PDA

View Full Version : Wall Mounted Media Cabinet

Brian Holcombe
01-04-2017, 9:08 AM
...For real this time, this one is actually going onto a wall :D

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/2017/01/04/wall-mounted-media-console%EF%BB%BF/

Enjoy, I look forward to your comments.

William Fretwell
01-04-2017, 9:50 AM
I love French cleats; strong & can be hidden. Did you cut holes for the wires yet? :)

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2017, 10:23 AM
I just love your work: Clean lines, clean joints, clean workbench... just clean all over! :-) Those dovetails are perfect. Well done. By the way, I'm not much of a fan of the Klausz style shoulder vise, but I love the way you executed it in your bench.

Christopher Charles
01-04-2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting Brian. When I've done french cleats in the past, I've aimed to have them flush to the wall. A reveal will be excellent for hiding slight variations in the wall, i.e., if it is not perfectly flat and will give the piece a sense of lightness because it will 'float'. Any other rationale for the reveal?

Looking forward to seeing!

Brian Holcombe
01-04-2017, 12:45 PM
I love French cleats; strong & can be hidden. Did you cut holes for the wires yet? :)

Thanks William! I will create s pass through for wires when installing the back. The good news is that it will not involve one of those plastic jobs often seen for such a need. The bad news; mine won't be quite so simple to install.

I just love your work: Clean lines, clean joints, clean workbench... just clean all over! :-) Those dovetails are perfect. Well done. By the way, I'm not much of a fan of the Klausz style shoulder vise, but I love the way you executed it in your bench.

Thanks Malcolm! I have a love hate with the shoulder vise, the eventual next bench will not include one.

Thanks for posting Brian. When I've done french cleats in the past, I've aimed to have them flush to the wall. A reveal will be excellent for hiding slight variations in the wall, i.e., if it is not perfectly flat and will give the piece a sense of lightness because it will 'float'. Any other rationale for the reveal?

Looking forward to seeing!

My pleasure! That is indeed the purpose. I plan to detail some specific thoughts on wall mounting the cleat along with the interaction between the two pieces.

Chris Hachet
01-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Absolutely gorgeous work as always! Also, si that the Lie Nielsen tail vise on your bench? How has it held up for you in terms of sagging and work holding?

Brian Holcombe
01-04-2017, 4:03 PM
Thanks Chris! Works pretty well, no complaints.

Phil Mueller
01-04-2017, 4:16 PM
Very nice, Brian. Is that a piece of firewood you're using with your holdfasts?

Brian Holcombe
01-04-2017, 4:20 PM
Thanks Phil! Hahaha, that poor mallet has seen much better days. I used it to uncrate my bandsaw and the damned thing split off about 1/4 section of it.

Not to worry, I have designs to build my own once my gumi logs dry down to a decent point.

Tom Vanzant
01-04-2017, 4:27 PM
Phil, did you mean the caul with the live edge or the mallet?

Phil Mueller
01-04-2017, 6:20 PM
Ha...I actually meant the live edge caul...I would never, ever, poke fun at Brian's tools. But, I was tempted to say something like, "hey look, Brian even squares up his firewood" :)

Brian Holcombe
01-04-2017, 6:51 PM
Now I've shown how self conscious I am of that mallet. :D

Im tempted to wrap copper bands around the one that I make.