PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cutting board

David Huston
01-11-2017, 9:30 PM
I would really like to make this cutting board and would like some input on the best way to do it. Thought about cutting strips of 4/4 walnut to 1 3/4 wide and then cutting some 8/4 maple (or maybe movingui) to 1/8 wide (probably cut to 1/4 and plane down to 1/8) then glue up sticks of walnut,maple/movingui, and walnut. Then glue the sticks together rotating every other one to make a panel. Then crosscut the panel every 1 1/2 inch, rotate 90 degrees to glue up into final end grain cutting board. Any other ways?

Thanks

Eduard Nemirovsky
01-11-2017, 10:44 PM
David,
in my opinion best info for fancy cutting boards you can find on u-tube. Look for MTM - he is a russian ww who put a lot of info and how-to-do-it on videos.

Ed.

Mark Carlson
01-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Check out the videos from mtmwood on youtube. He has videos on how to make all types of cutting boards. My favorite is how to take all your scrap and turn it into really cool boards. I made about 8 of these recently to get rid of all my wood before moving.

Andy Giddings
01-11-2017, 10:51 PM
David, your approach looks sound to me - probably the easiest method that uses the least material

Ellery Becnel
01-12-2017, 4:51 AM
David, that is how I would approach it also. Making sure that the 3 strip glue up is milled accurately. So that when you rotate each strip section your intersecting lines do not wonder. The length of your strips will dictate the size of the board, in that direction.
The amount of strip sections used will dictate the other dimension.

Let us know what method you use, and post some pictures. Thanks for the idea.

Elllery Becnel

dave graves
01-12-2017, 10:34 AM
[QUOTE=David Huston;2645319].... Then glue the sticks together rotating every other one to make a panel. Then crosscut the panel every 1 1/2 inch, rotate 90 degrees to glue up into final end grain cutting board. Any other ways?

Maybe I am misunderstanding here, but if you rotate every other crosscut by 90 degrees won't that expose side grain instead of end grain? A similar project is making a chessboard. In this case if you want the final product to have 8 blocks on a side, then simply make your 'panel' 9 blocks long, then glue up the crosscuts staggered by 1 block and trim off the ends. Or if you want 7 blocks on a side (or any odd number), then simply flip every other crosscut 180 degrees and glue.

dave

David Huston
01-12-2017, 9:47 PM
Rotating every other stick 90 degrees give the alternating pattern. Then rotate every crosscut to show the end grain.