
The adjuster is locked in, with no more available inward travel..

Jim Koepke
01-13-2017, 9:33 PM
Also, it has a later lever cap, but does not have a frog adjusting screw, so that the plane body has to be much earlier than the lever cap.

I have a feeling that is the correct lever cap for the plane's body.

The knurled rings on the adjuster is what first caught my eye.

jtk

Stu Gillard
01-14-2017, 12:59 AM
No frog adjusting bolt.
Two knurlings on the adjuster.
No front bolt on the handle.

Looks like a cut down number 2 to me.

Edit: The tote, lever cap, cap iron, iron, frog and adjuster are worth more than the asking price I would think.

Jim Koepke
01-14-2017, 1:36 AM
No frog adjusting bolt.
Two knurlings on the adjuster.
No front bolt on the handle.

Looks like a cut down number 2 to me.

Edit: The tote, lever cap, cap iron, iron, frog and adjuster are worth more than the asking price I would think.

Bingo!

jtk

Stu Gillard
01-14-2017, 1:59 AM
Bingo!

jtk

If it was in Australia, I would snap it up ��

Jim Koepke
01-14-2017, 2:09 AM
If it was in Australia, I would snap it up ��

My thoughts were along those lines, but so much else is going on, another item on the to do list isn't for me at this time.

jtk