PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Bubinga, my dear friend

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2017, 12:27 AM
Bubinga was added to the CITES protected list, and apparently this will include not just the wood, but products made from it. It has been a favorite of mine, and I knew this day would come, as it has been so popular with woodworking tool handles and had really gained use the past few years. It is a necessary thing to protect our resources. This is why I never throw away any scraps of wood. It is a precious resource.

In loving memory, here is the Robert August wood surfboard prototype that I built as part of a joint venture with Wood Surfboard Supply and Robert August Surfboards. Sadly, I didn't get any video after shooting it with clear. This was after a first coat of epoxy and my first chance to see her wetted out. The red stripes are Bubinga. She was a beauty.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owxHr32JHz0

Van Huskey
01-04-2017, 4:15 AM
Sad day, but things like this must happen.

Cool board, are there any good breaks in the USVI?

Nick Decker
01-04-2017, 8:21 AM
Does this mean that dealers who still have Bubinga in stock cannot sell it, or just that no more can be harvested?

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2017, 8:34 AM
We have some nice reef breaks if you don't mind risking getting drug over beds of elkhorn coral. Hull Bay is the best known. There are some offshore breaks along various cays. Having a boat opens up your options.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2017, 8:35 AM
Does this mean that dealers who still have Bubinga in stock cannot sell it, or just that no more can be harvested?

They can sell remaining stock but cannot import any more. Heads up- the ban includes existing items made with bubinga, so those Veritas planes with bubinga handles- get em while you still can.

Nick Decker
01-04-2017, 9:50 AM
Well, I guess there's a reason bubinga landed on the list. I know it's my favorite exotic to work with.

Charlie Fox
01-04-2017, 9:56 AM
wow. just wow. as an old surfer and acquaintance of Mr. August i am particularly appreciative of this work. well done!

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Well, I guess there's a reason bubinga landed on the list. I know it's my favorite exotic to work with.

Yes, I am sad, but it's a necessary evil. I had always worried about where Bubinga was being supplied from. I am very careful to check out my suppliers, but from time to time I have bought Bubinga on eBay. I always imagine some bulldozer operation in Africa, plowing trees down by the droves and destroying the land, but always hope for some guy picking out single trees selectively and cutting them down, and then planting more. That's what I hope, but I'm sure the first scenario is probably more likely.

wow. just wow. as an old surfer and acquaintance of Mr. August i am particularly appreciative of this work. well done!

Thanks. That was probably my favorite build. That bubinga had a beautiful swirl of chocolate colors in it, and pictures just don't do it justice. Also I love the contrast of Bubinga, Peruvian Walnut, and Flamed Maple together. That board went to the Sacred Craft show in California and unfortunately Mr. August wasn't there, but his son was and really loved the board. His son looks exactly like him and was a very nice guy.

Larry Edgerton
01-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Have to get by with Padauk. Nice work, wondered what you did down there in all that sunshine.

On the subject of Padauk, if you are in need of some purple wood that will hold the purple color, treat Padauk with acid. I accidentally figured that out. I made a thermopane window with a carving of a tree in between the glass and the body of the tree was Padauk. I was trying some acid catalyzed finish and when I came back to see if the carving was dry the Padauk portion was purple as purple could be, more so than fresh planed purpleheart. It stayed purple, something purpleheart will not do.

doug williams
01-04-2017, 11:47 AM
If you don't mind, what kind of acid was it. Thanks

Larry Edgerton
01-04-2017, 11:52 AM
If you don't mind, what kind of acid was it. Thanks

Sherwin Williams acid catalist. What specific type of acid I do not know.

Rob Damon
01-04-2017, 12:37 PM
Still for sale but it is recommended to be regulated internationally. See second title section on page 3.
Second paragraph on page 3 puts some blame on the Chinese for its increased use there as a substitute for Hongmu.

https://cites.org/sites/default/files/eng/cop/17/InfDocs/E-CoP17-Inf-77.pdf

Mike Cutler
01-04-2017, 3:29 PM
Good thing I ordered extra boards when I put down Bubinga flooring in our kitchen.
I still have some nice thick, wide, Bubinga boards in the shop. I'll save them for something special.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-04-2017, 3:44 PM
Good thing I ordered extra boards when I put down Bubinga flooring in our kitchen.
I still have some nice thick, wide, Bubinga boards in the shop. I'll save them for something special.

Wow, let's see a picture of that floor!

Rich Riddle
01-04-2017, 9:26 PM
Hogue made many grips from Bubinga.

Jim Becker
01-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Bubunga is a lovely wood species. I've only used it once and unfortunately had a very bad reaction to the dust, so it's out of my woodworking life anyway, but it's always sad to learn that any species of any flora or fauna is endangered and required strict protection as a result.

Andrew Hughes
01-04-2017, 10:06 PM
Same here I am very allergic to Bulbinga.I paid a high price for the lust of working that Exoctic.
Made this step stool never could sell it at any of my shows.

John Sincerbeaux
01-05-2017, 12:37 AM
Great board!
Ive seen a lot of boards but I have never seen a surfboard with Abalone inlay. Very nice.

Dave Stuve
01-05-2017, 2:10 AM
That's a really nice step stool, Andrew! It looks fairly thick, I assume about 1"?

Keith Hankins
01-05-2017, 9:17 AM
I have a bunch of bubinga veneer. Might be worth someting :)

John K Jordan
01-05-2017, 10:19 AM
They can sell remaining stock but cannot import any more. Heads up- the ban includes existing items made with bubinga, so those Veritas planes with bubinga handles- get em while you still can.

I hate to be spreading doom but the writing is on the wall. It can only get worse with the population increasing, every single person wanting income and housing, more land cleared, beautiful exotics in increasing demand by the affluent in the world (us)... From the Wood Database, and there have been more species added recently:
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/restricted-and-endangered-wood-species/

They include this note:
"Jan 2, 2017 update: Coming up at the beginning of 2017, there are a few big changes set to go into effect on the CITES appendices. Most notably, the entire Dalbergia genus (all true rosewoods) will be on Appendix II. Also, Bubinga will be listed under Appendix II, and appears that this will also include finished products made from the wood as well."

And once the species hits the most restrictive Appendix even things made decades ago from these woods (and look-a-likes) can be confiscated by border inspectors without the proper (and almost unattainable documentation). Check out the panic on the guitar forums.

I probably need to put my cocobolo, brazilian rosewood, bubinga, and ebony in a big safe.

I think we better learn to love domestic hardwoods. No, wait, with the blights, bugs, and fungi.... Maybe we better learn to love plastics. No, wait, running out of oil...

JKJ

Yonak Hawkins
01-05-2017, 10:41 AM
It can only get worse with the population increasing....
JKJ

I hate to say it, John, but world over-population will bring much greater problems to our planet than scarcity of some woods. It's probably the biggest, most pervasive problem we face. Why can't we come together and do something about it ?

Malcolm Schweizer
01-05-2017, 4:02 PM
I hate to say it, John, but world over-population will bring much greater problems to our planet than scarcity of some woods. It's probably the biggest, most pervasive problem we face. Why can't we come together and do something about it ?

What do we do- start killing folks? :-)

John K Jordan
01-05-2017, 5:49 PM

Absolutely, and I see no quick solution. Wood will be the least of our problems as we face food shortages, poisoned water, infrastructure overload and collapse, massive increases in hate and terror attacks, roving gangs, increased homelessness, even more people turning to drugs to escape, viruses, plagues, political corruption at all levels... Depressing so we tend not to thing about it. At least there will always be kind and moral people.

Perhaps the population issue will be moderated in ways we can't guess. Look at what is or may be happening related to the zika virus. Just one article: http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0421-klein-zika-population-drop-20160421-story.html

JKJ

Yonak Hawkins
01-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Malcolm, there are myriad solutions, only beginning with birth control. There are very tough choices ahead for us, but the alternative is hardship and heartbreak, a coming disaster for our progeny, as John says. It sounds grim and it is, I'm sorry to say.

Mel Fulks
01-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Hadn't heard anything about "overpopulation" in a long time. It's back? If it is back and real do we blame good health ?
Health problems certainly kept population down. Old travel journals are full of comments like "many are dying here, leaving in the morning". I like the absense of polio, tuberculosis , smallpox, common deaths from flu. I remember many tv
game shows with contestants try to win an iron lung.

Charlie Fox
01-07-2017, 1:40 PM
just went out and scored a little for investment purposes... ;-)

shop still had about 20 similar planks, suspect they wont last long

Patrick Walsh
01-09-2017, 8:08 PM
My name is Patrick. I have a lumber problem, a real bad lumber problem..

I hope this thread is not a false alarm.

I get pretty OCD about certain things. I already had a nice stash of about 100bf of 8/4 babing. I purchased it maybe three years ago now and have yet to have the hear to cut into it.

Since this thread was posted i have been incessantly thinking about a pile of Babinga i noticed a couple weeks ago when making another purchase for work at a local specialty lumber yard. Money is tight at the moment or i would just go purchase every good board in the pile.

Anyway i have been trying my best to stay away as the $$$ adds up quick when dealing with babinga. I had to return to said lumber yard today "again for work purposes". Four hundred bucks later i had three boards to show for my hard earned cash. I also purchased about 9bf of garbage African Mahogany to finish a tool cabinet i started this past weekend.

The bad news is as soon as i got the lumber home and into my shop i hit it with some DA. Instantly i had that buyers remorse all us wood hoarders get when we realise we did not purchase enough of said beautiful lumber.

More bad news, i have to go back to the same lumber yard tomorrow to sort through a pack of QS hard maple for a work project. I am pretty sure my weeks wages will all be in babinga. I'm also pretty sure this is the last thing i should eb spending my money on right now. Oh well no kids so only i suffer...

Jim Becker
01-09-2017, 8:20 PM
Sure, Patrick...heading to your "dealer" every day for more, um...yea...what...um...bubinga. Sure... ;) :D :D

Patrick Walsh
01-09-2017, 9:05 PM
Its beauty is intoxicating..

I just spent 30 minutes looking at waterfall figured slabs that range from$900 to $15000. I really would like a nice chunk of waterfall for my collection. I think i might just have to deal with want in this case as im kinda a carpenter on a beer budget with champain taste...

Sure, Patrick...heading to your "dealer" every day for more, um...yea...what...um...bubinga. Sure... ;) :D :D

John K Jordan
01-09-2017, 9:13 PM
You must be a woodturner if you name your llama Bubinga. Seriously.

A woman brought her son have a custom magic wand made for his birthday. While looking around she picked up a piece of wood.

She: "What kind of wood is this?"
Me: "Bubinga."
She: "That would be a great name for an animal!"

I thought hmm..., and my little 1-month-old guy got the name Bubinga. It has a nice ring to it.

Sometimes I call him "BubBub" but NEVER "Bubba"
He's bigger now:

JKJ

Patrick Walsh
01-09-2017, 9:36 PM
That llama is pretty babingaie even for for a llama ;)

You must be a woodturner if you name your llama Bubinga. Seriously.

A woman brought her son have a custom magic wand made for his birthday. While looking around she picked up a piece of wood.

She: "What kind of wood is this?"
Me: "Bubinga."
She: "That would be a great name for an animal!"

I thought hmm..., and my little 1-month-old guy got the name Bubinga. It has a nice ring to it.

Sometimes I call him "BubBub" but NEVER "Bubba"
He's bigger now:

JKJ

John K Jordan
01-09-2017, 9:48 PM
That llama is pretty babingaie even for for a llama ;)

All I need now is to learn how to pronounce that and use it three times in sentences. People will be so in awe of my sophisticatancy.

Patrick Walsh
01-09-2017, 9:57 PM
I tried to spell it a different way and i deleted it. It did not read in a very politically correct manner.

All I need now is to learn how to pronounce that and use it three times in sentences. People will be so in awe of my sophisticatancy.

Mel Fulks
01-09-2017, 10:02 PM
I see a market ready for bubinga "contact paper" ,which would actually be a little thicker than the veneer.

Larry Edgerton
01-10-2017, 6:27 AM
What is it a foot currently. I have about 200 feet of 4/4. Not going to sell, just curious.

Patrick Walsh
01-10-2017, 7:02 AM
$13 and change..

What is it a foot currently. I have about 200 feet of 4/4. Not going to sell, just curious.

Patrick Walsh
01-11-2017, 9:22 PM
I just cat get enough, i just cant get enough.

Yet again it happened. I found myself driving towards the lumber yard post work. The whole time guilt ridden like i was doing something bad.

I purchased another 20bf of 4/4. I found two other 8/4 boards i already know i will be back for. One is 13'x13"x8/4. I gotta take the company truck with racks just to get the piece home. My little 6' bed just wont cut it.

In the picture bellow the middle two racks comprise my collection. This bubinga bug has hot me hard his month. I think it may require a intervention of sorts to get me to stop.

Jim Becker
01-11-2017, 9:27 PM
Um...there's still space on that rack, Patrick... :D :D :D

Patrick Walsh
01-11-2017, 9:43 PM
Uhm not really.

Maybe for some short stuff. The shelf brackets take up way to much space.

I'm actuallt getting kinda nervouse with the weight it is holding. The lumber on the bottom is about 300bf of birdseye maple. The top shelf is all highly figured quilted maple. The weight of the bubinga has me scared. The rack is right next to my gass meter. I need a heated barn!

Um...there's still space on that rack, Patrick... :D :D :D

John K Jordan
01-12-2017, 9:05 AM
Uhm not really.

Maybe for some short stuff. The shelf brackets take up way to much space.

I'm actuallt getting kinda nervouse with the weight it is holding. The lumber on the bottom is about 300bf of birdseye maple. The top shelf is all highly figured quilted maple. The weight of the bubinga has me scared. The rack is right next to my gass meter. I need a heated barn!

Patrick, I wouldn't do this for just anyone but I have room for it and don't mind driving the truck from TN to help you with your problem. I could even stop by Jim's place on the way back and leave some there. Anything to help out a woodworker. Before I come, please succumb to temptation and get some 12 and 16/4 also. Great for wood turning.

I have one block about 12"x12"x5", sitting on my shelf for 10 years now, waiting for me to feel proficient enough to put it on the lathe.

JKJ

Jim Becker
01-12-2017, 5:01 PM
Sorry, John...I'm allergic (really) to bubinga, so any "storage" at my shop will have to be alternate species... :D

Nick Decker
01-12-2017, 6:09 PM
Jim, you are not alone. A year or so ago I made a small project with bubinga. About the same time, my hands started breaking out with a rash like I'd never seen before. I didn't think to connect the two events, and went to a dermotologist, who said it looked like palmar pustilosis, a relative of psoriosis. This didn't surprise me as I've had mild psoriosis for many years.

As soon as I finished the project, the problem went away. On a couple of occasions since then I've handled pieces of bubinga and the problem starts up again. Gotta be an allergic reaction.

Sorry, John...I'm allergic (really) to bubinga, so any "storage" at my shop will have to be alternate species... :D

John K Jordan
01-12-2017, 8:42 PM
Cocobolo does that to me, if I get the dust on my skin and it stays for longer than a few minutes. "Unfortunately," I have a lot of cocobolo. If I wear long sleeves and use some hand lotion before sanding, no problem. (Those paper jackets used by the staff at my dentist work well)

I've also had a mild rash from Eastern Red Cedar years ago when it got under a watch stayed there a while. I use the DC and the respirator on those and other woods when sanding.

BTW, a way to test sensitivity to specific species is put a little sawdust under a bandaid on your forearm.

JKJ

Jim Becker
01-12-2017, 9:11 PM
I discovered my issue with this species when I did this large platter project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?11877-Bubinga-Platter-with-Carving-Redux-Complete&highlight=Bubinga) a number of years ago...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=10263&d=1094770809

Patrick Walsh
01-12-2017, 9:22 PM
Well lets hope i have no issues with the species.

I have yet to work with mine. The first pile of 8/4 on the top rack was some of the first lumber i purchased when i first started into woodworking as a hobby. This was also about the same time i got the wood collecting bug.

I think i spent like $8-900 bucks on it. At the time i had gone looking for some mahogany for a project, the mahogany they had was all junk but this was in the adjacent bin. I really had no idea what it was but just had to have it. On the way home i couldnt believe i had just soent so much money on three pieces of wood.

Anyway i told myself i would save it till i was a well versed craftsman. Looks like ill be saving all this lumber quite a while longer both on account of my skill level and it being added to the endangered list.

Jim Becker
01-13-2017, 9:25 AM
Just take caution from the beginning. It's not unusual for some folks to have reactions to certain tropical and domestic species. I know someone locally who was essentially disabled from woodworking due to a horrid reaction to black walnut a number of years ago. It even made him more sensitive to other things, such that to do his work as a locksmith, he has to wear gloves and a mask when drilling in pine for a lockset. It's the nature of things sometimes...