PDA

View Full Version : Another thanks - this time, Kent Bathurst

daniel lane
01-12-2017, 2:27 PM
I finally got time to move all of the stuff around in the basement and have started setting up shop. Now I'm looking to build a workbench with actual workholding capabilities (as opposed to what I've been using) and in reading some threads, came across a comment by Kent about DSS SYP (here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?224871-Benches-made-from-BORG-wood-PICS-designs-tips-tricks-sock-it-to-me!!!!!&p=2345420#post2345420)). I never once thought about looking for DSS SYP, but now that I'm in North Carolina (vs. many years out in CA and NV), I figured it's worth a shot. There's a builder's supply just up the road from me; I went in and introduced myself and asked if they sold to the general public. Long story short, they will sell me DSS SYP at less than the BORG charges for #2!

Just got the RFQ back and will be placing an order shortly. Only "downside" is I can only get 16-foot lengths, so I have to cut it in the parking lot to get it home...but I figure 16-foot DSS is going to be some mighty clear lumber!

Anyway, thanks, Kent. You inspired me to find better quality lumber at a lower price!

daniel

Kurt Cady
01-12-2017, 3:20 PM
Sadly Kent left this forum. I always appreciated his insight

daniel lane
01-12-2017, 4:04 PM
I hadn't heard that! Sorry to hear he's no longer here. Well, I'll be thinking fond thoughts of him for his inspiration and for our previous interactions.

I've been an on-and-off regular on SMC, and have been mostly gone for the last 2 years or so due to an extremely high travel / high workload position I took. Any other big things I missed out on?

d

Mike Allen1010
01-12-2017, 8:27 PM
Sadly Kent left this forum. I always appreciated his insight

+1 Really miss Kent, especially his sense of humor!

Chris Hachet
01-13-2017, 9:48 AM
One advantage of an SYP bench is that it is much quieter if you pound on it for making mortices and the like. I ahve an adult son who sometimes works at home and lives at home...he is saving money to buy a house when he gets married.

Quiet could be a real asset in a bench...

daniel lane
01-13-2017, 10:04 AM
That's nice to know, Chris. I'm looking forward to trying out a 'real' bench. :)

Just went through a modified cut list and the quote, looks like I can get everything I need for my bench AND a smaller one (same style!) for the kids for ~$150. I can hardly wait to see the looks I get standing in the parking lot with a hand saw making 8' pieces to put in the back of the truck!