PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers drill press table..

Patrick Walsh
01-12-2017, 8:10 PM
I purchasd one in a pinch today. I went to Woodcraft to gather the parts needed to make my own. After some himming and howing a very nice sales rep pointed out Woodpeckers had one fully made right over here. This sounded like the move as i realy have no interest nor the time to make one.

Well it was not the move. After drilling the thing out to fit my DP i get it all setup only to realise i can see daylight through the center of the fence were it registers with the table. I put a straight edge on it and its not even close to flat. The whole thing bows up at the edges.

Anyway i only mention this as i seem to remeber a recent post of someone else having the same problem. I would hate for others to have the same problem. When i was making my decision for a fleeting moment i did recollect the previous thread. I quickly disregard it in the name of saving some time. I also figured from time to time defects happen and wrote it off as a fluke.

I hate to try and return it as i am kinda friendly with my local woodcraft sales staff and i get a sense they dont much care for returns.

Crazy $134 later and i still gotta make my own. One for one woth Woodpeckers. I dont see myself ever buying any silly red aluminum form them after this.

Rich Riddle
01-12-2017, 8:19 PM
It's hit or miss on the tables. The one on the Rockwell Delta fits/works just fine. I am not one who advocates buying much from Woodworkers as I think many of their items fall into the gimmick category. The best one I have seen is here, but patwarner dot com charges about $1285 for it.

Brian Tymchak
01-12-2017, 9:23 PM
Is it possible that tightening down the table to the DP table might have distorted the table a bit?

Patrick Walsh
01-12-2017, 9:40 PM
Nope checked that. Loosened it a bit and still the same. Took the woodpeckers table off and checked mt cast table. The table is flat.

It will get me by to bore out a bunch or euro hinges. Long term im gonna have to make a table. This is one shop proect i could give a rats rear end about...

Rick Potter
01-13-2017, 2:17 AM
Just a thought, but if you are reluctant to return it, how about shimming it in the middle and tightening it up again. Might just straighten it out.

Van Huskey
01-13-2017, 3:51 AM
Why not give the manufacturer a call? It is kinda convention here to give the manufacturer a chance to rectify the situation.

Nick Decker
01-13-2017, 4:26 AM
Ditto. I've had only one occasion to contact their customer service and their response was quick and absolutely satisfactory.

Their reputation is based largely on quality and accuracy. I'm sure they'd appreciate hearing about any problems.

Patrick Walsh
01-13-2017, 7:45 AM
I did think about shiming it. Problem is my table is 12x12 ish and the nature of the concavity is that the left and right most corners need to come down. I dont hsve enough spread between the screws into the base through my twble to get the leverage it would take.

I could call them. After the last thread on this though topic then a bit of online reading last night it seems my problem is not unique. Sometimes the headache of waiting for a replacments or a repairs is not worth it as sometimes you land in the same situation. I kinda just assume build something flat that i know will stay flat.

George Bokros
01-13-2017, 7:54 AM
Seriously call them. They are quick to respond and always provide customer satisfaction.

Patrick Walsh
01-13-2017, 8:01 AM
Ok, ill call them......

Wade Lippman
01-13-2017, 8:02 AM
You spent $134 on a drill press table you could have made yourself, and it is defective. You don't want to either return it or complain to Woodpecker. is that it?

The one time I dealt with Woodpecker service they were very cooperative. And who cares if Woodcraft likes to take returns. Do they like to stay in business?

Carlo Petrilli
01-13-2017, 8:54 AM
I recently placed a table on my drill press and I also lamented over making one or buying one, with the back log of projects I'm working on, I decided to buy a table. I ended up going with a Veritas work surface, I like it because it had the same hole size I use at the workbench for their various clamps, therefore I can utilize the same clamps at both work stations. I also purchased their aluminum fence, brackets and flip stop that work with this table, I thought the price was pretty good based on the workmanship and quality of the product.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=3,43576&p=73498

glenn bradley
01-13-2017, 9:13 AM
Why not give the manufacturer a call? It is kinda convention here to give the manufacturer a chance to rectify the situation.

Yes, this. Why do people fear the phone these days. Call them and I'm sure they will take care of you. I had an Incra fence problem and they simply priority mailed me a non-defective part as a replacement.

Frederick Skelly
01-13-2017, 9:59 AM
Patrick, I had a problem with one of their rules I bought. There took care of it immediately. They know they charge top buck and that their service needs to match the price. In my experience, it did.

Let us know how it goes.
Fred

James Zhu
01-13-2017, 10:00 AM
This is a common issue for Woodpecker drill press table. When I ordered mine years ago, the table was warped, returned, the second one was flat.

Actually, it is easy to build a drill press table, a good exercise. I would build one if I did not have one now :)

James

Patrick Walsh
01-13-2017, 2:33 PM
Of course its easy to built a DP table. Its a time thing and thats all.

Its also a time thing to go through the return, exchange or refund thing. Non are worth my $134.

What was worth my $134 was bolting a table to my DP and getting to work.

I know it sounds harsh but in this and age of disposible everything most everything and a now inherent mind set from conception most everything is made lacking actual quality. Its annoying, really annoying especially when you are willing to ok y up for quality and it almost cant be purchased.

At the least think of it this way. I needed the DP table to complete a task at a said time for work purposes. I took the hour drive on the customers dime. I ponnyied up the the money on gas to do so. So now to resolve a issue i already took the time to resolve i have drive another hour and spend another $7 on gas or i wait and twiddle my thumbs while a new one arrives in the mail.

This is how i come to my decison that making one is the most fail same approach. You would think by now i would had learnt this lesson a million times over. Guess i have but lazziness gets us all sometimes. And in all fairness maybe the same mentality that wins over for those whom make and sell this stuff.

Imop the MDF table should clearly had been wrapped or mounted to substrate that could not warp. Thsi is just my oppinion but isee it day in and day out with crap heavy as hell MDF doors that cost a foryptune to boot. They are also junk!

I suppose i should had oppened the box and looked at the table befoer i purchsed it. I did try but the box was sealed like fort knox and i sis not want to tear it to shreads only to say "eh another poc i'll pass".

Anyway this is just my oppinion. I am full aware opinions will differ, some will not ;)

Really no big deal just a heads up as i wish i had headed to my memory of that prvious thread. Always go with your gut right..

fRED mCnEILL
01-13-2017, 4:01 PM
I understand your frustration. Recently I rented a power tool from Home Depot. Its a 45 min drive and when I got home it didn't work.Phoned them up and told them and they said bring it back for another. I suggested I will have wasted almost 2 hours of my time so they agree and gave me a $20 gift certificate.

BUT, here is what I would do if I were in the same boat. I would order another from Amazon (next day free delivery) and then either return the defective one thru Amazon or drop it off next time I was in the store. Some might consider this a bit shady but then so is selling defective merchandise.

Good luck

Nick Decker
01-13-2017, 4:51 PM
Shady? I'd go with dishonest. Amazon has absolutely no blame here, they just happen to be an easy mark.

I understand your frustration. Recently I rented a power tool from Home Depot. Its a 45 min drive and when I got home it didn't work.Phoned them up and told them and they said bring it back for another. I suggested I will have wasted almost 2 hours of my time so they agree and gave me a $20 gift certificate.

BUT, here is what I would do if I were in the same boat. I would order another from Amazon (next day free delivery) and then either return the defective one thru Amazon or drop it off next time I was in the store. Some might consider this a bit shady but then so is selling defective merchandise.

Good luck

Andy Giddings
01-13-2017, 6:06 PM
+1 on Nick's comment

Jay Houghton
01-13-2017, 6:46 PM
I have one of these and it's perfectly flat, works great with the back rail and flip stops. But if yours is defective take it back instead of ranting. I don't see the purpose or value of a public tantrum over one data point. And quoting that others have experienced the same does not create a trend line, it only reinforces your opinion whether right or wrong. We all make mistakes, companies make mistakes, and notwithstanding Woodpecker prices, they do produce some very high quality merchandise. You can bet they'd rather next-day-air you a replacement than read this blog!
Jay
PS. When you get one unexpectedly in the mail next week I'll send you my address to forward it to!

Paul McGaha
01-13-2017, 6:48 PM
I have the drill press table from Rockler. It's ok. I think the drill press table from Woodpecker would be as good or better.

From what I've heard of Woodpecker's customer service I'm thinking they would make it right if given the chance to. I've bought a few things from Woodpecker and never had the need for their customer service.

PHM

James Zhu
01-13-2017, 8:11 PM
Nope checked that. Loosened it a bit and still the same. Took the woodpeckers table off and checked mt cast table. The table is flat.

It will get me by to bore out a bunch or euro hinges. Long term im gonna have to make a table. This is one shop proect i could give a rats rear end about...

For a few euro cup hinge, I would just use this kreg jig https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgkLFRAUxk. I have it, easy to set up, the result is perfect.

Justin Killebrew
01-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Hi Patrick,

My name is Justin Killebrew. I have worked for Woodpeckers since 2001 and would be happy to help out here. Please let me know what your address is so that I can have a replacement unit shipped to you. I won't need the other unit back.
In the future, all it takes is a quick email or phone call to us. We stand behind our products 100%. While this doesn't mean we get it right every time, we do what it takes to make sure you are happy with anything you purchase from us.

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 11:29 AM
Hi Patrick,

My name is Justin Killebrew. I have worked for Woodpeckers since 2001 and would be happy to help out here. Please let me know what your address is so that I can have a replacement unit shipped to you. I won't need the other unit back.
In the future, all it takes is a quick email or phone call to us. We stand behind our products 100%. While this doesn't mean we get it right every time, we do what it takes to make sure you are happy with anything you purchase from us.

Yep. Thanks for checking in!

Now go tell someone it is time to make more DelVe squares, mine got pilfered from my shop and I really LOVED that thing! :D

Justin Killebrew
01-16-2017, 11:37 AM
Will do! I suspect we will see a re-offer of the DelVe Square later in 2017, hopefully sooner.

Van Huskey
01-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Will do! I suspect we will see a re-offer of the DelVe Square later in 2017, hopefully sooner.

Great! I will be on the list as soon as I get the email!

Frederick Skelly
01-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Hi Patrick,

Good show Justin! Knew you folks would come through for him!
Fred

Ole Anderson
01-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Man, I sure wish we had a thumbs up option up for posts like Justin's!!!:D Bought a few things from Woodpeckers, my PLM12V router lift is still going strong after a bunch of years.

Jay Houghton
01-16-2017, 5:59 PM
Come to think of it, I see quite a few red anodized aluminum things around the shop! Didn't buy them all at once but over the years they accumulate to a nice collection. That and the green and white systainers!
Jay

Justin Killebrew
01-17-2017, 8:42 AM
Just a quick update on this situation. Patrick private messaged me yesterday but I'm still waiting on an address from him so I can send the replacement unit. Once I know where to send it, I'm sure he will be satisfied with his decision to purchase our table.
I would like everyone to know that while most take the approach of notifying the retailer or manufacturer when there is a problem, not all do. It's incredibly difficult to fix a problem when you don't know it exists. We expect all of our products to work as we claim. If there is ever an issue, contact us. We are pretty easy to deal with.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-17-2017, 10:17 AM
Kudos to Woodpecker for voluntarily offering a resolution!

I have this drill table and one of their router lifts. Great products. Everything I have heard about Woodpecker's customer service has been good. Justin's posts back up those reports!

Nick Decker
01-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Woodpeckers was already on my list of companies that get it, when it comes to customer service. Good job, Justin.

George Bokros
01-17-2017, 11:41 AM
I have had nothing but excellent service and great products from Woodpeckers. Great job Justin

Nick Decker
01-20-2017, 8:19 PM
A bit off topic, but I went to the Kansas City Woodworking Show today, and what did I come across at the Woodpeckers booth? Yes, a DelVe Square. They said they only had the one. Took me only a few seconds to bag the little gem. They obviously have a private stash somewhere.

Yep. Thanks for checking in!

Now go tell someone it is time to make more DelVe squares, mine got pilfered from my shop and I really LOVED that thing! :D

Van Huskey
01-20-2017, 8:25 PM
A bit off topic, but I went to the Kansas City Woodworking Show today, and what did I come across at the Woodpeckers booth? Yes, a DelVe Square. They said they only had the one. Took me only a few seconds to bag the little gem. They obviously have a private stash somewhere.

" many bad words ". :p

Bill McNiel
01-20-2017, 10:22 PM
Just a quick update on this situation. Patrick private messaged me yesterday but I'm still waiting on an address from him so I can send the replacement unit. Once I know where to send it, I'm sure he will be satisfied with his decision to purchase our table.
I would like everyone to know that while most take the approach of notifying the retailer or manufacturer when there is a problem, not all do. It's incredibly difficult to fix a problem when you don't know it exists. We expect all of our products to work as we claim. If there is ever an issue, contact us. We are pretty easy to deal with.

Justin,
While I am not a huge fan of Woodpecker's toys, primarily due to pricing, I need you to know how much I appreciate your response to this situation. Total retail class, which seems to be lacking in our world today. Good on you son!
With respect - Bill

Doug Ladendorf
01-21-2017, 10:12 AM
I've had the Woodpeckers drill press table for several years and love it. No problems and highly recommended if you have too much going on to deal with building your own. The one occasion I had to call Woodpeckers support for an item it was immediately resolved. An excellent American company IMHO.

glenn bradley
01-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Kudos to Woodpecker for voluntarily offering a resolution!

Not unexpected. I've had several interactions with Justin over the last decade or so (only one was service related) and he is a class act all the way IMHO. I think we get such marginal service from so many providers that we hesitate to just call them up. There are customer service minded jewels out there like Woodpeckers, Lee Valley and I'm sure many others.

Andy Giddings
01-21-2017, 12:48 PM
Not unexpected. I've had several interactions with Justin over the last decade or so (only one was service related) and he is a class act all the way IMHO. I think we get such marginal service from so many providers that we hesitate to just call them up. There are customer service minded jewels out there like Woodpeckers, Lee Valley and I'm sure many others.
Calling or emailing a supplier costs next to nothing. I've always been willing to give the supplier a chance - certainly before complaining about them

John Lanciani
01-21-2017, 1:44 PM
Sure would be kind of the OP to update this thread, especially considering that the vendor in question has gone out of their way to solve the problem.

Frederick Skelly
01-21-2017, 2:43 PM
Sure would be kind of the OP to update this thread, especially considering that the vendor in question has gone out of their way to solve the problem.

+1. I agree. Patrick, please tell us how all this settled out for you!

Rich Riddle
01-21-2017, 2:47 PM
An update would be nice. Concerning the Woodworking Shows, typically the founder's wife attends for Woodpecker's. I have a couple of their items including the drill press table on the Delta Rockwell drill press. It works well.

Nick Decker
01-21-2017, 2:59 PM
Well, there was a woman working the booth, don't know who she was, just that she and the other guy working were very busy. Woodpeckers and the Lee Valley booths were the main attractions for me. I've been to both websites, a lot, but it's nice to see the stuff and be able to pick it up and touch it. The DelVe Square was $50, which meant that I needed to figure out how to spend another $50 to qualify for the $10 coupon. The lady was very helpful with that. :)

Patrick Walsh
01-21-2017, 7:29 PM
I was indeed contacted by Woodpeckers.

I explained that although it may not be understood, well received or the popular approach i was not looking for a replacement table. Rather my intent was just to put the word out or rather add to the list of people whom have had this same problem.

Again i understand many may not agree with my stance. On the other hand i dont think my experience is going to sink Woodpeckers. I am sure they make many quality products as they seem to be very popular. Imop and a number of others this drill press table is hit or miss.

I applaud Woodpeckers willingess to make this right. That alone will be reason enough to not deter me from purchasing from them again. Just not a drill press table.

Larry Frank
01-21-2017, 7:56 PM
I really think a lot of Woodpeckers for trying to fix this. This thread is a real head scratcher. After reading the thread I am more inclined to buy from Woodpeckers.

Nick Decker
01-21-2017, 8:05 PM
Here's the point, I think (and it really has nothing to do with Patrick personally). Word of mouth advertising used to be worth something to a company, but it was just that - one person talking to another. With the internet, one person says something and thousands of people "hear" it. Woodpeckers gets that, and goes above and beyond to deal with problems. Companies that don't get it do so at their own peril.

Frederick Skelly
01-21-2017, 8:08 PM
Patrick, you're right - I'm mystified how it could bother you enough to complain publically, but not enough to let them correct it for you. But I guess we just think differently about things like this.

Fred

Patrick Walsh
01-21-2017, 8:56 PM
Fred it is two things.

The first being my whole point in posting to start with. I was not looking to strong arm a small business into a replacement. If i just wanted a replacement im pretty sure Woodcraft would had done the exchange no questions asked. Further it is clear Woodpeckers would had if they did not.

Im not stupid enough to go posting a thread looking for a replacment vrs just calling the company and seeing what i can get done. So now its a moral issue with regard to taking a replacement. If i took a replacement it would kibosh my original intent and be pretty two faced imop.

My sole point was this is a reacuring problem and to be another voice putting the word out in hopes it saves another the same aggravation.

The second reason is because i already made a new one and it would be a waste of resources..

Patrick, you're right - I'm mystified how it could bother you enough to complain publically, but not enough to let them correct it for you. But I guess we just think differently about things like this.

Fred

Frederick Skelly
01-21-2017, 9:08 PM
I see. Thanks for clarifying.
Take care!
Fred

Cindy Lauman
02-16-2017, 6:59 PM
Hi all-
This is my first post on the site after being a "lurker" for a few years. You all are great but I have to admit I've felt a bit hesitant to join in because of my gender. In any case, I've learned a ton of things from your discussions and I appreciate the wealth of information I find here. So I found this particular thread while trying to find and read about other's experiences attaching a Woodpecker's DP table to a T-slotted Drill Press table. I wanted to see how other people chose to install it so I could avoid having to make a table for the table to attach. So here's what happened. After reading this thread, I went and checked the table to make sure it was flat. This hadn't even occurred to me as a possibility coming from Woodpeckers! Sure enough, before I even checked it for flat with the fence, I could see my table was slightly curving up on both sides and looked like a smiley face. So I called Woodpeckers customer service and let them know about it, very inspired by this thread. The person I spoke with was very nice but unfortunately, since I purchased it online via "Amazon" he could not help me and said I need to try and arrange a return with Amazon. Apparently if you purchase Woodpecker's products from Amazon, it is a "different account" and must be settled with Amazon. Complicating the whole situation was the fact I purchased it last October right before a cold and rainy few months (even for Seattle) and this limited my ability to work in our garage. So I kept it in the house until my garage was usable again and I had time to devote. The vendor who Amazon shipped it from did not respond to two requests and Amazon can do nothing after 90 days. I ordered it from them because I have a prime account and shipping was free.
So I emailed Woodpecker's customer service yesterday and included proof of my Amazon purchase info. The response I received today was polite but form-letter style and instructed me to mail the table back and fill out a "repair/return" form. It said "we will determine if the product meets our tolerances" (whatever that means.) I know very well a warped MDF table cannot be "repaired" and this thing is super heavy. I am thinking shipping charges back to them will be as much or more as a new table. What would you all do? I am thinking of just taking the hardware off and reinstalling it on a flat baltic birch plywood replica- minus the table's awesome coating of course.
To make it worse, I placed an order yesterday for a few more Woodpecker's products- some in stock along with the One-Time Tool DelVe square. I chose to checkout with PayPal because it was easy and I was being too lazy to go grab my card from the depths of my purse. So I learned (too late) if you choose Paypal as your choice of payment, you do not get the option of shipping items separately. You have to wait until the entire order is filled before it ships. Well the DelVe square does not ship until June! So I asked-in the same letter sent about my dp table- if I really will have to wait on other items until June. For this I was informed I should call customer service with my request- in order for them to collect additional shipping charges first.
Nothing like being asked to pay even more money when you are already down!
So lesson learned- and (for me) the takeaway is do NOT buy Woodpecker's products from Amazon! Or if you do, just know you can't turn directly to Woodpeckers if the product is defective. Despite all this, I am still a Woodpecker Tools fan and have invested more money than I care to admit on their products. I own a few steel rules and measuring tools that I love. But a quick web search about these DP tables quickly made it apparent I am not alone- these MDF tables are often warped right out of the box. I just didn't expect it from a company with such a focus on "precision" tools!
So I apologize for hijacking this thread! Just thought, after the interesting discussion I've read here, you all might find the "We can help-except if you buy it from Amazon" information helpful. Obviously, once I start talking/posting, I tend to be long-winded!

Andy Giddings
02-16-2017, 9:00 PM
Cindy, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first post.

As you probably realize, if the table had been returned within the relevant period after receipt, you'd be a lot happier as Amazon would refund or replace. In terms of whether its worth moving all the gear onto a home made ply table - depending on the result you get from the return to Woodpeckers I would say go for it. I didn't realize they were now making the tables out of MDF as my version is Baltic Birch and has never warped. MDF is ok as long as it's properly sealed otherwise it will react to changes in humidity. I had a Bench Dog router table made out of MDF that stayed dead flat for years so it can work.

If they send you a replacement, seal all the open edges with something like shellac to avoid changes in the future.

I have several Woodpecker products and have been very happy with them. Having a long return period with no questions asked is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of vendors due to the abuse it attracts by some (not in your case) users. I've seen this happen in other situations like Williams and Sonoma - people return pans that have been abused for years and expect a full refund or like new replacement. Profit margins for most vendors these days are razor thin unless they are market leaders like Apple or, in our area, Festool

Frederick Skelly
02-16-2017, 9:27 PM
Welcome Cindy! Glad to have you join us.

I'd make one more run at WP. Ask them if they will split the return shipping with you. What do you have to lose?

Let us know how it goes.
Fred

Cindy Lauman
02-17-2017, 2:11 AM
Thank you Andy! Yes, I completely understand where vendors are coming from and this was completely avoidable if I had just taken the time to check the table for flat right away. On the bright side, I will still have the precision double t-tracks and fence for the table I think I'll make tomorrow. It is supposed to be in the mid-40's here for the next few days- practically summer compared to the cold weather we've had- and I can comfortably work in my garage shop again.

Cindy Lauman
02-17-2017, 2:30 AM
Thanks Fred! I might just do that. But after I posted my rant today, I realized it is not so much about the cost- and more about disappointment with the company continuing to sell a table that does not seems to live up to the standards you find in most of their other products. I had high hopes for this table because I absolutely love using my drill press and my current setup makes it a pain to use.

Nick Decker
02-17-2017, 7:12 AM
Hi, Cindy

FWIW, I recently purchased one of the WP MDF router tables. It's nice and flat, no problems. They do, though, recommend to people living in coastal environments to apply wax to all exposed surfaces on the MDF. While I live in the center of the country, we do see pretty wild humidity changes, so I waxed it anyway. Can't hurt, and it's easy to do.

As for your reluctance to post because of your gender, on the few occasions that I've seen women posting here, I always think, "You go, girl!"

pat warner
02-17-2017, 10:11 AM
Not relevant to the original/first post, but an option, nevertheless.
MIC-6 an Alcoa ground aluminum jig plate is flat.
Not only flat, but stiff, and of uniform thickness.
Heavy, not for DP tables that don't have cranks, unless Charles Atlas.
This sandwich is simple (http://patwarner.com/images/drill_check_list.jpg), tap-able for fence hardware or accessories.

joseph moses
02-17-2017, 10:20 AM
I have found a few things over the years that I like from woodpeckers. Behold the red wall.

mike wacker
02-17-2017, 11:35 AM
This sandwich is simple (http://patwarner.com/images/drill_check_list.jpg), tap-able for fence hardware or accessories.

Where can I source such a jig plate?

Stew Hagerty
02-17-2017, 12:20 PM
I have found a few things over the years that I like from woodpeckers. Behold the red wall.

I've got just a bit of "Red" on my walls too...

Plus some on another wall and several in drawers & my apron. Shhh, don't tell the wife...

joseph moses
02-17-2017, 12:23 PM
It's good to see that I am not the only one.

Nick Decker
02-17-2017, 1:41 PM
Email Pat at patwarner.com.

pat warner
02-17-2017, 1:46 PM
Any where aluminum is sold or mcmastercarr if you wanna pay the max.

David T gray
02-17-2017, 1:54 PM

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/castaluminumplateatp5 this stuff is much cheaper then mic-6 they also cut it on some cnc saw b/c it comes out square and within .005 of the size ordered every time. and <.5'' is spec .005 where is mic-6 is <.75 .005.

Roger Feeley
02-17-2017, 2:27 PM

Good for you, Justin,

Business 101: Cherish the complainers. They are the ones that think you worthy of redemption. There is a lot of cynicism in the world. We buy something and if it doesn't work, we assume that there is no customer service and just avoid that vendor in the future. But there are people that stand behind their work and a lot of them make tools.

Bill Sutherland
02-17-2017, 3:44 PM
This thread is timely because I'm contemplating either building or buying a WP table. I love all my vast WP but not sure I want a MDF table. I have some Incra track so this might be time to put it to use.

David T gray
02-17-2017, 4:37 PM
if anyone does get alu plate take it and get it anodized

Cary Falk
02-17-2017, 4:48 PM
I don't think Woodpecker should have gotten rid of the one looks like this one. I think it is much better than the they are currently offering

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0637.jpg

Andy Giddings
02-17-2017, 6:55 PM
Looks like the Baltic Birch one, Cary? Only difference to mine is the material is Red and yes, its a lot better than MDF

Cary Falk
02-17-2017, 7:31 PM
Andy,
I made that one because Woodpecker quit selling it.

Mark Carlson
02-17-2017, 8:02 PM
I'm interested in an alum plate but am wondering what a good thickness would be?

Earl McLain
02-17-2017, 8:16 PM
I don't think Woodpecker should have gotten rid of the one looks like this one. I think it is much better than the they are currently offering

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0637.jpg

Cary--do you know if WP built the old Incra drill press tables? I've only seen pictures, I recall them being similar to your table.
earl

Cary Falk
02-18-2017, 8:01 AM
Earl,
I have no idea.
Cary

pat warner
02-18-2017, 10:08 AM
"what a good thickness would be? "
Mark, using conventional c-clamps: 5/16 - 3/8
Using toggles (you might bend the plate): 3/8 - 1/2
Equipped with Table lift crank: 3/8 - 1/2
Keep the plate as small as possible.
The bigger it gets (even ground jig plate) the harder it is to keep flat.
The one I'm using now = 3/8 x ~15 x 22 = 12 pounds!

Ben Rivel
02-18-2017, 11:00 AM
https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/castaluminumplateatp5 this stuff is much cheaper then mic-6 they also cut it on some cnc saw b/c it comes out square and within .005 of the size ordered every time. and <.5'' is spec .005 where is mic-6 is <.75 .005.

if anyone does get alu plate take it and get it anodizedAwesome link, thank you!

What thickness are you using?

Mark Carlson
02-18-2017, 1:34 PM
Thanks Pat, you answered all my next questions:)

"what a good thickness would be? "
Mark, using conventional c-clamps: 5/16 - 3/8
Using toggles (you might bend the plate): 3/8 - 1/2
Equipped with Table lift crank: 3/8 - 1/2
Keep the plate as small as possible.
The bigger it gets (even ground jig plate) the harder it is to keep flat.
The one I'm using now = 3/8 x ~15 x 22 = 12 pounds!

Cindy Lauman
02-19-2017, 7:32 PM
Hi, Cindy

FWIW, I recently purchased one of the WP MDF router tables. It's nice and flat, no problems. They do, though, recommend to people living in coastal environments to apply wax to all exposed surfaces on the MDF. While I live in the center of the country, we do see pretty wild humidity changes, so I waxed it anyway. Can't hurt, and it's easy to do.

As for your reluctance to post because of your gender, on the few occasions that I've seen women posting here, I always think, "You go, girl!"

Thank you Nick! It is definitely inspiring to hear somebody cheering me on. I love woodworking and it is fun to see the look on people's faces when they hear what my hobby is. I tell them knitting and cooking attempts were not pretty so I decided to try my hand at something different. My husband is horrified I might try my hand at welding next. I just might do that. : )
I have an Incra router tabletop and I think it also has an MDF core. Still perfectly flat after over a year in our garage and rain drenched city. I couldn't be happier with it.
I will keep the waxing tip in mind and suspect the exposed MDF under the T-tracks might contribute to the problem. I did hear back from WP after I posted and they will replace the table but only once they confirm it truly isn't flat. But paying to ship it is all on me. I plan to see how much it will actually cost to ship it on Tuesday.
Thanks again.

David T gray
02-19-2017, 7:54 PM
Awesome link, thank you!

What thickness are you using?

i bought the woodpeck table when i do buy plate it is always over the .5 limit which is .005 instead of .015.

Bill Graham
03-29-2017, 7:43 PM

Metal Supermarkets, check their website to see if there's a local franchise before ordering online. My local store usually beats the online price if they have it in stock.

My table circa 2012, inspired by Mr. Warner:

It's not cheap(I guess I ended up with $300 or so in material and machine shop time) but it's dead flat and sturdy as all heck. It got transferred to the new press(a NOS Delta Industrial, made in USA) a few years later, a little worn but still flat:

Works for me.

david mcintyre
04-02-2017, 2:14 PM
A few weeks ago I purchased the Woodpeckers DP table. I didn't have the time to install it on my DP so when I received it I took it out of the box, looked it over, put back in the box then stored it in the bonus room.
I just happened across this thread last week so after work on Thursday I took it back out of the box to check how flat it was...

Here's what I found:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/luv2skyski/woodworking/IMG_2479.jpg (http://s124.photobucket.com/user/luv2skyski/media/woodworking/IMG_2479.jpg.html)

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p12/luv2skyski/woodworking/IMG_2480.jpg (http://s124.photobucket.com/user/luv2skyski/media/woodworking/IMG_2480.jpg.html)

Now the picture makes it look a little worse than it is, about 3/32", but it's still not flat.
Thursday just before 5:00 I called Woodpeckers and talked to Stephanie. She asked me to send a picture with a straight edge on the table. (see above).

Friday mornings email:

Hello Dave,
We are going to get a new inspected table top sent out for you.
We are waiting on tables right now - we should have one ready to ship to you by Tuesday.
What address would you like this shipped to?
Thanks!

Stephanie Brucker
Customer Service
Woodpeckers Inc.

So +1 for Woodpeckers!

But I do understand that the OP was just trying to get the word out that some of Woodpeckers DP tables might not be flat.

With Woodpeckers stellar customer service that's a non-issue, at least for me.

I would not hesitate to order anything from Woodpeckers.

Just my 2¢...
Sincerely, Dave.