PDA

View Full Version : This new flu is BAD

Kev Williams
01-10-2017, 12:24 AM
I'm assuming what I have is the flu. Haven't been this knocked down for close to 20 years. Hit me Friday afternoon, and still going strong. Everything aches, although that's subsiding a bit, but replacing it is vertigo and the nausea that comes with it. Just walking from one room to the other is a chore. My work is suffering because I can't keep at it, hard to stay focused on anything and get exhausted way too easily...

The wife had a flu shot and she has it too, but it seems the shot is working as she's not as bad and seems to be thru the worst of it after only 2 days.

Hope everyone else can avoid it!

lee cox
01-10-2017, 12:30 AM
I got it too. I have been down since last Thursday. I am really starting to get cabin fever. But I don't have enough energy to do anything.

Brian Tymchak
01-10-2017, 9:03 AM
My wife had the more classic flu that you described, with the aches, etc. I had the more cold-like flu that hangs on for 3-4 weeks. I'm in week 4. We both had the flu shot... Everyone in our work group has had one version or the other. It is bad this year.

John K Jordan
01-10-2017, 9:10 AM
...Hope everyone else can avoid it!

Oh my, prayers are with you. I hope you feel better very soon.

I haven't caught it (yet, knock on bubinga). Maybe one of the advantages of being retired and somewhat isolated out in the country.

JKJ

Rich Riddle
01-10-2017, 9:21 AM
I hope you feel better and soon. The flu can be very bad, even fatal. It's good to see your wife is recovering from hers a bit quicker. Best of luck to you.

Mike Dowell
01-14-2017, 9:32 AM
Get better soon! My wife and I got hit last year and I remember being more or less incapacitated for about 7 days. I'm 38 and can't remember ever being that sick in my life. Problem is, the shot only covers one section of the virus right? I never get a flu shot. I figure, what's the point if I Can still get sick? Seems like locking only one of my 3 doors at night.

Bruce Page
01-14-2017, 12:19 PM
I hope you feel better. I'm 95% through a bad head cold. My wife is in the throws of it now. It's only my second cold since retiring 6 years ago so I can't complain too much.

Steve Peterson
01-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Get better soon! My wife and I got hit last year and I remember being more or less incapacitated for about 7 days. I'm 38 and can't remember ever being that sick in my life. Problem is, the shot only covers one section of the virus right? I never get a flu shot. I figure, what's the point if I Can still get sick? Seems like locking only one of my 3 doors at night.

It's kind of like locking 3 doors when the burglars are specialized. One type only breaks in the front door and another only breaks in the back door. Locking 3 doors would only let the "garage door" burglars in, so you should see a reduction in break-ins.

Steve

Stan Calow
01-14-2017, 12:55 PM
There are multiple influenza viruses and they are all continually mutating into new forms. When they make the vaccines, they are having to guess, months ahead of time, what kinds and what forms they will be in when they hit peak season. So its always a moving target.

Kev Williams
01-14-2017, 1:01 PM
Day 8 and it's still hanging on, but nothing like the first 4 days! Feel much better today than yesterday so I'm happy :)

Miranda Hessel
01-14-2017, 1:17 PM
In the future, arm yourself with either elderberry syrup or elderberry tincture. Elderberry is great at cutting down influenza virus strains. Check out Sambucol, it's the commercial form.

I make my own tincture with 1/3 of a jar filled with dried elderberries, topped off with vodka, sealed and left for a few weeks. Shake it when you remember. Strain out the berries and viola, tincture.

Take a tablespoon or so, 3-4 times per day at first onset of symptoms.

Mike Dowell
01-14-2017, 8:40 PM
It's kind of like locking 3 doors when the burglars are specialized. One type only breaks in the front door and another only breaks in the back door. Locking 3 doors would only let the "garage door" burglars in, so you should see a reduction in break-ins.

SteveI feel much better now. :D