PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic to wood

Bert Kemp
01-13-2017, 5:48 PM
I have to glue or screw a piece of acrylic to a finished wood plaque. If I decide to glue will weld on epoxy metal to metal be ok because I have that on hand and should I rough up the surface of the fininish? If I decide to screw it or attach it with something other then brass wood screws what would you recommend.

Bill George
01-13-2017, 7:41 PM
The only thing I can offer is if your acrylic is clear and I am sure it is, any glue you use will be visible unless its in a frame. I would go with brass screws if it was my project.

John Lifer
01-13-2017, 7:46 PM
I ran across a piece of acrylic that had some epoxy on it just today. It had held decently for a few years. But I'd rather see some screws in the corners. That would be more permanent than glue

Bert Kemp
01-13-2017, 8:50 PM
Nope actually its Brown solid color acrylic. But I think I'll not glue it, but I really don't like the looks of screws in the corners, is there something else that doesn't look so bad.

The only thing I can offer is if your acrylic is clear and I am sure it is, any glue you use will be visible unless its in a frame. I would go with brass screws if it was my project.

Tony Lenkic
01-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Bert,

Here are some options........decorative nails

http://php.jdsindustries.com/JDS_SITE/site1.php?SEARCH_TERM=nails&SITE=SEARCH&D1ID=SEARCH&start=1&end=10

Kev Williams
01-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Go to Lowes, buy this. It's perfect for what you're doing. And it is virtually crystal clear.
And strong, I've used it on 2-piece glass awards. Everyone I gotten to try it loves it.

Bert Kemp
01-13-2017, 11:08 PM
Thats an Idea I'll look into that

Bert,

Here are some options........decorative nails

http://php.jdsindustries.com/JDS_SITE/site1.php?SEARCH_TERM=nails&SITE=SEARCH&D1ID=SEARCH&start=1&end=10

Ross Moshinsky
01-14-2017, 12:41 AM
Why not double sided tape? I'd consider that an industry standard.

Bert Kemp
01-14-2017, 12:47 AM
I've never used it. Will it hold it together for years hanging on a wall?

Why not double sided tape? I'd consider that an industry standard.

Kev Williams
01-14-2017, 2:03 AM
I've never used it. Will it hold it together for years hanging on a wall?
I was thinking you're attaching an "emblem" sort of thing to the wood-- if you're just wanting to stick a plastic plate to a wood plaque, then YES on the double backed tape!

but get the best, there's nothing better than this stuff--
http://www.brontapes.com/product/bt-3869-double-coated-pvc-tape/

if you want, I can send you a few yards to try out, I have plenty of 7/8" wide on hand --

Mike Null
01-14-2017, 7:23 AM
I'm with Ross, engravers tape, the best quality is what I'd use. I've used it on more plaques than I can count and it's never failed.

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/tesa-tuff-tape-1-2-x-36yd-009-adhesive-transfer-tape

Bert Kemp
01-14-2017, 9:20 AM
Thanks Kev but this is probably a 1 time thing. I making this for a friend in NH. The acrylic is 6" x 8" and thats all I'd need to do this.

I was thinking you're attaching an "emblem" sort of thing to the wood-- if you're just wanting to stick a plastic plate to a wood plaque, then YES on the double backed tape!

but get the best, there's nothing better than this stuff--
http://www.brontapes.com/product/bt-3869-double-coated-pvc-tape/

if you want, I can send you a few yards to try out, I have plenty of 7/8" wide on hand --

Lee DeRaud
01-14-2017, 10:52 AM
I've never used it. Will it hold it together for years hanging on a wall?3M auto trim tape will hold for years under much harsher conditions than anything that plaque could survive.

Kev Williams
01-14-2017, 12:56 PM
I'm with Ross, engravers tape, the best quality is what I'd use. I've used it on more plaques than I can count and it's never failed.

http://www.johnsonplastics.com/tesa-tuff-tape-1-2-x-36yd-009-adhesive-transfer-tape

--Same tape as the Bron, and it wouldn't surprise me if Bron supplies it-- Just wondering why Johnson calls it 'transfer' tape, because that's NOT what it is...

David Somers
01-14-2017, 2:07 PM
I agree about a high quality DS tape. Especially if you are not interested in having a gap between the plaque material and the wood.
Kev....I had seen the Go2 glue before but assumed it was another variant of CA glue, which I buy in 16oz bottles for woodturning. I just looked it up and it is interesting stuff. Will check it out. Thanks for mentioning it.
I might add, that after watching some reviews and tests of it it seemed quite good on some materials, and OK or modestly effective on others. Glass and ceramic seemed to be strong points. That is what I would expect from any adhesive. Great on some materials, and modest to ineffective on others. Of course, none of the tests I saw covered age and resistance over time to solvents and moisture and drying out. But it is not expensive and worth playing with.

Bert....one other thought to add to your list of possibilities. If you DO want a gap between the plaque material and the wood you might also look at standoff fixtures. You can get them from most shops that carry acrylics, though I havent noticed them at the box stores. They are very attractive and give you the strength and durability of screws without anything showing. Not appropriate for every use, but a good option in some cases. There are also plastic screws that are clear. They can obviously be seen, but are attractive enough for display and low key.

Show us a photo of what you end up doing if you get a chance.

Keith Downing
01-14-2017, 2:13 PM
Go to Lowes, buy this. It's perfect for what you're doing. And it is virtually crystal clear.
And strong, I've used it on 2-piece glass awards. Everyone I gotten to try it loves it.

Good suggestion here and I'd try this stuff first. Dries as close to clear as possible, and though I've not stress tested anything. I've glued letters to each other (acrylic to acrylic) and letters to wood (wood to acrylic) and nothing has shown any signs of giving.

Bert Kemp
01-14-2017, 3:35 PM
I actually had some of that Loctite , So I did a combination of that and screws, didn't like the screws but I decided to do it anyway just to make sure it didn't fall off LOL
This is for the Plymouth Regional Senior Center in Plymouth NH. I use to volunteer there and delivered meals on wheels 3 days a week. Cheryl the meals on wheels coordinate knew I did this stuff and emailed me and asked if I could make a plaque for a thank to some other volunteers who donated a Pool Table to the center
So this is what I did.
Here's a Picture per Dave's request
351698I'm not a pro at this but I think it looks ok to hang in the pool room at the senior center. Their all half blind like me anyway:eek::D

David Somers
01-14-2017, 3:53 PM
That looks very nice Bert! And the screws are not as obvious as you think. I bet they will be tickled with this!