PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck System pump wiring question

Ricc Havens
01-04-2017, 4:40 PM
Hey electrical wizards I need a little help in wiring my vac pum for my vac chuck system

I have a Thomas Pump Mod#107CAB18. Got it off craigslist from an old engineer for $40. Says it was used only a couple times to make a test equipment prototype.

It has two white wires coming out of the housing as shown below. Thomas's website shows both wires as "line" wires. There is no ground and no neutral.

I want to put a regular 110v light switch in a box mounted near my lathe headstock. I picture in my mind a cord coming from the outlet to the pump with the cord continuing to the switch. But, I'm a little unsure of the wiring. The cord from the wall outlet will have the normal green ground, black line and white neutral. So, how do I wire it to the switch and pump if the pump only has two line wires so the switch controls the pump power?

Thanks!!
Ricc Havens
Elkhart, IN

James Combs
01-04-2017, 6:32 PM
Grab yourself a black magic marker and color one black, presto no more confusion. :-) Seriously it makes no difference which one you tie to the line wire or to the neutral, it is probably a double insulated motor meaning either white wire can be used as the line wire especially since there is no apparent ground wire. If you would like to have it grounded find a nut that fits the end of that long bolt that shows some threads sticking out and attach a ground wire under the nut, but it really doesn't need it except for maybe static electricity reasons if it is mounted on a non metallic base. With one lead colored black and a ground coming from the motor it should be a piece of cake adding a switch to it. Hope this helps. I am sure you will get other responses if you are unsure about my suggestions.

Edit:
BTW that is a great deal on that pump. There are several with that model number on eBay starting at $180

Ricc Havens
01-05-2017, 9:54 AM
THANKS!!

Ricc