PDA

View Full Version : USA based Saw and plane makers

Joe Kasier
01-05-2017, 1:34 PM
I'm looking to spend some Christmas money on either a new saw or wooden plane.

Rather than start another "What X should I get" thread, I was wondering if there are any recommendations for USA based Saw makers or traditional wooden bodied plane makers.

Jim Koepke
01-05-2017, 2:31 PM
My experience is with only one USA based saw maker, Ron Bontz.

http://www.bontzsawworks.net

In another thread the results of making a handle for a Ron Bontz dovetail saw kit is shown:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?249983

After making a saw handle, it is easy to see why the price of the parts sans handle is such a tempting way to go:

http://www.bontzsawworks.net/diy-parts-kits/

A good handle takes a few hours to make.

jtk

Megan Fitzpatrick
01-05-2017, 3:45 PM
For handsaws, in addition to Ron Bontz, Wenzloff & Sons (if you can find them – hard to come by these days), Gramercy Tools (Tools for Working Wood), Lie-Nielsen, Bad Axe. For traditional wooden planes, Steve Voigt (who is likely to read this), J. Wilding Planemaker, Old Street Tool (formerly Clark & Williams) ...and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

paul cottingham
01-05-2017, 4:02 PM
I have a Bad Axe sash saw. Absolutely my favourite saw amongst my new saws (I'm an old saw junky) hands down. If I was looking to buy several saws for my money, and didn't care how traditional they looked, I think you can't beat the LV carcass and dovetail saws for the money.

Joe Kasier
01-05-2017, 4:40 PM
I have just over 350. Looking these over, I'll probably get a LN and just save the money for another purchase. Thanks everyone!

Patrick Walsh
01-05-2017, 4:55 PM
If you want to spend that $$$ on a saw i highly recomend BadAxe. Unless a tool is solely utilitarian to you then i suppose the LV is probably a good choice.

Joe Kasier
01-05-2017, 5:16 PM
I want a saw 14" long that can cut 3.5" deep.

The woodworker in me wants a custom made saw. The practical dad in me says get the LN. it is half the price, and use the savings to get something else.

Decisions....

Peter Pedisich
01-05-2017, 7:40 PM
I LOVE my Bad Axe sash and dovetail saws but the practical dad is to be respected!

Chris Hachet
01-05-2017, 8:35 PM
I want a saw 14" long that can cut 3.5" deep.

The woodworker in me wants a custom made saw. The practical dad in me says get the LN. it is half the price, and use the savings to get something else.

Decisions....

I have LN, Bontz, and Bad Axe saws...the LN will be fine.

Good luck!

Joe Kasier
01-05-2017, 9:10 PM
My experience is with only one USA based saw maker, Ron Bontz.

http://www.bontzsawworks.net

In another thread the results of making a handle for a Ron Bontz dovetail saw kit is shown:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?249983

After making a saw handle, it is easy to see why the price of the parts sans handle is such a tempting way to go:

http://www.bontzsawworks.net/diy-parts-kits/

A good handle takes a few hours to make.

jtk

I have been looking at these kits, and I am seriously considering it!

Chris Hachet
01-05-2017, 9:18 PM
I LOVE my Bad Axe sash and dovetail saws but the practical dad is to be respected!

have
Ohhh yes...and since I am not a commercial woodworker...i treasure every night that I got to the wood shop and don't to fire up the table saw or miter saw....

Ron Bontz
01-05-2017, 9:42 PM
I have had my curious hands on just about every maker's, listed above, saw. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above listed makers. I have a couple of Wenzloff, and Lee Valley saws, myself. Just because. :) The Lee Valley is IMHO the best bang for the buck. The Lie Nielsen or Adria next, if you like the handle and feel. I didn't see Blackburns tools above. Issac makes a nice saw from what I understand as well, but don't know if he is taking any orders or not. Beyond that, much is dependent upon budget and preference. So I will just go back to my little hamster cage and chase that evasive carrot. :) Best wishes.

Jim Koepke
01-05-2017, 10:52 PM
I have been looking at these kits, and I am seriously considering it!

If you go that route you might want to make a practice handle first from scrap. It can be used to help determine the size you will want and can also help with what hang angle works for you.

There is nothing like having a perfect fitting saw handle.

Mine were made based on the pattern available at Gramercy tools. Here is the post on my first handle making project:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180712

jtk

Patrick Chase
01-06-2017, 12:32 AM
If I was looking to buy several saws for my money, and didn't care how traditional they looked, I think you can't beat the LV carcass and dovetail saws for the money.

He said "USA-based". You can't recommend LV until we annex them...

Eric Rimel
01-06-2017, 5:02 PM
Adria? I wasn't aware Eddie was still making saws.

Matt Bainton
01-06-2017, 7:07 PM
Don't forget Caleb James: www.calebjamesmaker.com. His work is impeccable, based on Instagram and other woodworker accolades I've seen heaped on his planes and spokeshaves.

Tim Kenney OR
01-15-2017, 10:05 PM
A few people have mentioned Wenzloff and Sons. All the websites I have checked (wenzloff, lee valley, and the best things) are all completely out of ALL Wenzloff saws. I know they are a small family business, but man do I want one haha. It's torture. I live in Oregon and want to support the Oregon company.

Jim Koepke
01-15-2017, 10:16 PM
Howdy Tim and Welcome to the Creek. My abode is right across the river from Oregon. Supporting local businesses is a favorite cause of mine if they can fill my needs in a timely manner.

jtk

Tim Kenney OR
01-15-2017, 11:02 PM
Thanks Jim! It's good to be part of Creek now. Any specific favorite Pacific NW toolmakers that you like to support?

Malcolm Schweizer
01-16-2017, 1:08 AM
A few people have mentioned Wenzloff and Sons. All the websites I have checked (wenzloff, lee valley, and the best things) are all completely out of ALL Wenzloff saws. I know they are a small family business, but man do I want one haha. It's torture. I live in Oregon and want to support the Oregon company.

The last post on his website says he was headed for open heart surgery. I know he has had health issues in the past. I ordered two saw plates from him a few years ago and they took nearly a year to receive- and those were plates with no handles.

Tim Kenney OR
01-16-2017, 1:30 AM
Good to know. Has anyone here gotten a Wenzloff saw in the past year? That post about heart surgery is exactly a year old.

Jim Koepke
01-16-2017, 1:49 AM
Thanks Jim! It's good to be part of Creek now. Any specific favorite Pacific NW toolmakers that you like to support?

Well, there is one or two in NW California, Ron Hock and Glenn Drake. If only my wallet could afford Bridge City Tools. Some of those felt nice in my hands.

Do you live near Portland?

There are a few SMC members in the Portland - SW Washington area.

jtk

Tim Kenney OR
01-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Thank you. I will look those two up. Bridge City tools are works of art. Very very expensive art.

I lived in Portland for years but now live a few hours south of there. I'm going to the Lie Nielsen event this weekend in Portland, can't wait!

Joe Kasier
01-16-2017, 11:10 AM
Howdy Tim and Welcome to the Creek. My abode is right across the river from Oregon. Supporting local businesses is a favorite cause of mine if they can fill my needs in a timely manner.

jtk

I'm just north of both of you - Seattle area

Mike Brady
01-16-2017, 11:30 AM
If Adria is still in business I can find no recent references to a place of business. They were not technically U.S. made anyway (Canada).

Tim Kenney OR
01-16-2017, 11:32 AM
Awesome! Represent the Pacific NW.

Jim Koepke
01-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Thank you. I will look those two up. Bridge City tools are works of art. Very very expensive art.

I lived in Portland for years but now live a few hours south of there. I'm going to the Lie Nielsen event this weekend in Portland, can't wait!

I have been thinking of going, but likely won't be able to make it.

jtk

Jeff Heath
01-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Good to know. Has anyone here gotten a Wenzloff saw in the past year? That post about heart surgery is exactly a year old.

I used to communicate with Mike, but that was quite a few years ago. I had heard that he was recovering from surgery, but have no update past that. I certainly hope that he is doing well, healthwise. I have 3 of Mike's saws, and they are excellent. However, I bought them years ago before the explosion of popularity. I was wanting to add 2 more saws last year from him, but nobody had what I was looking for, and emails to Mike went un-returned.

I hear Bad Axe makes a great saw from more than one person who owns one, but at more than double the cost of a Wenzloff, I decided to rehab. 2 vintage Disston saws....one from 1927-ish, and a rare #7 that dates in the 1870's range....the plate is amazing. I had to make a new handle, as the original was being held together with spit, bubble gum, bailing wire and 3 nails.

Allan Hill
01-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Not sure how much you are willing to spend, but Ron Brese makes phenomenal infill planes.

BTW, LV still has Wenzloff Rip Dovetail saws in stock. I have a couple of Wenzloff panel saws and full size saws. They are very, very good.

Stephen Rosenthal
01-18-2017, 7:07 PM
Jeff,

I have two Bad Axe saws, 16" tenon filed rip and 14" sash filed crosscut. They are the best back saws I've ever used and cost about the same as current Wenzloff's. I have an Adria dovetail saw that I may part with and replace it with a Bad Axe Stiletto dovetail. I've tried Lie Nielsens at their woodworking shows and there is no comparison (and I love LN planes). You can order a specifically sized handle to fit your hand in a variety of woods. Mark will work with you in all aspects of the build. He responds within a day via email and even sends you his personal cell number in the event you want to discuss the saw at length. Plus you'll get your saw within 5-7 weeks.

John Sanford
01-19-2017, 2:25 PM
He said "USA-based". You can't recommend LV until we annex them...

We annexed them during World War One, while all their boys were over in Europe. It's just more convenient for everybody if we keep up the pretense that they're independent. :p

Mike Brady
01-19-2017, 7:02 PM
Ron Brese seems to be on hiatus or is phasing out of the custom plane business. His excellent web page is operating, so you can contact him directly down in GA to learn the details.