PDA

View Full Version : Looking for item

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-07-2017, 6:31 PM
Any sources in the US for a SOLID WOOD cube - preferred size is 4" cube, but ranges can be from 4" to 6" in size. Light wood grain that will look decent when laser engraved. This cannot be a craft cube that has been glued together. It needs to have some weight to it that a hollow one would not have.

Get your google fingers ready Bert. :D

Bert Kemp
01-07-2017, 7:06 PM
Fingers ready Mike LOL. But seriously The ones you find on the net seem pretty expensive. Would be easy and cheap to just make your own wouldn't it?:D I would just buy a 4x4 piece of rock maple or beach and cut them to lenght and sand . easy pezzy

Ross Moshinsky
01-07-2017, 7:58 PM
Any sources in the US for a SOLID WOOD cube - preferred size is 4" cube, but ranges can be from 4" to 6" in size. Light wood grain that will look decent when laser engraved. This cannot be a craft cube that has been glued together. It needs to have some weight to it that a hollow one would not have.

Get your google fingers ready Bert. :D

It really depends on what you're looking for. How many "good" faces are you looking for?

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-07-2017, 8:41 PM
Yeah. I know. Posting on a woodworking forum would have an "you can do it easy" response, but unfortunately it's not so easy for me to do on this project. I got roped into doing a favor for someone wanting to thank several people with this item, and one of those people is the LOML. I can hide some quick engraving of the "same old boring engraving supplies" that were shipped to me, but I can't make these cubes without my LOML becoming curious since all our woodworking supplies have been in storage for the last 5 years due to moving.

Ideally it would have 5 good sides. Especially since we are going to have to have this thing on display in our home for some time to come. (Why don't people thank others with some nice cards anymore? LOL)

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-07-2017, 9:17 PM
I think I may have found some via Casey's Wood that I can do some hopefully light sanding on and a quick finish. I'm open to finding other suppliers though.

Tony Lenkic
01-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Mike,

Big Sky Woodcrafters (Montana) may be able to do that for you.

David Somers
01-08-2017, 2:29 AM
How about Dunham Hardwood in Dunlap, or over in Ohio Baird Bros?

Baird does baseball bat blanks so I know they handle at least 3x3 stock and should be able to do larger.

Dunham also seems to have the capacity.

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-08-2017, 4:32 PM
Thanks for the names. I will check them out.

John Lifer
01-08-2017, 5:19 PM
So, your engraving on 5 sides? You are probably going to have issues with end grain on either two sides,or the top.
Unless you veneer (thicker than your engraving depth)

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-08-2017, 6:19 PM
It's been awhile since I engraved end grain, but I fully expect there will be some challenges with it and ridges in the small graphics. I'm planning on using some light layers of powdercoat to give it some darker color instead of fight with any paint fill bleeding into the end grain. A thick coat of veneer is a good idea. Thanks for the input John.