PDA

View Full Version : Examples - Marking Gages - Wheel Type

Eric Brown
01-07-2017, 4:44 PM
The first marking gage to use a wheel type cutter is probably the July 11, 1865 patent by B.T. Currier (#48,663). It uses a beam that contains two individually adjustable wheels. In the patent he says "...which the marking-wheel L turns when used".
A later patent in 1871 by Daniel Webster Simmonds has one large wheel at the end of a wooden beam.

(Photo from DATAMP.ORG)

The one probably easiest to recognize would be the patent of 1888 by L.O. Barrett (#384,413). From what I can tell it was first made by C.E. Jennings and is not in either the 1907 or 1917 catalogs. An example on E-Bay has the original box and the seller says that the larger shaft has calibrations but the smaller one does not. Also, the longer shaft is about 3/8" in diameter while the shorter one is 5/16". It is marked on the end of the stock with the patent date. (Photo by Kathy Donnelly of greatcatalogue - used with permission)

Most Barretts were made by Goodell-Pratt (started using the G-P name in 1898). They mostly made it in a two rod version but single and triple versions exist. All three versions have 5/16" diameter rods and the marking wheels rotate. All rods have graduations on them along with the Goodell-Pratt name. The rods vary in length from 8" to 4" to 3". One way they did not follow the patent is that there should be a recess for one of the marking wheels. The original patent also was just for a two rod version.

The next version of the Barrett was made by the Leavitt Machine Company (and also be the Robbins & Cowles Company). It was patented in Dec. 04, 1894 and while similar to the earlier model, it uses a different clamping mechanism. It also has 11/16" diameter rods, 8" and 4" long each with graduations only on the 8" one. The wheels also rotate.

Stanley had a bunch of models with single or double rods. Many have a rotating wheel on one end and a pin on the other.

The Model 98 is an all metal version with two wheels and two pins. The wheels have a recess to fully retract them. The rods are 6 3/4" long by 5/16" diameter and have graduations.

Lee Valley (Veritas) has several models of wheel type marking gages. Some have a micro-adjust. Most have a 5/16" diameter rod (no graduations) 8" long. These differ from the earlier ones in that the marking wheels do not rotate and the edge is a single bevel. (The earlier ones all rotate and have double bevels.)
The smaller "Pocket Marking Gage" has a 1/4" rod that is 4 1/2" long. The wheel itself is also smaller than the earlier models that were typically .375"
L_V also offer mortise marking wheels that can fit on any gage with 5/16" rods. (Shown on G-P Barrett).

More in next post

Eric Brown
01-07-2017, 4:45 PM
The next gage is by Kevin Glen Drake called the Tite-Mark. It also has a micro-adjust but it works differently from the L-V models. It has a left hand thread that allows a one handed adjustment to be performed. It has a 8" rod (not graduated) that is 5/16" diameter. They also have extra accessories like mortise, double mortise and rod extensions. Also available from Lie-Nielsen in a smaller version called the mini with a 1/4" rod.

Last is a machinist made marking gage that has a 2 3/8" long rod 1/8" diameter. The wheel is solid to the shaft and is .15" in diameter.

Note there are many others out there. Some are cheap knock-offs and some are excellent. An example I don't have is made by Bridge City Tools. It also allows use on curved pieces.

Out of curiosity I checked to see if any of the cutters were interchangeable. Unfortunately the answer is no, not directly. They each have a different type or size of screw. With a little modification some may work, but it may be easiest to use the mortise wheels available from Glen Drake or Lee Valley.

I think my favorite, hands down, is the Kevin Glen Drake Tite-Mark. I plan on getting the mini deluxe from them next.

Mike Brady
01-07-2017, 7:57 PM
I agree with your assessments of the Glen-Drake gauge. It's in a class by itself. The smaller one is also.

It's obscure, but the little LV gauge in stainless that you show is a dandy marker. I'm not sure if they're still made.

Eric Brown
01-07-2017, 8:10 PM
Still available from L-V for only $21.50. I agree with you Mike that it a handy gauge. I found that the smaller the wheel the easier it seems to mark the wood. Probably due to the pressure being on a smaller surface area. I have not noticed much difference between wheels that rotate and ones that are fixed.

Derek Cohen
01-07-2017, 9:09 PM
Here are three different single wheel versions you can purchase: two LV and a Tite-Mark on the right. The stainless steel LV was a bargain at the time. I bought two. No longer available in SS, but are available in brass ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/3.jpg

Incidentally, all these wheels are interchangeable.

There is a double beam mortice gauge from LV ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/BuildingTheDrawers_html_43caa7e8.jpg

And another single beam wheel gauge that I designed and built (how Kinshiro would have made a wheel gauge :) ) ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Two%20New%20Mortice%20and%20Cutting%20Gauges/8_zpsdjorefly.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek