Frederick Skelly
01-04-2017, 6:35 AM
So true. :)

Nick Decker
01-04-2017, 8:28 AM
Excellent!

Paul F Franklin
01-04-2017, 9:15 AM
LOL...reminds me of the old joke about the stomach, the heart, the brain, and the rectum......

Jerome Stanek
01-04-2017, 11:06 AM
LOL...reminds me of the old joke about the stomach, the heart, the brain, and the rectum......

I almost posted that one

Keith Outten
01-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Electricity is the best bargain of any consumer services or products for that matter. Only a very small percentage of people understand how expensive it is to generate and distribute electrical power. Add to the reasonable costs to purchase power the fact that it touches almost every aspect of our lives every single day and very few services would exist without electric power.

For the record I use to work in the power plant construction trades and later on in life I worked for Virginia Electric and Power Company. I can tell you that in Virginia the power company tells the Governor what to do, if he disagrees he faces the ultimate fist in his face.

Jim Koepke
01-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Add to the reasonable costs to purchase power the fact that it touches almost every aspect of our lives every single day and very few services would exist without electric power.

This is especially true in rural areas. My water comes from a well with an electric pump. We do not have gas service in our home. This means the cooking and heating have to be electric or wood.

Then there is all of the other stuff that wouldn't work if it weren't for the magic of electrons coursing through wires.

jtk

Kev Williams
01-04-2017, 2:33 PM
Some of the most entertaining reading I've ever done is trying to locate some actual code info, and reading how licensed electricians simply will not agree on anything.

Google 'code for romex in conduit', which btw is as vague as "if you don't know what's wrong I'm not telling you!" from an angry wife...

Then read what the experts have to say...

It's why I just try figure out the basics and then do it myself :)

Mark Blatter
01-04-2017, 4:57 PM
Electricity is the best bargain of any consumer services or products for that matter. Only a very small percentage of people understand how expensive it is to generate and distribute electrical power. Add to the reasonable costs to purchase power the fact that it touches almost every aspect of our lives every single day and very few services would exist without electric power.

There is a term for living without electricity. It is called the Stone Age.

I read a book a few years back called One Second After about life after an EMP. Nothing worked, no cooling or heating, no cars (almost) computers, etc. Just like living in 1800.

Wayne Lomman
01-04-2017, 4:59 PM
Jim, I live in a rural area at the very end of the power line. We use electricity for everything we can but water heating is electric, cooking is gas and space heating is firewood so we don't get caught by unreliable supply in one energy source. Cheers

Frederick Skelly
01-04-2017, 7:46 PM

I read a book a few years back called One Second After about life after an EMP. Nothing worked, no cooling or heating, no cars (almost) computers, etc. Just like living in 1800.

I read that book. It scared the devil out of me because it is SO plausible. There's a sequel now too and it's a tad far-fetched but still thought provoking.

Mark Blatter
01-04-2017, 9:45 PM
I read that book. It scared the devil out of me because it is SO plausible. There's a sequel now too and it's a tad far-fetched but still thought provoking.

I didn't know there was a sequel. I will have to get it and read it. Like you, One Second After was, and is, scary. As pointed out in this thread, our lives are almost 100% dependent on electricity. Without it we are simply toast. The skills and knowledge derived from 100 of years is long gone and most simply cannot survive without it. The other concern is the earth getting hit with an event like the 1859 solar storm, or even more powerful. Back into the dark ages we go.

John K Jordan
01-04-2017, 10:10 PM

A big solar flare could also be bad. Look up the Carrington Event in 1879. The only wired infrastructure at the time was the telegraph system there were disruptions, shocks and fires. http://www.history.com/news/a-perfect-solar-superstorm-the-1859-carrington-event
One today would probably take out wired communication, satellites, cell phones, perhaps some power distribution.

There was a big one in 2014 that just missed the Earth.

JKJ

Leo Graywacz
01-04-2017, 10:58 PM

For the record I use to work in the power plant construction trades and later on in life I worked for Virginia Electric and Power Company. I can tell you that in Virginia the power company tells the Governor what to do, if he disagrees he faces the ultimate fist in his face.

Residential electricity is a bargain. Commercial electricity on the other hand is a rip off.

Keith Outten
01-04-2017, 11:06 PM
I purchased a couple solar panels a few months ago intending to dabble a bit and learn more about the technology. I hope to be able at some point to have a solar system that would be able to take care of the bare necessities like my well pump, refrigeration and a few lights. I have a wood stove in the house that we only use during power outages but no options for heating in my shop yet.

I have two of the 250 gallon tanks that I will be setting up to capture rain water from my barn roof to water my garden. I expect they could be used for an alternate source of water if I had no other option.

John K Jordan
01-05-2017, 9:24 AM
I have two of the 250 gallon tanks that I will be setting up to capture rain water from my barn roof to water my garden. I expect they could be used for an alternate source of water if I had no other option.

That's a great idea. I have some 300 gallon tanks and when very dry I've pumped and hauled water from the river to water things. Filtered and treated your rain water could be used in the house.

When we moved to this farm I found a bottle-shaped underground cistern hidden in the overgrowth behind the barn, full of water. Based on other clues, it was probably put in at least 60 years ago. I pumped it out intending to clean it out - but it looked squeaky clean on the bottom! I measured the volume to be about 10,000 gallons. We found three of these, all fed from runoff from the barn and other buildings.

JKJ

Frank Drew
01-05-2017, 11:07 AM

The Amish might disagree.

Malcolm McLeod
01-05-2017, 11:26 AM

The Amish might disagree.

So might the inhabitants of the bronze age, the iron age, the middle ages, the enlightenment, the steam ...well, you know the rest. An EMP or flare might destroy some infrastructure. I doubt it will destroy all the knowledge needed to create that infrastructure. Or we could just let the Neanders care for us.:D

Frank Drew
01-05-2017, 11:49 AM
That's it, Malcolm, the Neanders will launch an EMP and then we'll have to join them!

Wayne Lomman
01-05-2017, 4:17 PM
Spare a thought for how much knowledge is stored electronically before being too confident about how long it will be retained post emp or whatever. Traditional, low technology cultures last for millennia - indigenous Australians for at least 60000 years for example. Civilisations last maybe a thousand years or so before they wipe themselves out. Go figure which part of the cycle Western civilisation is in. If the emp is followed by crisis leadership that belongs to the book burning brigade - check 20th century history - it's end of story.

Now that everyone is nice and cheerful, the original post is a joke published in a trade magazine. It's Australian humour, I guess. Apologies and I will try to do better in future. Caveat emptor however. Cheers