PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Received His Festool Sander on Back-Order?

Rich Riddle
01-10-2017, 6:31 PM
I am just wondering if anyone has received the random orbit sander that Tool Nut has on back-order. I think mine has about a month left on the fulfill list. Van, don't bother piping in......for obvious reasons.

Van Huskey
01-10-2017, 6:46 PM
Aww come on you're no fun.... that reminds me I do have 4 $50 rebate checks to deposit... :p

On a less stick in the eye kinda note I haven't seen mention of it on FOG regarding any retailers so my guess is the first wave hasn't arrived yet but IIRC they are expected very soon and I am not surprised retailers have been keeping a low profile on this for the last month or so, not wanting to anger the natives and what not.

Earl McLain
01-10-2017, 8:13 PM
I got an e-mail a few days ago saying the target for mine is Feb 9--which is my original delayed date. It doesn't normally get warm enough to hit the shop until mid-March, so i'm good even if it's a little later than 2-9.
earl

Mike Henderson
01-10-2017, 8:26 PM
Mine is March sometime. It's so far out that I don't track the exact date.

Mike

Bill McNiel
01-10-2017, 11:11 PM
No, no , and no.

Ben Rivel
01-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Ha yea dont hate on Van, he's certainly not the only one that had the foresight to buy a bunch of those Pro 5 LTDs! :D

David T gray
01-10-2017, 11:20 PM
yeah but now he has to buy 4 more tools from festool to get those rebates

Ben Rivel
01-10-2017, 11:31 PM
yeah but now he has to buy 4 more tools from festool to get those rebatesNope, they come as a check you deposit. So you can do whatever you want with them. Its just cash in the bank.

Van Huskey
01-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Nope, they come as a check you deposit. So you can do whatever you want with them. Its just cash in the bank.

I think he is saying I had to use the vouchers to get the checks.

Obviously, I did have to but they were planned purchases anyway, if I had only planned to buy Festool in the next year I would have just bought 1 Pro 5 etc.

What I did do was buy all 4 when eBay had their last 10% eBay Bucks day so I got an additional ~$220 in eBay bucks that I.... spent on Festool accessories but I could have spent it on anything on eBay. If I felt compelled to see the sanders I could clear another $200 easy and could have gotten the 4 tools for over 33% off. In the end Festool was very good to me over the holidays and I suppose I was pretty good to them as well, a nice symbiotic relationship.

edit: BTW if anyone is thinking buying Festool on eBay is dicey it really isn't, no issues with warranty (just register the tool online) and both CPO and Hartville Tool sell Festool on eBay and thus far I have limited my purchases to them.

David T gray
01-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Nope, they come as a check you deposit. So you can do whatever you want with them. Its just cash in the bank.
i wish if that was true i would have bought as many as i could.

Ben Rivel
01-10-2017, 11:51 PM
I think he is saying I had to use the vouchers to get the checks.

Obviously, I did have to but they were planned purchases anyway, if I had only planned to buy Festool in the next year I would have just bought 1 Pro 5 etc.

What I did do was buy all 4 when eBay had their last 10% eBay Bucks day so I got an additional ~$220 in eBay bucks that I.... spent on Festool accessories but I could have spent it on anything on eBay. If I felt compelled to see the sanders I could clear another $200 easy and could have gotten the 4 tools for over 33% off. In the end Festool was very good to me over the holidays and I suppose I was pretty good to them as well, a nice symbiotic relationship.Oh, yea, misread that. Had a couple beers. Yea that makes sense.

And yes, smart man! Combining purchases with eBay Bucks deals is definitely the way to go!

Mike Heidrick
01-11-2017, 2:46 PM
I really like the 5" pro sander. It is worth your wait. A buddy used one of my vouchers on a rotex purchase.

Sam Beagle
01-11-2017, 3:27 PM
I find this really irritating. I'm a huge Festool fan, but they really dropped the ball here. I'm a floor sander by trade and use these very often. I bought 5 of them on day 1, payed using PayPal and gotta wait till almost April. Bad thing is, if you used PayPal they took the money immediately then made you wait 6 months. It's just a sore subject for me. I have 3 of The 125s out getting service. So I actually need the sanders I paid for.

Wade Lippman
01-11-2017, 4:51 PM
This is the first I heard of this! Any chance they will do it again? One retailer told me they expected to be able to accept new orders in March, but i am not holding my breath.

Van Huskey
01-11-2017, 7:53 PM
This is the first I heard of this! Any chance they will do it again? One retailer told me they expected to be able to accept new orders in March, but i am not holding my breath.

The chance of them doing the promotion again for $99 with a $50 voucher anytime soon is HIGHLY unlikely.. They had to have their dealers stop taking orders early on the 3rd day of pre-sale since the orders were already multiple times what they expected to receive. The whole thing has been a major PITA for Festool and the dealers. They have taken a lot of heat and have actually gone out of their way to make the promotion work as best they could.

Now they will probably start shipping the updated Pro 5/ETS 125 (whatever they decide to call it here) sometime in March or April (it has been out in Europe) but it will be the normal price which I expect will continue to be $195 and with the normal colored systainer and no voucher.

Van Huskey
01-17-2017, 1:17 PM
FYI the first "new" batch of Pro 5s have started hitting dealers in the last couple of days. Note they are not coming all at once but in bi-weekly shipments until all the back ordered pre-orders are satisfied.

Ben Rivel
01-17-2017, 1:18 PM
So do we know yet if they are going to continue offering the Pro 5 LTD after all these orders are filled for $99? Or when will they stop the $50 voucher deal?

Van Huskey
01-17-2017, 2:04 PM
So do we know yet if they are going to continue offering the Pro 5 LTD after all these orders are filled for $99? Or when will they stop the $50 voucher deal?

I don't know if Festool have definitely said but I highly doubt it. The sander is selling in Europe as the updated ETS 125 (same name) and kept the same price as the old ETS, here the updated RTS and DTS are on sale for the same price as the previous models so I expect the new ETS 125 (or if they keep Pro 5 which I doubt) to sell for $195. I think it was a one and done deal but you never know, if Festool feels it drove more sales and brought more people into the fold they might do something similar again despite the trouble is caused them. It has been near a decade since they did anything like this and my guess is it will be awhile before they consider it again.

Bryan Knitter
01-18-2017, 2:06 PM
Is there any way to still get this sander for the $99 price point?

I've seen a few on ebay with $250 buy it now prices, that's absurd.

Van Huskey
01-18-2017, 2:12 PM
Is there any way to still get this sander for the $99 price point?

I've seen a few on ebay with $250 buy it now prices, that's absurd.

Short answer no. They started the presale IIRC at the beginning of November and Festool had their retailers stop taking orders on the morning of the 3rd day because the demand had already FAR exceeded their expectations and their initial supply. The actual "value" in Festool terms is $245, $195 for the tool with a $50 voucher for a future tool purchase. As you can expect most Festoolians went nuts @ 99 bucks.

Mike Tekin
01-18-2017, 3:24 PM
My dealer told me that Festool made notice to all dealers that this Pro 5 promotion was officially canceled back in November soon after they stopped dealer pre-orders, thus this voucher/$99 promotion is officially dead unless you got in a pre-order and got a commitment from Festool/your dealer that your pre-order will be fulfilled.

Russell Stanton
01-19-2017, 5:43 PM
Just a call from my local Woodcraft today that mine just came in. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

NICK BARBOZA
01-19-2017, 9:38 PM
Well this morning I was reading this thread and then just before lunch I got a call from my local Festool dealer and they told me that my Pro 5 came in!!!! Took a while, but I'm excited to add it to the pack!
picture to prove it:
cheers,
NWB

Mike Nguyen
01-20-2017, 12:09 AM
Well this morning I was reading this thread and then just before lunch I got a call from my local Festool dealer and they told me that my Pro 5 came in!!!! Took a while, but I'm excited to add it to the pack!
picture to prove it:
cheers,
NWB
Great. Now turn it on and make sure it is not jumpy or jerky out of the box like mine. I sent mine to Festool 2 weeks ago for repair and should get it back tomorrow or Monday.
Good luck.
Mike

mreza Salav
01-20-2017, 12:21 AM
Mine was among the first batch but haven't even taken it out of its box. Sits in a corner of the shop...
Somehow the excitement of playing with a new tool has escaped me. Darn! now I remember I haven't tried that Veritas angle plane either.....

Mike Nguyen
01-20-2017, 12:33 AM
Yep. Mine was among the first batch too but I never had any problem with any of my other Festool sanders so I did not even think about testing until I saw one of the video on Youtube about the sander being jumpy.

NICK BARBOZA
01-20-2017, 7:50 AM
yea, I'll give it a whirl this weekend and see how it is.
I also just purchased a RO125, so the PRO5 may not see as much action as it would have a couple months ago....

Van Huskey
01-22-2017, 6:51 PM
Anyone wanting one for $99 check your local dealers. There are reports of dealers getting their pre-orders that were not for specific people and putting them on the floor, specifically some Woodcrafts but other dealers might be in the same boat.

Van Huskey
01-27-2017, 5:30 PM
FYI if you ordered from Bob Marino he just got and is shipping out his first batch of backorders today.

Rich Riddle
01-27-2017, 5:47 PM
Mine isn't due for a few more weeks.

Rich Riddle
02-17-2017, 8:37 PM
I had a pleasant surprise of a Festool sander in the mail today. The ToolNut had predicted Feb. 17, 2017 as the delivery date. Good guess.

Dave Zellers
02-17-2017, 10:18 PM
Mine is March something. Don't really care since I'm confident when it's my turn, I'll get it.

I also already have one so this one is pure indulgence. Two different grits, always at the ready. :cool:

The bigger problem will be what to do with the $50 certificate. Probably a jig saw. I still have the original Bosch barrel grip that must be over 30 years old at this point and is still hanging in there.

Two different blades, always at the ready! :D

Van Huskey
02-19-2017, 1:53 AM

I think this guy figured out the secret code... kinda takes the heat off my paltry 4!

Martin Shupe
02-20-2017, 6:30 AM
That guy is the reason I still don't have my one.

They should have put a limit on how many you could order at the special price.

Does anyone know if the $50 certificate has an expiration date?

If so, what is it?

Mike Goetzke
02-20-2017, 9:32 AM
I just got mine last Friday (ordered in October). I see many are selling the systainers and sanders separately on the bay.

I was thinking of giving it to my son. He just bought a house and is getting married in May but he just was gifted a DeWalt. But, guess I have more than one sander - he should too???

Mike

Todd Hyman
02-20-2017, 9:54 PM
That guy is the reason I still don't have my one.

They should have put a limit on how many you could order at the special price.

Does anyone know if the $50 certificate has an expiration date?

If so, what is it?

I just received mine today. The certificate is good until the end of 2017.

Martin Shupe
02-25-2017, 6:53 AM
Thanks, Todd. I am still waiting. I was told mid-March.

Earl McLain
02-25-2017, 7:03 AM
Mine arrived on 2-23, have only had time to plug in and test motor. At a quick glance--looks great, feels great. May get some shop time today (or MAKE some shop time today) to give it a test run.
earl