PDA

View Full Version : Jessem sliding table for table saw

Dan Forman
10-10-2005, 3:30 PM
Has anyone had a chance to try or see at a show the new Jessem sliding table for table saws? I guess they just unveiled it at the Vegas show.

Here is a link to a pic and description. http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page102.html

Dan

frank shic
10-10-2005, 5:22 PM
wow! looks pretty rugged! it's a bit pricier than the dewalt or the delta but still less than the excalibur but i'll bet it'll work MUCH better than any crosscut sled! thanks for the update! :D

Dave Malen
10-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I do own the Jessem excel router table with the master fence. Judging from that I would venture to say that the sliding table is well designed and will work flawlessly.

Dave

Rick Shelton
10-10-2005, 11:22 PM
I saw one of these at the local Rockler. It has a VERY smooth action, though it doesn't strike me as something that could sustain cutting large sheet goods day in, day out. Pressing down on the outside edge showed quite a deflection and the alignment of the fence to the tablesaw wasn't very good either. Could have been the installation at the store, can't tell you how many times I've gone to a store and had to tell them they had something installed incorrectly. :confused:

Thomas Walker
10-11-2005, 1:10 AM
It looks very interesting & Jessem has beautiful manufacturing, but early adopters really run the risk of taking one for the team! Jessem was supposed to release this a couple of years ago & there were some pictures in a woodworking magazine from a trade show back then. It never came out. The new pictures show that it has been completely redesigned.

Why? Who knows ... but it would probably be very smart to give it 6 months to let the QC check out. Or at least buy from a place with a good return policy -- like Rockler.

A couple of downsides ... you have to cut or move your rails and you lose almost all your rip capacity on the left side of the blade, you have to remove the left side auxiliary table, and while the fence is very long, there's not much table support on the left.

Pluses are that it is made to adapt to most saws (as opposed to the DeWalt), it is supposed to have a 36" crosscut capacity (DeWalt & Jet are around 30"), and it supposed to slide smooth as silk. Oh, and the price -- over $500.

I want one!! :-)

Bill Fields
10-11-2005, 1:10 AM
Having just installed the Incra miter guide plus the Incra miter xpress, I was curious about the Jessem sliding table. The price for the Jessem is only double what I paid for the Incra set-up--but the price looks too low/cheap.The Incra thing is going together well--a bit of trial and error.Have not used it -- got it today.BILL FIELDS

Dan Forman
10-11-2005, 1:51 AM
Apparently they are selling well, Brian at Tool-Corral said he hasn't been able to take one out of the box yet, all three shipments have been pre-sold before they arrived. I think he did say they had been working on this for a number of years. Think I'll have to wait for at leasty one first hand account before committing to one. I hate the thought of chopping off my unifence! :eek:

Dan

Donnie Raines
10-11-2005, 8:54 AM
Why yes I have. My friend allowed we to try it out on their saw.....what a wonderful unit!!! Contact Chris Schwarz at www.Popwood.com and select contact the staff. He will fill you in on all of the details.

Brent Smith
10-11-2005, 4:57 PM
On another forum there was a message from someone who had bought it. He said the bolt pattern was not correct for Delta saws. They were set at 10" and a bit instead of the 11" needed on Delta. He has a left tilt, so he also had a problem with the table clearing the top of his motor cover.

Both the supplier and Jessem are working with him to make it fit. I think, as Thomas said, I'll wait a bit before considering it. I'm also, as Dan pointed out, not crazy about cutting my unifence and, as Thomas said, losing ripping capacity to the left. All in all though, given the quality of my Jessem router station, I'm considering it as a future purchase.

Brent

Thomas Walker
10-11-2005, 11:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that guy had a problem with a "right-tilt" saw that had the motor cover on the left side of the cabinet.

Steve Schoene
10-11-2005, 11:56 PM
On my right tilt unisaw the blade leans toward the motor cover.

Dan Forman
10-12-2005, 3:15 AM
I have a left tilt Unisaw and the motor is on the left side, right under the extension wing. I'll get a hold of Christopher Schwartz as Donnie suggested.

Dan

Brent Smith
10-12-2005, 5:57 AM
Thomas,

You're right. He had a 36-655 tilting arbour. I didn't know the model number and just assumed it was a left tilt unisaw with the motor cover on the left.

Brent