PDA

View Full Version : Can this plane be repaired?

Joe Kasier
01-06-2017, 4:49 PM
And by repaired, I mean by a lay-person :)

A double iron coffin smoother near me for $30, and except for the crack near the iron it is in good condition. The sole looks weird to me, but I think it is paint or gunk build up. I was able to scrape it off with my nail.

The wedge moves freely, but it seems like the plane as shrunk and the iron is wedged in. Will it be strong enough if I put some glue in that crack and then pull the iron out so it will close?

Dave Anderson NH
01-06-2017, 5:35 PM
You have diagnosed the problem correctly Joe. The shrinking body of the plane locked the iron in place and then split the side.

Remove the iron, glue and clamp the sidewall, and after everything is cured shave some wood from the inside of the abutments so the iron moves freely. Alternatively you can shave some steel off the sides of the iron but that is more difficult. A little time with some sandpaper on top of a true flat surface and the sole of the plane should clean up quite nicely.

Brian Henderson
01-06-2017, 6:13 PM
If it's wood, you can fix it. The blade was too tight and as the wood moved, it cracked. Remove the blade, glue the side and make a bit more room for the blade to account for wood movement. Since modern glues are stronger than the wood, you shouldn't have a problem again.

steven c newman
01-06-2017, 6:19 PM
Something like this..
What I had to do to fix an Ohio No.81......both abutments (eyes?) had cracked.

Joe Kasier
01-06-2017, 7:53 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.