PDA

View Full Version : Variation In Pre War Stanley Totes?

Mark R Webster
01-08-2017, 11:59 AM
I have refurbished a large number of pre war Stanley/Bailey hand planes. While the metal parts are fairly standardized, it seems that there is a tremendous variation in the shape of the rosewood totes even within intended planes sizes.

The horns seem to have various shapes some longer than others, (I realize some have been broken off and cleaned up),
the forward angles on some seem to be more acute while others more upright.
some seem to be fatter than others

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is? Were the totes different based on the location of the factory... who was on shift that day. Being wood and not metal were they more hand crafted lending to more variability? Opinions?

Jim Koepke
01-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Stanley did change the tote shape a few times over the years.
There most likely was some variations due to varying thickness of supplied stock and wear to the shaping equipment. Add to that the workers who may have used pieces a little undersized producing a short horn and oversized pieces ending up with a slightly longer horn. Finally at the finish sanding station some would get sanded more than others.

When there are variances of stock, machine wear, worker's attention span, how much they may have had to drink the night before or before showing up for a days work and there is bound to be some variance.

jtk

Mark R Webster
01-08-2017, 2:57 PM
Hi Jim, I didn't know they actually changed the shape intensionally.. I suspected so.. good to know. The rest of your thoughts make sense to me.
thanks
Mark

Kees Heiden
01-08-2017, 3:43 PM
They certainly changed the front curve somewhere in the late 19th century. The older ones are harder to grasp with 4 fingers, even my thin fingers. The bottom of the curve bows out higher then on the later handles.

Mark R Webster
01-08-2017, 3:56 PM
Yes I have definitely seen that! Thanks for the confirmation.

Mike Brady
01-09-2017, 10:15 AM
There are basically just pre-war (WWII) totes and post-war totes. Pre-war totes were sanded to shape my hand (hand-guided on a machine). These have a radius on every surface and are very comfortable in the hand. Better examples may have a decal on one side. The horns on these may be slightly longer than the post-war versions. During the war much of the manufacturing time was taken out of the planes, and the handles were eventually made on a shaper so that a flat was left on both sides of the handle. The castings were thicker for the same reason...they cut out some time from manufacturing the tool. Also the rosewood was dropped in favor of domestic hardwood; although a return to rosewood took place after the war. For these and other reasons, many tool boffs point to the 1920-40 decades as the pinnacle of American hand tool quality.

Kees Heiden
01-09-2017, 10:45 AM
This is the difference I was talking about. I don't know when they changed, type 6? The one is front is the older one and is much fatter with less room for the pinky.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2017, 12:01 PM
According to the book by John Walter, “Antique & Collectable Stanley Tools” type 1 (1867-69) totes were described, “Rosewood handle has distinct & graceful shape.”
Type 3 (1872-73) lists, “Change in handle design.”
Type 6 (1888-92) lists, “Change in handle design.”
Type 10 (1907-09) lists, “Change in handle design.”

These are only the major intended changes in the handle designs. It doesn’t say anything about the variances of manufacturing.

The war and post war years saw hardwood handles with various schemes of staining and painting. Some rosewood handles were used on post war planes.

jtk

Mark R Webster
01-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Yes Kees this is a perfect example.

Mark R Webster
01-09-2017, 12:41 PM
According to the book by John Walter, “Antique & Collectable Stanley Tools” type 1 (1867-69) totes were described, “Rosewood handle has distinct & graceful shape.”
Type 3 (1872-73) lists, “Change in handle design.”
Type 6 (1888-92) lists, “Change in handle design.”
Type 10 (1907-09) lists, “Change in handle design.”

Yes that nails it for me. Thanks Jim

Mike I was referring to pre-war totes, I realize the post-war totes varied in several ways.
The picture Kees posted is a perfect example.
I just didn't realize Stanley actually changed the design and thought it was maybe a QC or site/worker ? variation.
Good info guys :D

Mike Brady
01-09-2017, 6:21 PM
"Pre-" which war?
The planes in Kees' photo could be no older than 1907 since they have lateral adjusters. I guess you meant pre-WWI.

Mark R Webster
01-09-2017, 6:34 PM
Actually I meant anything from the beginning up to WWII :)

Kees Heiden
01-10-2017, 1:42 AM
My "old" handle sits on a newer #5. So I don't know when they changed this. I should probably delve into the type studies now but I am too lazy...

Stewie Simpson
01-10-2017, 2:35 AM
Kees; there's been a number of design changes to the shape rear tote since Type#1 (1867-1869).

Type #3 (1872-1873); Type #6 (1888-1890); Type #10 (1907-1909); Type #18 (1946-1947).

Reference; Stanley Tools, 2nd Edition, by John Walter.