PDA

View Full Version : Ten Inch Brass Tube Pen Barrel Mold

James Combs
01-04-2017, 7:42 PM
I wanted to cast pen barrels but use 10inch long brass tubes which I could then cut to pen barrel length requirements depending on the pen. I made one from 5/8" ID PVC tubing.

The saw kerf and pour holes were added after everything else was done, fitting, threading, etc.

The PVC tube is threaded 7/8-14 on both ends. The white blocks are nylon and are female threaded 7/8-14 to accept the PVC.
The short piece of PVC on the outside of the blocks is only there to make the blocks wider. If I had had 1 to 1-1/4" nylon I would not have need them. The are also threaded 7/8-14 to make them part of the nylon. They are lined with smaller glued in PVC which is thread 1/2"-20 to accept the "plugs" that plug the ends of the brass tubes to prevent resin from entering into the tube. Again if I had had thicker nylon I would have threaded it on onside with the 7/8-14 and on the other with the 1/2"-20 but you use what you have.
350799 350800

This pic is prior to the pen mode but shows all the components disassembled. It was taken just after my first cast. There is a casting inside the mold. The black on the ends are oring seals that are place between the PVC and the plug holders to prevent fouling the 7/8-14 threads.

I have made 3 castings with it in the pressure chamber I made for it (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?250521-My-New-Pressure-Chamber) and it has worked well. Had to make some minor changes to the plugs to prevent casting resin material into the 1/2"-20 female threads and had to add extensions, the metal pens, to the plugs to allow for easier loading of the tube but as a concept it worked well.

All comments are appreciated.

Grant Wilkinson
02-09-2017, 11:16 AM
I've done castings of individual pen blanks, using store-bought silicone molds, but your idea to make long blanks that you can cut into length is interesting. The way that you achieved it is really innovative. Nice work, James.