PDA

View Full Version : Now, that was a good football game

Perry Holbrook
01-10-2017, 8:03 AM
Great game to watch, there is some much emotion in college football. Clemson just seemed to be destined to win.

Hope many of you watched.

Perry

Van Huskey
01-10-2017, 9:02 AM
There were several good bowl games this year with a couple going into overtime but the best games by far were the Rose Bowl and NC game. Watson convinced me last night he got robbed of a Heisman and Renfrow showed that a small (5-9 180) slot receiver had Bama's number 2 years in a row. The wheels just came of the Tide's defense in the 4th quarter too many snaps and Clemson spread the field on them most every play. The bitter among the Alabama fans will be talking about the two rub, errr pick, plays at least until at least September. Two great Natty games in a row from the same two teams, shame it is unlikely to be the same matchup next year, I could watch the 2015/2016 versions of these teams play every weekend.

John K Jordan
01-10-2017, 9:05 AM
Great game to watch, there is some much emotion in college football. Clemson just seemed to be destined to win.
Hope many of you watched.
Perry

Is it football season again?
(I haven't watched TV in over 10 years. Life is too short.)

JKJ

Rich Riddle
01-10-2017, 9:24 AM
I must admit that when they were down 14-0 thoughts of, "here we go again" were surfacing. Congratulations to Clemson.

Dick Latshaw
01-10-2017, 10:24 AM
Now, that was a good football game

Umm... not so much if you are a 'bama fan.:)

I thought it was great.

War Eagle!

Jim Becker
01-10-2017, 10:35 AM
I sadly completely forgot it was on last night...I would have enjoyed watching it. Of course, I would have been happier if Penn State was in it. :D :D :D (But am very proud of what they did accomplish this year!)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-10-2017, 10:46 AM
I was sitting at the computer designing an end table with my back to the television. The television here in the family room doesn' t have closed captioning and I had the sound turned off. I watched bits and pieces of it. It must have been a super game!

David Spurr
01-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Missed it. Stupid heater went out in the shop. Spent two hours trouble shooting but got it back up. 36° is much too cold for polyurethane.

Mike Null
01-10-2017, 11:54 AM
From a die hard Buckeye (who didn't think they belonged in the playoffs) That was great football. Congratulations to Clemson.

Pat Barry
01-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Fell asleep and missed the second half. Heard Clemson won and was both surprised and happy :)

Bill McNiel
01-10-2017, 12:51 PM
I sadly completely forgot it was on last night...I would have enjoyed watching it. Of course, I would have been happier if Penn State was in it. :D :D :D (But am very proud of what they did accomplish this year!)

Jim,
You might have missed, or forgotten, the Rose Bowl game that Penn State played. Spoiler.........USC came out on top in a truly epic game (with horrible ACC "officials").

Two of the best bowl games ever.

Fight On - Bill

Van Huskey
01-10-2017, 8:19 PM
(with horrible ACC "officials").

I've gotten to the point I don't lay anything called at full speed at the official's feet, it is kinda like artificial vs natural turf and weather conditions it is just part of the game. The only thing I take issue with is the "slow motion" calls like Colorado's 5th down back in 1990 which allowed them to share the NC which they probably would not have had Missouri won the game.

Paul McGaha
01-10-2017, 8:26 PM
it was a thrilling and fun game to watch.

Congratulations to Clemson.

PHM

Joe Mioux
01-10-2017, 8:48 PM
I have traditionally been a Big 10 fan as I am a UIllinois alum. I really liked seeing Penn State become a part of the conference and then Nebraska. Then came Rutgers and Maryland. The Big Ten is a great conference.

However, my oldest kid, after graduating UIllinois in Landscape Architecture (honors, yea I am damn proud of that kid... I asked him a year after graduating, "did you graduate number 1 in your class", and he uncomfortably said yes)

Anyway, he is now a graduate student (Masters of Architecture) - at Clemson. My money is now being spent there. So i started following Clemson football.

So for the past two years, I have watched almost every Clemson game. Clemson has a premier program and Coach Dabo Swinney is a special person. He is teaching his student athletes life lessons and instilling character in his players that is really something special. Google him and listen to his interviews.

Deshaun Watson is so special. In 2015, he had 4100 total yards with 1100 rushing yards. This year he started off slow. He finished with more total yards with 4500 yards but "only" 650 rushing. In addition, Watson graduated this Dec 2016 from Clemson as a Junior. There were several other team members who graduated this past December.

My whole point is that Clemson is doing it really right.

Go Tigers.

Shawn Pixley
01-10-2017, 8:50 PM
Sorry, I don't follow college football. Didn't watch.

Joe Mioux
01-10-2017, 8:58 PM

Penn State had a great season.

Jim Becker
01-10-2017, 9:07 PM
Jim,
You might have missed, or forgotten, the Rose Bowl game that Penn State played. Spoiler.........USC came out on top in a truly epic game (with horrible ACC "officials").

Two of the best bowl games ever.

Fight On - Bill

I neither missed nor forgot the Rose Bowl...I watched every second of it. :) And yes, it was a spectacular game that could have gone either way in the end. I'm sad I missed the 'Bama-Clemson matchup because I know I would have enjoyed it.

I'm hoping that the next generation will accept her offer from PSU for the coming fall, joining myself and my father who came before...the younger next to me here in this photo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/DSC_0878_zps9cobajdc.jpg

Jerry Olexa
01-10-2017, 9:12 PM
Those were 2 great exciting games: The Rose Bowl and the ALA-Clemson clash..Both games decided in the final minutes (or seconds in Clemson victory)...USC performed very well with a freshman QB!!!

Paul McGaha
01-10-2017, 9:17 PM
I have traditionally been a Big 10 fan as I am a UIllinois alum. I really liked seeing Penn State become a part of the conference and then Nebraska. Then came Rutgers and Maryland. The Big Ten is a great conference.

However, my oldest kid, after graduating UIllinois in Landscape Architecture (honors, yea I am damn proud of that kid... I asked him a year after graduating, "did you graduate number 1 in your class", and he uncomfortably said yes)

Anyway, he is now a graduate student (Masters of Architecture) - at Clemson. My money is now being spent there. So i started following Clemson football.

So for the past two years, I have watched almost every Clemson game. Clemson has a premier program and Coach Dabo Swinney is a special person. He is teaching his student athletes life lessons and instilling character in his players that is really something special. Google him and listen to his interviews.

Deshaun Watson is so special. In 2015, he had 4100 total yards with 1100 rushing yards. This year he started off slow. He finished with more total yards with 4500 yards but "only" 650 rushing. In addition, Watson graduated this Dec 2016 from Clemson as a Junior. There were several other team members who graduated this past December.

My whole point is that Clemson is doing it really right.

Go Tigers.It's good to hear something so positive about a program Joe, thanks for sharing that.

PHM

Joe Mioux
01-10-2017, 9:33 PM
It's good to hear something so positive about a program Joe, thanks for sharing that.

PHM

thanks. Last year right before the National championship game against Alabama, Coach Swinney suspended a starting wide receiver for getting caught smoking some dope.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/14463932/clemson-tigers-send-3-home-including-deon-cain

that kid worked really hard to get back on the team and in the good grace of his Coach. That kid acknowledged his mistake. That coach accepted him back after Cain proved himself.

I have never seen a coach more inspirational. Google Dabo Swinney and you will see he grew up the hard way.

Van Huskey
01-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Just a note on PSU, never really was a fan though I did have great respect JoePa. I am SOOO very happy the team has been doing well, what the 99.9999999999% of people associated with PSU that had zero to do with "that" were forced to endure was horrible (though not remotely as tragic as the actual direct victims). Glad to see happy back in the valley.

Van Huskey
01-11-2017, 12:36 AM
Interesting that Dabo has won a Natty with both Alabama (player) and Clemson (coach). I guess Dabo also had the last laugh on Mike Dubose who fired him from the Bama staff, what is Mike coaching now... high school football.

Jim Becker
01-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Just a note on PSU, never really was a fan though I did have great respect JoePa. I am SOOO very happy the team has been doing well, what the 99.9999999999% of people associated with PSU that had zero to do with "that" were forced to endure was horrible (though not remotely as tragic as the actual direct victims). Glad to see happy back in the valley.
Yea, it's good that the program endured as it has and kudos to the many players who decided to "stay" rather than move to other programs early in the angst. Their leadership combined with getting the excellent head coach they have now (a local...he grew up nearby here) really shines things up. While I liked JoePa (and actually worked for the team during my first fall at school in 1975...I've personally been yelled at by him. :) ), I was very troubled by the fact that he apparently didn't step up when terrible things were going on in the same way he stringently held the team to study-first, etc. But that's all been hashed over a whole bunch and history now.

Almost all of these programs consist of great people from the coaches down to the players and the outstanding efforts from all of the teams in the bowls and the championship series was great this year! My "work spouse" is an OSU graduate so that made for some interesting banter between us. LOL