PDA

View Full Version : temporary glue?

Thomas Pratt
01-05-2017, 3:31 PM
I have a project where I want to temporally glue a piece together so I can make some adjustments. Then I want to take it back apart and then glue it up with real glue. (It is in a tight place where I can't use clamps). Is there anything out there that will clean out the temporary glue so something like Titebond will hold the wood joint?

Myk Rian
01-05-2017, 3:52 PM
Can you use tape instead?

Mel Fulks
01-05-2017, 4:03 PM
I use two or three small pieces of heavy brown paper with a drop of yellow glue on both sides. Joint will come apart easily ,then scrape off paper. Oh,MARK location before removing paper the piece.

Rich Engelhardt
01-05-2017, 4:09 PM
Elmer's School glue.
I use it all the time for temporary glue ups.

Use a piece of newspaper between the two pieces of wood & use School glue. A sharp blade is used to separate the joint when you're done & the glue washes away with water.

You can use this method to glue extensions of small pieces you run through a planer, bases to work you turn on a lathe, any place you need to have two pieces of wood joined together that you later want to separate.

I'm really surprised this isn't more well known. Back when I was in high school (late 60's), it was taught to us in basic shop 1.

Bryan Lisowski
01-05-2017, 5:35 PM
I would use double sided tape or the luthier CA glue trick. Basically you take 2 pieces of masking tape and adhere the tape together with ca glue. Peels off easier than double sided tape, plus usually no residue.

Lee Schierer
01-05-2017, 6:53 PM
I routinely use double sided tape for temporary assembly, holding pieces to jigs, holding duplicate pieces together and even for holding templates to work pieces while routing. You can also use hot melt glue and is is pretty easy to remove from wood.

Art Mann
01-05-2017, 6:56 PM
I have always used hot melt glue with cheap adhesive material for that purpose.

Tim Bueler
01-05-2017, 7:47 PM
Elmer's School glue.
I use it all the time for temporary glue ups.

Use a piece of newspaper between the two pieces of wood & use School glue. A sharp blade is used to separate the joint when you're done & the glue washes away with water.

You can use this method to glue extensions of small pieces you run through a planer, bases to work you turn on a lathe, any place you need to have two pieces of wood joined together that you later want to separate.

I'm really surprised this isn't more well known. Back when I was in high school (late 60's), it was taught to us in basic shop 1.

Rich, it's not more well known because those of us who are old enough to remember it are also old enough to have forgotten it. :D That's a great reminder though. Works great and it's simple.

I've used the CA glue between pieces of tape method (didn't know that was a luthier thing) and that works well too.

John K Jordan
01-05-2017, 8:10 PM
I like this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TUBW8T6

It is very thin. Intended to be permanent, it works fine for temporary holding by using just small pieces.

JKJ

Eric Commarato
01-06-2017, 12:44 PM
hot glue it

John K Jordan
01-06-2017, 3:33 PM
BTW, I used this tape just a little while ago. I needed to add a temporary small raised table with zero clearance to make some delicate bandsaw cuts on an oddly shaped object. I cut a slot in a piece of 4/4 scrap and used two pieces of the thin tape to hold it securely to the cast iron table. Worked like a charm and popped up with a screwdriver when done.

JKJ

Brian Henderson
01-06-2017, 4:08 PM
hot glue it

That's what I was going to say. Fast, cheap, holds well and releases quickly.

Jeff Leimberger
01-07-2017, 9:38 AM
Not necessarily easier than the other suggestions, but the ultimate "temporary" glue is hide glue - if you want it to be temporary. You could use small amount to hold things and a little water and heat would release it. You can get the Franklin liquid hide glue at the big box stores.

Dean Baumgartner2
01-07-2017, 11:27 AM
The paper and school glue trick is the one I used. Again learned in HS first woodshop class 40 years or so ago. Still works well.