PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new compressor

Dan Mages
10-11-2005, 8:53 AM
I loaned my parents my compressor to do their living room floor and managed to drive it 6 feet under. It makes a very loud clanking sound and is probably toast. So it is time for a compressor. Yes, there are numerous threads here on compressors, but I am looking for a particular type. my space is tight, so I am looking for a vertical compressor, probably 20 gallon, that can be wheeled around. Any reccomendations??

Thanks!

Dan

Dave Richards
10-11-2005, 9:02 AM
Dan, I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of new tools but if you can locate the parts, a compressor isn't really very difficult to service. From what I've seen the parts for most almost generic.

On the other hand, I have a compressor that has a rusty tank. FIL bought it at a garage sale and gave it to me. I'm kind of afraid of the tank so I don't use it much. I'll be interested to hear the opinions of those who knowthe current scoop on compressors.

Bruce Page
10-11-2005, 9:23 AM
Dan, my old Speedaire started making a horrendous clanking sound also. The metal against metal sound turned out to be a simple as one of the reed valve screws coming loose and falling into the cylinder (see link). One new screw and a head gasket later, it was as good as new. Of course that was after I bought a new IR compressor :rolleyes: . My SIL was the happy recipient of the Speedaire.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19020

Dan Mages
10-11-2005, 12:22 PM
While it may be possible to repair it, I do want to get something larger than this luggable old 4 gallon beast. It is nearly impossible to use it with an impact wrench or HVLP sprayer. Besides, my parent's are buying, so what the heck!

Dan

Matt Meiser
10-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Ingersoll-Rand makes one. I think Tractor Supply stocks them and you can also get them at Northern Tool.