PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Trunnion Lube

Yonak Hawkins
01-12-2017, 3:47 PM
I don't tilt my table saw blade often and, whenever I do, it is nearly seized. I have been using spray graphite on the trunnions. I know, I know, I should work it more and lubricate more but, what kind of lube do other folks use ? Is there one that lasts longer than others ? Thanks.

Mel Fulks
01-12-2017, 4:12 PM
I use the "never seize " stuff. Once or twice a year is enough. Even with saws that get filled with sawdust the mechanism works smoothly right after the dig out.

Myk Rian
01-12-2017, 5:25 PM
Canning wax.

Rod Sheridan
01-12-2017, 7:15 PM
Dry Moly lube in an aerosol can................Rod.

Martin Wasner
01-12-2017, 7:19 PM
Grease on the slidey parts, including the worm gears. Oil on the spinny parts like shafts. I have to do it maybe every eight months in a full time cabinet shop

Yonak Hawkins
01-13-2017, 10:22 AM
Martin, don't you have a problem with it getting gunky and dried out from sawdust ?

Osvaldo Cristo
01-13-2017, 10:27 AM
I don't tilt my table saw blade often and, whenever I do, it is nearly seized. I have been using spray graphite on the trunnions. I know, I know, I should work it more and lubricate more but, what kind of lube do other folks use ? Is there one that lasts longer than others ? Thanks.

I use a small amount of lithium grease. It has worked for me in the last 25+ years with the (same) tablesaw... :):)

Martin Wasner
01-13-2017, 1:21 PM
Martin, don't you have a problem with it getting gunky and dried out from sawdust ?

Nope. It gets a cake of dust on it, which eventually falls off, but it doesn't hurt anything. It probably actually forms a seal of sorts with dust caked on it.

It doesn't take much to lubricate a low stress moving part that doesn't move much.

Charles Lent
01-14-2017, 10:06 AM
I use Johnsons Paste Wax applied with an old tooth brush for several reasons. It's relatively easy to apply, stays in place well, the surface crusts and dries making it less likely for saw dust to stick to it, and it never never stains the wood if it should ever come into contact with it. In fact, I also apply several coats of this wax to the table top to lessen the chances of rusting and to make the wood slide easily over it. I have never had a problem with it affecting the finishing of any of my work either. A kind of multi purpose solution for table saws and other cast iron tools, but also handy for granite and aluminum surfaces. My Unisaw gets re-lubricated every few months. The top gets re-coated whenever the wood doesn't seem to slide easily over it or if I won't be using my tools for extended periods.

Charley

Rick Moyer
01-14-2017, 10:11 AM
I use a small amount of lithium grease. It has worked for me in the last 25+ years with the (same) tablesaw... :):)
Me too. only seven years on same saw though.

Ole Anderson
01-14-2017, 10:18 AM
Reminds me I probably ought to lube mine for the first time in 15 years...

Osvaldo Cristo
01-14-2017, 6:36 PM
reminds me i probably ought to lube mine for the first time in 15 years...

lol :d:d

Van Huskey
01-14-2017, 7:49 PM
Reminds me I probably ought to lube mine for the first time in 15 years...

My first thought was "they need lube"? I have occasionally cleaned mine but don't think I ever lubed them on any saw I have had.

Roger Green
01-14-2017, 9:44 PM
My dad (old school industrial arts teacher) all ways made a crayon by melting paraffin (canning wax) and stir in a tube of dry graphite powder. When it has cooled down, form it into a large crayon. Wrap masking tape around 2/3 of it (the graphite is a little messy to handle). Now you have a dry lube that will not attract dust.
Roger Green

Doug Ladendorf
01-14-2017, 9:46 PM
I like Dri-Slide, a dry moly/graphite spray that dries.

Yonak Hawkins
01-15-2017, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I have used many of these thin, dry compounds for many years but, like I say, they don't seem to last and, when I need to tilt the blade, there's no gunk but it's all locked up. For that reason, I'm leaning toward Martin's answer. Thanks, everyone, for your responses.

Rod Sheridan
01-16-2017, 9:12 AM
LOL..............Yes they do need lubrication.

Trunnions, pivots, leadscrews, rack and pinions, gears, bushings all those non bandsaw type devices.......:D