PDA

View Full Version : Question on winding sticks

Tony Wilkins
01-05-2017, 9:47 PM
I'm making a pair of winding sticks according to the design/methods found in Paul Seller's videos. My sawing went a bit off and the top of one stick ended up thicker than the other by about 2mm. Is that a problem as long as they're parallel and even height?

Brian Holcombe
01-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Can't imagine it would have any effect.

FWIW, I have a precision granite block, and I like to check my winding sticks on that block to ensure that they're reading correctly. Then I mark two dots where they line up, so that I can line them up in the same fashion every time I use them.

David Eisenhauer
01-05-2017, 10:33 PM
Brian called it, no issue with slightly uneven thickness. Are you going to inlay that 1/8" ebony (or whatever it is) strip along the top edge of one of the sticks? I don't know if all of his ideas are accepted by the rest of the Illuminati, but to my untutored eye he does have some quick, easy hand skills or, at least, he is very practiced at staying in his comfort zone. I use my TS top as a flat top checker for my sticks.

john zulu
01-05-2017, 10:39 PM
I'm making a pair of winding sticks according to the design/methods found in Paul Seller's videos. My sawing went a bit off and the top of one stick ended up thicker than the other by about 2mm. Is that a problem as long as they're parallel and even height?

It won't make ANY different at all AS long it is use as parallels. Even for panels, the thickness is not 100% uniform all over.

Mike Henderson
01-05-2017, 11:08 PM
I put a strip of ebony at the top of my winding sticks and it's good and bad. It all depends on the background. If it's dark, it's hard to line up the sticks. I should make another set and inlay some very light wood at the top so I can work against any color background.

Mike

Tony Wilkins
01-05-2017, 11:12 PM
Brian called it, no issue with slightly uneven thickness. Are you going to inlay that 1/8" ebony (or whatever it is) strip along the top edge of one of the sticks? I don't know if all of his ideas are accepted by the rest of the Illuminati, but to my untutored eye he does have some quick, easy hand skills or, at least, he is very practiced at staying in his comfort zone. I use my TS top as a flat top checker for my sticks.

Im on the fence about the dark inlay. The body of the sticks are walnut and I plan on using some beech I have for the dovetail inlay on either side. I'm leaning towards not having the ebony (or dark) strip on the other stick at least to start.

David Eisenhauer
01-05-2017, 11:34 PM
I've always thought that a light strip is easier for me to find as well. It is hard enough to get my progressive lenses to find the sweet spot for lining up both edges for comparison and the light color stands out better to me.

Rob Luter
01-06-2017, 5:59 AM
I have a silly question regarding winding sticks. How do you pronounce winding? Is it a long I like "Winding my watch" or a short I like "Fly like the wind"?

Stewie Simpson
01-06-2017, 6:13 AM
winding your watch.

Tony Wilkins
01-06-2017, 9:21 AM
winding your watch.

Yep, that is the correct pronunciation.

Brian Holcombe
01-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Similar to how winding your watch means to twist the little knob, if your stock has 'wind' in it, then has some twist.

Tom Stenzel
01-06-2017, 1:26 PM
I have a silly question...

The silly question is the one that wasn't asked. No, your question wasn't silly at all.

I'd only read the word and never had to say it. I never thought about the pronunciation until you asked!

-Tom

Tony Wilkins
01-06-2017, 2:39 PM
Was thinking of using a light colored wood like the beech I have or some maple I was offered on one stick and rather than black ebony going with padauk, Purple Heart, yellow heart or some strongly medium colored wood on the other stick. Thoughts?

Brian Holcombe
01-06-2017, 3:16 PM
OG Vertical grain douglas fir would be very good for winding sticks.

Jon Shank
01-06-2017, 9:25 PM
David, you just answered a question I haven't figured out in the last year. That's when I got the progressive lenses and I've had a hard time with lining up all kinds of things. Geez, it seems obvious now, but it just never clicked. Thank you sir!

Jon

david charlesworth
01-07-2017, 4:21 AM
I use slightly recessed white, polished polycarbonate sheet from the sign makers.

This is a much better reflector than the traditional materials.

David

Phil Mueller
01-07-2017, 7:30 AM
Tony, that's what i did. Used walnut and maple.

Rob Luter
01-07-2017, 9:21 AM
winding your watch.

Thanks for the clarification!

Nick Stokes
01-07-2017, 12:03 PM
And don't worry much about the things. Luckily, they're made of wood... and luckily, you're a woodworker... and you know how to shape wood... If they become out of parallel down the road... you're a woodworker...